Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > iRex

Notices

Old 04-21-2009, 11:22 AM   #1
Cliffe
Cliffe began at the beginning.

Device: DR1000S
Smile I love my new DR1000S, thoughts & questions, 3rd Party Software

I read a lot about the DR1000S before buying it so I wasn't surprised by any of its bugs or quirks. I am very happy with my purchase. I have lots of big technical documents, so it is perfect.

I am in Australia. I shopped around and did some calculations and the cheapest price was from iliadreader.co.uk including postage and the slim cover (which is great). Funnily enough the Australian distributor dadirect was the most expensive: AU$462 more than buying and shipping from England!

The battery life seems pretty good. Although the auto shutdown is pretty annoying, it will be good when there is a hibernate mode, I’d like it to return to the state it was in when it was turned off. The most annoying bug is when waking it up with the stylus and having to use the menu to disable and re-enable it to get it working again. The trick is to remember to wake it up with a side-middle button tap.

I have found it is great for sketching. However when I use the merge feature of the irex companion software the resulting PDF looks nothing like my drawing as shown on the DR. The lines are big disjoint and chunky.

I would love to find a third party application which was designed for drawing. The Xournal program port would be great if the lines appeared as you drew them.

I also have leafpad and FBReader, both great additions to the reader. What other programs exist? Is there a site or forum thread which collects links to all the third party apps compiled for the DR? If not could someone create a sticky thread?

And another question: Does the DR charge when plugged in and turned off?

Thanks!
Cliffe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2009, 11:05 AM   #2
KingDani
Zealot
KingDani began at the beginning.

Device: iRex DR1000s,Gigabyte U60 UMPC, SmartQ v7,EKEN M001
sorry but what irex software companion? is there any that i'm not aware of? does it extract content you wrote on pdf files?
as for your last question:yes it does.
KingDani is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-23-2009, 12:44 PM   #3
pthwaite
Fanatic
pthwaite has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.pthwaite has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.pthwaite has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.pthwaite has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.pthwaite has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: DR1000S Sony PRS505 iPad iPhone
The Windows only companion software that is on the SD card in your DR1000s. It's "use" and I say that with a pinch of salt, is detailed in the documentation.

The merge function from iRex does leave a lot to be desired, I too find it very "rough". The alternative merge softwares developed by others and found within this forum are streets ahead at present. I think packaged versions for Windows and Mac are available if you read the forum on scribble merging.
pthwaite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2009, 10:02 AM   #4
KingDani
Zealot
KingDani began at the beginning.

Device: iRex DR1000s,Gigabyte U60 UMPC, SmartQ v7,EKEN M001
thnx for the info.
KingDani is offline   Reply With Quote