Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 02-01-2010, 03:35 PM   #16
brecklundin
Banned
brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.

Device: mine
Quote:
Originally Posted by lene1949 View Post
The books were there, everything is registered... Didn't have to do a thing.. Oh... and I love the whispernet I've spent a lot of the day looking around on the kindle, been browsing the kindle store.. subscribed to Time Magazine and even bought a book...

I thought using the whispernet would cost extra money - like a mobile phone... but it doesn't.

I am hugely impressed with this unit...
BTW, there are now TWO whole games to distract yourself with as well...one is Minesweeper and the other is GoMoKu:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gomoku
http://ilmk.wordpress.com/2010/01/16...ow-has-gomoku/

Gomoku is a very fun and relaxing game that a person can escape into for a rest. Best of all is while there are complex strategies it is as the same time, very basic in a checkers meets tic-tac-toe sort of fashion and you can play as mindlessly as ya want and won't hate yourself for losing...

Now if they would just get something to let me play my NYT crossword puzzles I might actually keep this thing for more than a couple months.

There are oodles of other easter-eggs as well as short cuts as well...have fun...
brecklundin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2010, 02:28 AM   #17
lene1949
Wizard
lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle paper white
Quote:
Originally Posted by brecklundin View Post
First congrats on a nice reader. I capitulated and bought a 3rd Kindle because I got a great deal on my newest K2i, $159 new from Amazon after my new Audible subscription. I like it well enough. And, well, not gonna find a reader for that price anywhere that is as nice as the K2i, not today anyway.

Something I found made a huge difference was using the K2i Font Hack and switched to the Helvetica font over the default K2i font...made all the difference, had I been forced to read using the default font, I would have just turned around as sold it for the $120ish profit then used the cash to by a Pocketbook reader instead...but the Helvetica makes it a nice reader now.

But Google "kindle font hack", you will need to decide if it's right for you but once you try the different font options (it's tedious as one needs to uninstall the previous hack before trying a different one) you will be surprised at the difference in clarity.

Oh, I believe your K2i is likely running firmware version 2.3 (newest firmware). And the install stuff is pretty easy and you can do it "cookbook" style just following the instructions like reading a cookbook. Here is the page with the fonts and instructions as well as sample images to show the differences even before trying it out:
https://sites.google.com/a/etccreati...kindlev23fonts

There is a thread here with links to the font hack as well, I would post the link but am between laptops until my new one gets here this afternoon and I port everything over. But someone will have it for you if you can't find it.
I really don't think the text could be any clearer. My eyes are 60 years old, and have had problems since the age of 7, but I have no trouble reading on the kindle, not even in poor light.

Yes the version is 2.3.
lene1949 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-02-2010, 02:31 AM   #18
lene1949
Wizard
lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by brecklundin View Post
BTW, there are now TWO whole games to distract yourself with as well...one is Minesweeper and the other is GoMoKu:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gomoku
http://ilmk.wordpress.com/2010/01/16...ow-has-gomoku/

Gomoku is a very fun and relaxing game that a person can escape into for a rest. Best of all is while there are complex strategies it is as the same time, very basic in a checkers meets tic-tac-toe sort of fashion and you can play as mindlessly as ya want and won't hate yourself for losing...

Now if they would just get something to let me play my NYT crossword puzzles I might actually keep this thing for more than a couple months.

There are oodles of other easter-eggs as well as short cuts as well...have fun...
I just read... never been interested in games...
Old 02-02-2010, 03:24 AM   #19
brecklundin
Banned
brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.

Device: mine
Quote:
Originally Posted by lene1949 View Post
I just read... never been interested in games...
don't feel bad on that count...let's just say, 50-ish and been working professionally in the IT field for, well since about when I started in college some 30+ yrs ago...and guess what? Once these computer games go so fancy and complicated...I was happy with solitare...hehehe...seriously that is about as disinterested in computer games a person can be, so I hear ya. Plus, I have ALWAYS been just dreadful at any computer game...I could write the code but play them? Oooooh, heck no!!

I only pointed out the Gomoku game because it is a game that can serve as a nice distraction and you can play serious like a chess game or just for giggles and play it like checkers. Plus the two games are there for another reason, same as why solitaire was included in Windows since, I think V3, but it's a really nice tool to help a person get comfortable with the joy-stick controller, some people can have a heck of a time with something like that and the extra goodies are a fun learning tool. Plus Gomoku can be pretty simulating to the thought processes...I know I can use all the help I can get there anymore. hehehehe...

As for the font, you might be surprised what the difference a font face can make. but if you are happy good for you...many of us aren't and the font hack is the ONLY thing that kept us from either returning our K2's or selling them. For those of use with various eye issues this hack (it's really a hack in the true sense of the word not the modern misuse of the word thanks to the media...being a hacker was once a very good thing...still is but now they have white hat and black hat hacking, well we used a different word for them way back when...)

Now enjoy that good eyesight and read a book. I just picked up Confessions of a Barbarian by Edward Abbey...one of my all time favorite writers. His fiction is a lot of fun and his non-fiction about the desert and his experiences there are just very vivid in how he paints that picture in your head as you read along. I really can't wait to really get into it because very few of his works are to be had as ebooks. but I have to finish a system upgrade and swap so reading time is gonna be short the next few days. sniffsniff...

Oh, if you ever get tired of the "screen savers" you can always replace them or add to them with your own images or even photographs...that is fun too...some folks here have gotten pretty creative and silly with their custom jobs.
brecklundin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2010, 03:31 AM   #20
lene1949
Wizard

I just read another thread, where someone nearly killed his kindle by wanting new fonts... Nah... I'm happy
Advert