Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 03-22-2009, 09:43 PM   #1
vrf3
vrf3 began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-505
Calibre appears in processes but does not start in vista

help.
I've been using Calibre for some time now but recently after updating to .502 whenever I start Calibre, it does not run but when I start it again it says that Caliibre is already running and when I check it is running in the processes.

I am runing Windows Vista with the latest Service Pack

thanks in advance!
vrf3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2009, 11:03 PM   #2
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
In a terminal start calibre as

calibre-debug -g

and post the output
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-23-2009, 12:25 AM   #3
vrf3

Thanks for the reply!
I've been doing that but it just says "link hasn't been detected!" twice and then it just hangs. I haven't stopped the last run and it's been an hour so far like that.
Old 03-23-2009, 12:31 AM   #4
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

use the process manager to kill the last run and then try it
Old 03-23-2009, 12:35 AM   #5
vrf3

Sorry if I wasn't clear, I meant that the last run of the "calibre-debug -g" has been running for an hour now. I was waiting to see what will happen. There are currently no other calibre processes running.
Advert
Old 03-23-2009, 12:36 AM   #6
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre

Ah and you see no calibre window at all? What about a system tray icon?
Old 03-23-2009, 12:43 AM   #7
vrf3

none at all.
when I run calibre, the interface doesn't appear but when I check task manager, the calibre.exe process is there!
Old 03-23-2009, 12:46 AM   #8
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre

try temporarily disabling your antivirus
Old 03-23-2009, 12:49 AM   #9
vrf3

I'll try that now. But I just wanted to add that I've just run calibre .5.2 on my laptop with Windows Xp and its running ok! Could this be a Vista problem? The two machines also have the same antivirus, Kaspersky.
Old 03-23-2009, 12:51 AM   #10
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre

kaspersky is a walking talking disaster as far as runnign calibre is concerned, that would be my first suspect. calibre works fine on vista and even windows 7
Old 03-23-2009, 01:06 AM   #11
vrf3

I know! I'm running Calibre right now in another laptop with Windows 7. I think its a Vista problem. Both my XP and Win7 laptops are running calibre fine right now and I didn't need to reove Kaspersky on the WinXP machine. My Vista PC has no antivirus or anti anything right now and it's still having the same problem with calibre. I'm gonna try and reinstall and update some of the someware here and see if anything happens.
Im ok as long as I can run Calibre on one of my machines

Thanks very much for the quick replies!

And keep up the good work! I don't know how I would have survived without calibre!