Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Lounge

Notices

Old 06-19-2009, 10:37 AM   #1
Jellby
frumious Bandersnatch
Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybook Orizon, Kobo Aura
Advice: MP3 player

Hi all,

I've been looking for an MP3 player, and I can't find what I want (but at the moment I'm just looking, I'm probably not buying anyway).

I don't want a portable-sleek-video-touch-gadget, I want something for home use, and that can read music files from an external USB drive, and that does not need to be connected to a TV or monitor for operation. My idea would some kind of "separate" as used with hi-fi systems, or like a car stereo, but with good options for playing and selecting songs, albums, etc. from a music library stored in an external drive. With "good options" I mean I can choose an album, or several artists, or whatever and have the songs play sequentially, randomly, etc. and, my favourite, play a random album.

I don't know if such a thing exists, but my main problem is that I don't know how to search it. I'm beginning to think I would need to get a cheap netbook for this.

So, do you know of something similar to what I'm looking for? Some place to have a look? Search terms appropriate for this?

Thanks
Jellby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2009, 12:08 PM   #2
balok
Ugly alien
balok doesn't litterbalok doesn't litterbalok doesn't litter

Device: tricorder
How about a wifi receiver? Lets you stream music from your hard drive to another room. It's not portable though, you need to plug it into the power outlet. I doubt there exists portable versions because of the battery power required for wifi. But then again, you could always use a pda on a home network if you want a portable solution.
balok is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-19-2009, 12:26 PM   #3
toomanybooks
Addict
toomanybooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toomanybooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toomanybooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toomanybooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toomanybooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toomanybooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toomanybooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toomanybooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toomanybooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toomanybooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toomanybooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Ipad, Ipod Touch, KIndle Fire
Try looking at the Archos 120GB wifi enabled media players. I have heard good things about them.
toomanybooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2009, 12:30 PM   #4
Jellby
frumious Bandersnatch
Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybook Orizon, Kobo Aura
Quote:
Originally Posted by balok View Post
How about a wifi receiver? Lets you stream music from your hard drive to another room. It's not portable though, you need to plug it into the power outlet. I doubt there exists portable versions because of the battery power required for wifi. But then again, you could always use a pda on a home network if you want a portable solution.
I don't want it to be portable (I wouldn't mind, but I don't need it). But a wifi receiver is no good, I don't want to use a computer, I just want a stand-alone MP3 player that reads from external storage.

Something like this, but without the "all-in-one", just the part that says "separate interface inputs for USB memory sticks carrying audio files" plus the interface.
Jellby is offline   Reply With Quote