Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 07-09-2009, 06:54 PM   #1
basschick
Wizard
basschick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.basschick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.basschick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.basschick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.basschick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.basschick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.basschick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.basschick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.basschick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.basschick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.basschick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
what reader(s) read secure PDFs?

i'm reviewing a site that offers their comics in secure PDF format only. i wrote to them asking if they knew if their comics could be read by larger format readers like the illiad, kindle dx or sony 700. they hadn't heard of any of them - or ebook readers at all, actually - and explained that their comics were created for desktop computers, laptops and netbooks.

so anyone here know which large format readers can read protected pdf's that come as .pdc files? also is it standard for such files to only install if the computer has no screencap software?

thanks!
basschick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2009, 06:58 PM   #2
Moejoe
Banned
Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.

Device: Coffin
Quote:
Originally Posted by basschick View Post
also is it standard for such files to only install if the computer has no screencap software?

thanks!
Seriously? That's one of their conditions? I wouldn't give a company that institutes that policy one farthing of my money. They don't deserve a penny.
Moejoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-09-2009, 07:28 PM   #3
Elfwreck
Grand Sorcerer
Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD3 (Past: Kobo Mini, PEZ, PRS-505, Clié)
From locklizard's page about their PDF security, it sounds like the actual files reside on a server, and are accessed through special software, not copied to the viewing computer at all. In that case, they'd only be readable when the computer is online, and not transferable to mobile devices.

(Or maybe the encryption key is tied to the web if the copy is not. It's hard to sort out exactly what they mean, and I suspect some of that is deliberate.)
Elfwreck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2009, 07:49 PM   #4
griffonwing
Suave Swabby, Savvy?
griffonwing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.griffonwing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.griffonwing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.griffonwing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.griffonwing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.griffonwing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.griffonwing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.griffonwing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.griffonwing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.griffonwing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.griffonwing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Slate Blue PEZ (Astak Pocket Pro), CVSCX-9300 Quad-band watch phone
Give it a week, there'll be a crack for it.
griffonwing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2009, 07:53 PM   #5
basschick
Wizard
basschick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.basschick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.basschick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.basschick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.basschick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.basschick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.basschick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.basschick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.basschick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.basschick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.basschick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

i'm not. i'm getting paid to review their site and content. the sad part is the content is beautiful if you're into gay erotica. very high end professional stuff from an extremely well known artist, but SO restricted it would be better for buyers imo just to buy the paper comic books.

btw, they don't tell you this - you discover it on your own.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moejoe View Post
Seriously? That's one of their conditions? I wouldn't give a company that institutes that policy one farthing of my money. They don't deserve a penny.
the comics reside on your harddrive. i refused to deal with them, so i had one of my minions download a couple. each took up over 400 mb on his harddrive. i figured this is a form of DRM that "phones home". it didn't seem that their support had a clearer understanding than i do - even less in some areas.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elfwreck View Post
From locklizard's page about their PDF security, it sounds like the actual files reside on a server, and are accessed through special software, not copied to the viewing computer at all. In that case, they'd only be readable when the computer is online, and not transferable to mobile devices.

(Or maybe the encryption key is tied to the web if the copy is not. It's hard to sort out exactly what they mean, and I suspect some of that is deliberate.)
i'm a paid reviewer here - i didn't have to pay to view the comics originally we strongly recommended they do a subscription website rather than this DRM stuff that people won't want to deal with.

Quote:
Originally Posted by griffonwing View Post
Give it a week, there'll be a crack for it.

Last edited by basschick; 07-09-2009 at 07:55 PM.
Advert
Old 07-09-2009, 08:05 PM   #6
Elfwreck
Grand Sorcerer
Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD3 (Past: Kobo Mini, PEZ, PRS-505, Clié)
400mb each! What are they, 300dpi uncompressed jpgs? Uncompressed tifs?

I hope your review will mention the technical hassles involved.
Elfwreck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2009, 08:08 PM   #7
basschick
Wizard

the site i am writing this for only posts accurate reviews, so of course i'll be mentioning these issues - they're the sort of things potential buyers will want to know about. the sad part is that anyone who really wants to steal the content can still whip out a good quality DSL and photograph the comics off a good quality LCD monitor - the only people this kind of restrictions will inconvenience is their legitimate readers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elfwreck View Post
400mb each! What are they, 300dpi uncompressed jpgs? Uncompressed tifs?

I hope your review will mention the technical hassles involved.
Old 07-09-2009, 09:42 PM   #8
Jill74
Banned
Jill74 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Jill74 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Jill74 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Jill74 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Jill74 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Sony Reader 505
I never heard about them before. Well anyway, thanks for making me aware of it.

Jill74 is offline   Reply With Quote