Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 12-03-2009, 07:20 AM   #1
crutnacker
Connoisseur
crutnacker has learned how to read e-bookscrutnacker has learned how to read e-bookscrutnacker has learned how to read e-bookscrutnacker has learned how to read e-bookscrutnacker has learned how to read e-bookscrutnacker has learned how to read e-bookscrutnacker has learned how to read e-books

Device: None
Why should I get a SONY reader over a Kindle or nook?

I understand the idea that SONY uses more open formats, but let's assume I'm a guy who likes best sellers and new content. Given the price premium for SONY (at least for the readers that have a lot of features), why should I get a SONY over others?

I'm genuinely interested because I like the look of SONY readers, but think the Kindle and nook feature sets might be more important to me. Having never used any of them, I don't really know.
crutnacker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2009, 07:25 AM   #2
ficbot
Wizard
ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite/iOS Kindle App
Kindle can't read epub library books. My library has over 400 best-seller new release type of library books, so for me this would be a deal-breaker.
ficbot is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-03-2009, 07:50 AM   #3
nick101
Groupie
nick101 can extract oil from cheesenick101 can extract oil from cheesenick101 can extract oil from cheesenick101 can extract oil from cheesenick101 can extract oil from cheesenick101 can extract oil from cheesenick101 can extract oil from cheesenick101 can extract oil from cheesenick101 can extract oil from cheese

Device: Sony PRS-600 Touch, iPhone
I don't see a great price premium for the Sony. It's widely available,m and there are some decent offers. There's no price competition for the Kindle or the Nook, since they're only available from Amazon and B&N respectively.

I'd hold off on the Nook for a while - bound to be some teething troubles with the early ones

If you're happy withe the Amazon lock-in, the Kindle's a decent buy. If you're not, the Sony is a better bet.

But don;t forget that there are other multi-format readers around. Sony's not the only choice (much as I love mine)
nick101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2009, 08:10 AM   #4
Katti's Cat
Wizard
Katti's Cat can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Katti's Cat can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Katti's Cat can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Katti's Cat can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Katti's Cat can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Katti's Cat can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Katti's Cat can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Katti's Cat can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Katti's Cat can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Katti's Cat can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Katti's Cat can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: Sony PRS-600
I opted against the Kindle purely for the fact that I would be forced to buy from Amazon - I don't like that. The Sony allows me (geographical restrictions permitting) to buy whereever I want. Sure, it is convenient to go to one store, but the concept goes against my grain.
Katti's Cat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2009, 02:25 PM   #5
rvdparis
Connoisseur
rvdparis doesn't litterrvdparis doesn't litter

Device: Kindle Touch + iPad 1 + iPhone 4
The Kindle doesn't have a touchscreen...? Doesn't seem 'natural' to me...
rvdparis is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-03-2009, 03:09 PM   #6
DougFNJ
Avid Reader
DougFNJ is no ebook tyro.DougFNJ is no ebook tyro.DougFNJ is no ebook tyro.DougFNJ is no ebook tyro.DougFNJ is no ebook tyro.DougFNJ is no ebook tyro.DougFNJ is no ebook tyro.DougFNJ is no ebook tyro.DougFNJ is no ebook tyro.DougFNJ is no ebook tyro.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite Signature, 2TB iPad Pro 11”
I personally don't like the look and size of the Kindle. The Keyboard is nice to have, but I prefer the touchscreen with the on screen keyboard. I like my technology to be compact and versatile....nothing beats the touchscreen IMHO. The Nook looks nice, but preference for me is for the Sony Reader.
DougFNJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2009, 03:28 PM   #7
FragFrog
Connoisseur
FragFrog began at the beginning.

Device: PRS-600
On the one hand I want my reader to be as small as possible to make it easier to hold in my hand while reading (especially on busses / trains / planes where you cannot generally prop it up somewhere), yet on the other I want a reader to be as big as possible to maximize screen size. Ideally this means getting as little excess 'junk' on the reader as can be. For this reason alone both the Nook as well as the Kindle II are not my preferred choice - sure, they might make great devices, but if I wanted a device I can type on or watch tiny color videos on (and not even well if I am to believe the stories) I would get out my laptop.

For the Kindle DX this is somewhat less of an issue, yet there comes Amazons lockin into play - they are just a tad bit too happy to oblige publishers with restrictions on what you can buy where and whom exactly that content belongs to after you "buy" it.

Mind you, if I had the money I would toss the Sony and get an iRex DR800 / DR1000 for pretty much the reasons mentioned above.

Last edited by FragFrog; 12-03-2009 at 03:31 PM.
FragFrog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2009, 03:58 PM   #8
Ea
Wizard
Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3|iPad air|iPhone 4S
Quote:
Originally Posted by DougFNJ View Post
I personally don't like the look and size of the Kindle. The Keyboard is nice to have, but I prefer the touchscreen with the on screen keyboard. I like my technology to be compact and versatile....nothing beats the touchscreen IMHO. The Nook looks nice, but preference for me is for the Sony Reader.
I know it's different for different people, but I can type much faster with the Kindle keyboard than I have ever been able to with a Dell PDA, an iPod Touch and the iRex readers. I think, for me, it's the lack of physical feedback that's the problem. I really have to see what I'm doing if it's touch screen. With the Kindle I only need a glance and I can feel the button, and so my eyes can glance towards the next button. It just felt so much more comfortable right from the start.

The Sony is really nice though, and if it wasn't because I usually de-DRM books I buy, I would have had serious doubts about the Kindle because of Amazon's locking-in policy. I re-read a lot, so I want to be able to access my books in the long-term future - also if I get a new device. I think epub is - ATM - the best bet.

Last edited by Ea; 12-03-2009 at 04:01 PM.
Ea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2009, 04:39 PM   #9
mxgamon
mxgamon began at the beginning.

Device: PRS900
Quote:
Originally Posted by ficbot View Post
Kindle can't read epub library books. My library has over 400 best-seller new release type of library books, so for me this would be a deal-breaker.
Wish my library had ANY ebooks - they have audiobooks only. Where is your library?

If I get a Sony, where besides the Sony store can I purchase new release popular books? If I use the Sony store, does the DRM restrict what device I can play it on, besides my computer? Can the DRM be removed?
mxgamon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2009, 04:47 PM   #10
Ea
Wizard
Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3|iPad air|iPhone 4S
Quote:
Originally Posted by mxgamon View Post
Wish my library had ANY ebooks - they have audiobooks only. Where is your library?

If I get a Sony, where besides the Sony store can I purchase new release popular books? If I use the Sony store, does the DRM restrict what device I can play it on, besides my computer? Can the DRM be removed?
Any store that sells Adobe Digital Edition DRM'd epub (which is most of them (except - at the moment - B&N?))

For example:
fictionwise.com
diesel-ebooks.com
booksonboard.com
cyberread.com
waterstones.co.uk
ebooks.whsmith.co.uk
baen books (webscription.net) DRM free

...and probably many more. Not all of them sell all of their books in epub though.

Try to google this: 'inept adept epub'
Ea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2009, 07:13 PM   #11
mxgamon
mxgamon began at the beginning.

Device: PRS900
Looking up popular novels on Fictionwise, most seem to to be in Secure Mobipocket and/or eReader. Unless I'm mistaken, Sony readers cannot read either, or can they?
mxgamon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2009, 07:46 PM   #12
budalb
Enthusiast
budalb knows what is on the back of the AURYN.budalb knows what is on the back of the AURYN.budalb knows what is on the back of the AURYN.budalb knows what is on the back of the AURYN.budalb knows what is on the back of the AURYN.budalb knows what is on the back of the AURYN.budalb knows what is on the back of the AURYN.budalb knows what is on the back of the AURYN.budalb knows what is on the back of the AURYN.budalb knows what is on the back of the AURYN.budalb knows what is on the back of the AURYN.

Device: Kindle DXG, Sony PRS-600
Two reasons for me to buy Sony. 1) epub support, 2) SD card. Actually Nook has both and 3G +wifi. But Nook is bigger. I don't want to buy from BN. Not sure it's wifi function. BTW I got a good deal from Walmart.com. The only good thing of Kindle is free Gmail.
budalb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2009, 10:01 PM   #13
Haesslich
Fanatic
Haesslich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Haesslich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Haesslich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Haesslich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Haesslich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Haesslich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Haesslich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Haesslich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Haesslich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Haesslich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Haesslich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch,Glo,Mini,Aura/HD/One,H20, Sony PRS-300/600, Kindle 3-PW
There's also the whole 'Sony can't reach over the air or through Sony Ebook Library and start deleting titles off my reader' issue that Amazon's already invoked once. Even APPLE has been careful about not using the killswitch on any apps they currently offer in the app store - they'll just remove it from the listings, which means you can't get it... and that's it. Knowing Amazon can, and is more than willing, to go into your Kindle to start deleting books is.. well, it's a good incentive to not go Kindle.

Of course, for extra irony points, they had to start this practice with 1984..
Haesslich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2009, 11:38 PM   #14
Solitaire1
Samurai Lizard
Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: NookColor
One of the main factors that led me to choose the Sony Reader (I purchased my first one before the Kindle was released) is that I can put my own ebooks on my reader without having to go through an external agency. Among the types of ebooks I like to put on my reader are stories that I've written so I can read and review them. A related factor is that it supports many common ebook formats so I can make my own ebooks for my reader.

When I first heard about the Kindle, it looked interesting. Unfortunately, the one thing that made it a "no go" for me was the requirement to send my ebooks to Amazon so they can put them on my Kindle (this may not have been true or may no longer be true, but that is what I understood when I first heard of the Kindle). For me, just the possibility that that might be true was not acceptable and it caused me to not consider the Kindle when choosing to upgrade my ebook reader (I chose a Sony PRS-505).

Although my Sony Reader isn't as fancy as the other ebook readers on the market, it does a terrific job as an ebook reader. When I upgraded to the PRS-505, it added features that dealt with the main limitations I found with the PRS-500 (such as not being able to quickly go to an exact page, and not being able to put collections on a memory card).

Although there are some features I'd like to see added to future versions of the Sony Reader (such as the ability to select a display typeface for all plain text and RTF files), I've been very pleased with my PRS-505. It is likely I will stay with the Sony Reader when it comes time to upgrade once again.
Solitaire1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2009, 01:13 AM   #15
ficbot
Wizard
ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite/iOS Kindle App
Quote:
Originally Posted by mxgamon View Post
Looking up popular novels on Fictionwise, most seem to to be in Secure Mobipocket and/or eReader. Unless I'm mistaken, Sony readers cannot read either, or can they?
Not without 'liberation' via special scripts. But then, the Kindle is in the same boat on that one. There is currently not a book-sized (i.e. non-smartphone) device which supports secure eReader.
ficbot is offline   Reply With Quote