Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 01-20-2010, 09:28 PM   #1
bspill
bspill began at the beginning.

Contrast a real problem

Received PRS 900 yesterday. Glare is easy to deal with, but, contrast, is terrible. Compared to my PRS 505, the difference is stunning. I want to keep it, but, I'm concerned it could be a deal breaker. Am I the only one with this issue?
bspill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2010, 09:32 PM   #2
SCION
Séduisant
SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox Note Air2+; Kobo Libra2; Kindle Scribe, Oasis3; iPad Mini6
Don't start it!!! You can't compare it to the 505 because of the touchscreen, hence the less than stellar contrast. Compared to the 600 it is a noticeable improvement, particularly with the smaller fonts.
SCION is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-20-2010, 10:57 PM   #3
Max Introvert
Max Introvert began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-T1
Quote:
Originally Posted by bspill View Post
Received PRS 900 yesterday. Glare is easy to deal with, but, contrast, is terrible. Compared to my PRS 505, the difference is stunning. I want to keep it, but, I'm concerned it could be a deal breaker. Am I the only one with this issue?
Being a former 500 user, I ran into the same problem. This difference *is* noticeable, especially when comparing the two side-by-side. I was also worried that I'd have to return it. However, having had the 900 for a week now as my sole reader, I can say that it gets easier to deal with as time goes on.

I can see why Sony went the touchscreen route, honestly, and why they've kept it despite the drawbacks. The Kindle family needs extra space for a keyboard (the 900 and the K2 are about the same height, but the 900 has a larger screen), and the nook's solution, though novel, is not an easy thing to understand -- in my opinion, a fundamental mistake.

I would suggest giving the 900 a little more time. It will grow on you. Perhaps the most important advice I can give is don't look back!

Last edited by Max Introvert; 01-20-2010 at 11:01 PM. Reason: Grammar
Max Introvert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2010, 10:22 AM   #4
olguy
Enthusiast
olguy began at the beginning.

Device: Sony Daily Reader
I'm glad the 900 is my first ereader. I have enjoyed it for the last 3 days and with nothing to compare it too it's the greatest addition to my toy box I have ever made. Well, almost. I did love my 1984 Toyota SR-5 4 X 4 but that's another story
olguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2010, 10:27 AM   #5
sirmaru
Wizard
sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW 2013, HDX 2013, Galaxy S5 2014
PRS 900 MUCH BETTER

Quote:
Originally Posted by bspill View Post
Use the PRS 900 in Landscape Mode with the fonts large enough to be clear to you. The PRS 900 Fonts are a lot better than the PRS 505 fonts. I have both. However, the PRS 505 has a whiter background.

I find the PRS 900 way ahead of the PRS 505 in clarity and functions.
sirmaru is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-21-2010, 11:14 AM   #6
pdp21stcentury
pdp21stcentury began at the beginning.

Device: SONY PRS-300
My prs 300 is a delight in daylight - to me anyway - the screen relaly looks like paper . Mind you this is the UK and strong sunlight is very rare - we have lots of clouds though ..
pdp21stcentury is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2010, 12:40 PM   #7
Kolenka
<Insert Wit Here>
Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Kobo Forma
The 900 in daylight is one of the areas it is strong, and the touchscreen seems to 'fade away' and let the EPD shine.

It's these low light situations that cause problems, as the touchscreen reflects more light that never makes it to the EPD layer compared to the 300.
Kolenka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2010, 03:33 PM   #8
krighton
Addict
krighton is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.krighton is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.krighton is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.krighton is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.krighton is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.krighton is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.krighton is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.krighton is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.krighton is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.krighton is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.krighton is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.

Device: sony reader
i'm a former 505 user....don't see a big difference really...just get a light for dark situations. I used one all the time with the 505 so no big diff there. Contrast is definately not a game breaker, like the title suggests.
krighton is offline   Reply With Quote