Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 03-12-2009, 03:52 AM   #1
ozan
Enthusiast
ozan began at the beginning.

Device: SONY PRS-505
Just ordered a PRS-505 and joined the forum.

Hi all,

I just placed an order for a PRS-505 (silver), and needless to say I am excited! I've started to read number of threads in this forum already, and the amount of information regarding conversions, hacks/modifications and content is amazing. Great forum/community!

I would like to ask the guru what kind of preparations (e.g., programs to load, websites to visit for content, etc) I should start thinking about before it is delivered (Tuesday).

I must confess that I've slowed down on my readings due to heavy work schedule, and I am hoping that the SONY reader will kindle my love for reading again

Thanks in advance!
ozan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2009, 07:06 AM   #2
Juggle4Evr
Connoisseur
Juggle4Evr doesn't litterJuggle4Evr doesn't litter

Device: PRS-505, PRS-600, Cybook Opus
Congratulations!

If you're ok with copyright-free books (Gutenberg etc.) you can go to https://www.mobileread.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=126 and download what you like. You even don't need any software installed. Just plugin the reader to your PC and copy the files.
Have fun!
Juergen
Juggle4Evr is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-12-2009, 09:02 AM   #3
DDHarriman
Guru
DDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura about

Device: Cybook Gen3, Sony PRS 505, Kindle DXG and Samsung Galaxy Note
Hi ozan

Congratulations, you are going to love your new toy.

Advices:
1 - this you have already begin to do - these forums have everything you need to know, so keep on reading and experimenting;
2 - get Calibre - check all the details at Calibre’s forum space.
3 - That’s all!

Good reading,
DDHarriman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2009, 09:19 AM   #4
lilac_jive
Grand Sorcerer
lilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud of

Device: PRS-505
Congrats! Where did you get it?

You can preload the ebook software before you get your device by going to ebookstore.sony.com, and clicking one of the download links. Just be sure to register your device when you get it
lilac_jive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2009, 10:36 AM   #5
grooks
Wizard
grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.

Device: Pocketbook Era, Kobo Forma
What country do you reside?

If you live in the U.S. check your local library to see if they have ebooks available for check-out. You can borrow an ebook for either 14 or 21 days then it automatically returns itself upon expiration. All that is need is a library card and Adobe Digital Editions software (ADE).
grooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-12-2009, 11:05 AM   #6
sdmama
Enthusiast
sdmama doesn't littersdmama doesn't litter

Device: Sony Reader 505 and 700 and Kindle 2
I hope your wait is shorter than mine. I ordered my Reader on Feb. 22 and I'm still waiting. One of those Murphy Law "anything that can go wrong will go wrong" debacles. I guess it will be that more exciting when it eventually finds its way home...

I haven't downloaded the Calibre software yet, but I have been accumulating free ebooks. I also updated my library account to include access to ebooks and eaudiobooks.

You can also decide on a name for your Reader. Mine's name is Scooter. I just wish I knew where he was in this big old world of ours.

Enjoy!
sdmama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2009, 01:09 PM   #7
MickeyC
Grand Sorcerer
MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 6 plus, Sony T1, iPad 3
Hi ozan and welcome to MobileRead. I've had a 505 for over a year now and really like it. Be sure and let us know when you get yours and how you like it
MickeyC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2009, 04:00 PM   #8
ozan
Enthusiast

Thanks for all the replies. I feel welcomed already

I ordered mine from Staples (out of all places). I've had a hefty rewards check from them and was looking for something to use it. When I realized that they started to sell the PRS-505, it took 5 seconds to order it. It will be here on Tuesday.

I am located in Los Angeles, CA. I'll definitely check the libraries around me, as well as UCLA resources, to see if I can barrow e-books.

I already created an account with SonyConnect and authorized both my desktop and laptop computers. As soon as I receive my reader, I'll register it and start downloading books through their "100 classics" offer.

I will install Calibre today and start exploring it.

The forum is filled with information and there is so much to read

Thanks again for the replies and welcomes!
Old 03-12-2009, 04:12 PM   #9
AbFabGab
Gadget-Luster
AbFabGab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AbFabGab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AbFabGab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AbFabGab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AbFabGab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AbFabGab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AbFabGab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AbFabGab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AbFabGab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AbFabGab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AbFabGab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, Samsung Galaxy Tab S2
Quote:
Originally Posted by grooks View Post
What country do you reside?

If you live in the U.S. check your local library to see if they have ebooks available for check-out. You can borrow an ebook for either 14 or 21 days then it automatically returns itself upon expiration. All that is need is a library card and Adobe Digital Editions software (ADE).
Also, with ADE library books.. they can be returned early.
Then you can check out even more books!
(the libraries usually have a set number of books you can
have checked out at a time)
AbFabGab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2009, 04:15 PM   #10
AbFabGab
Gadget-Luster
AbFabGab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AbFabGab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AbFabGab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AbFabGab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AbFabGab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AbFabGab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AbFabGab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AbFabGab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AbFabGab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AbFabGab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AbFabGab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, Samsung Galaxy Tab S2
Ozan,

check out the wiki library link:
https://wiki.mobileread.com/wiki/EBook_Lending_Libraries

Enjoy your new reader!
AbFabGab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2009, 04:36 PM   #11
sdmama
Enthusiast
sdmama doesn't littersdmama doesn't litter

Device: Sony Reader 505 and 700 and Kindle 2
Definitely get signed up to access the LA County library system. I'm not sure if L.A. city has a separate library system like we do in San Diego, but I would sign up there, too. I plan on getting a LA Country library card next time I visit my dad. Then I'll get a SF library and San Jose library card next time I visit my sister. The more, the merrier. The selection at the San Diego library is a little disappointing and the SD County library has eaudiobooks but no ebooks.

Since you paid good money for your reader, I would take advantage of the library system for some free books. Free is my favorite price!

Enjoy!
sdmama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2009, 05:22 PM   #12
dordale
Wizard
dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-650 & 350; Kindle Voyage; Kobo Aura HD, Aura One, and Forma
sdmama--

I agree with your philosophy about the more library cards the merrier! I have a Sacramento library card, a San Jose library card, and a New York Public Library Card (that I had to pay a non-resident fee of $100 for). I'm looking for a reason to go to Southern CA to get some other cards

I do think the NY card is well worth $100 for--they have a huge selection of both e-books and audio books.

dordale
dordale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2009, 07:54 PM   #13
sammsmom
Enthusiast
sammsmom doesn't littersammsmom doesn't litter

Device: Kindle 2
My reader totally sparked my love for reading again. It is so much more convenient than packing around a hardback or even a paperback. I love mine and I know that you will love yours.
sammsmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2009, 08:22 PM   #14
MarciaCat
Cat Lady & Trekkie
MarciaCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MarciaCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MarciaCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MarciaCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MarciaCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MarciaCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MarciaCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MarciaCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MarciaCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MarciaCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MarciaCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra, Kobo Aura & Aura H20
Welcome! I'm sure you'll love your Reader!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdmama View Post
Definitely get signed up to access the LA County library system. I'm not sure if L.A. city has a separate library system like we do in San Diego, but I would sign up there, too. I plan on getting a LA Country library card next time I visit my dad. Then I'll get a SF library and San Jose library card next time I visit my sister. The more, the merrier. The selection at the San Diego library is a little disappointing and the SD County library has eaudiobooks but no ebooks.

Since you paid good money for your reader, I would take advantage of the library system for some free books. Free is my favorite price!

Enjoy!
Tell me about it! I haven't seen anything I'm interested in at the SDPL.
MarciaCat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2009, 09:03 PM   #15
ozan
Enthusiast

Thanks again everyone! Great information while I wait for my reader.