Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Formats > Kindle Formats

Notices

Old 12-08-2008, 06:07 AM   #1
AlexBell
Wizard
AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS T3, Kobo Glo, Kindle Touch, iPad, Samsung SB 2 tablet
Mobi2mobi GUI has died again/New version?

Some time ago I started a thread because mobi2mobi GUI ver 0.13 had died. It suddenly began to freeze as soon as I tried to open a file to be changed. Soon after that I found that it started to work again after I cleaned the registry.

It died again this afternoon, and though I have cleaned the registry again it still locks up when I select a file. I have to use Alt-Cntrl-Delete which initially says the program is running, but then says it is not responding when I try to end the task. I've noticed this time that if I then close down Windows XP I get a message that CMD.exe is not responding.

Does anyone have a fix? I'm really dependent on the program since the metadata of most new ebooks is faulty for one reason or another.

Also, I have downloaded and extracted mobiperl-win0.0.41.zip (which I understood to be a new version of the GUI) and extracted it into its own folder. I don't see a readme.txt file and certainly don't see anyway of running it as a GUI. What am I doing wrong?

Regards, Alex
AlexBell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2008, 06:28 AM   #2
tompe
Grand Sorcerer
tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Nexus 5, Kindle PW
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexBell View Post
Also, I have downloaded and extracted mobiperl-win0.0.41.zip (which I understood to be a new version of the GUI) and extracted it into its own folder. I don't see a readme.txt file and certainly don't see anyway of running it as a GUI. What am I doing wrong?
This is the command line programs that are used by the GUI program. It is not a new version of the GUI.
tompe is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-08-2008, 09:28 PM   #3
AlexBell
Wizard
AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Thanks, Tompe.

I guess I should have realised that from the file name.

Could you point me please to a help file showing the command line syntax to use the non GUI Windows version?

Regards, Alex
Old 12-09-2008, 03:43 PM   #4
bwaldron
Wizard
bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles: Paperwhite Signature Ed., Oasis 2, Voyage
Quote:
Could you point me please to a help file showing the command line syntax to use the non GUI Windows version?
See this

If you have Perl installed on your machine, you might want to try running the GUI version with the Perl version of mobi2mobi and the "use Perl" option in the GUI. For some reason, I have always had problems with the compiled Windows version on my PC, but use the Perl version and the GUI without incident.
bwaldron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2008, 04:04 PM   #5
tompe
Grand Sorcerer
tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Nexus 5, Kindle PW
Quote:
Originally Posted by bwaldron View Post
See this
That reminded me that I had failed to update the html files. This is fixed now so the latest version is available.

Normally when you run a perl program you just do "perldoc mobi2mobi" to get the correct documentation but if you use windows binaries these kind of things do not work.
tompe is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-09-2008, 10:51 PM   #6
AlexBell
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by bwaldron View Post
See this

If you have Perl installed on your machine, you might want to try running the GUI version with the Perl version of mobi2mobi and the "use Perl" option in the GUI. For some reason, I have always had problems with the compiled Windows version on my PC, but use the Perl version and the GUI without incident.
Thanks, Bill.
I have that file, but such is my level of ignorance that I haven't the slightest idea what to do with it. Nor do I have any idea whether I have Perl on my computer. And its a very long time since I've used DOS and its commands.

Lets say I've clicked on the Non GUI Windows of mobi2mobi, and the black background window has opened. Do I need to enter a path to mobi2mobi? And a path to the book whose metadata I want to change?

Regards, Alex
Old 12-09-2008, 11:27 PM   #7
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
Lets say I've clicked on the Non GUI Windows of mobi2mobi, and the black background window has opened. Do I need to enter a path to mobi2mobi? And a path to the book whose metadata I want to change?

Regards, Alex
There are directions on the Wiki on how to use this.

See the Visual Kindle Guide and read the mobi2mobi topics.

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2008, 05:47 PM   #8
AlexBell
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by pilotbob View Post
There are directions on the Wiki on how to use this.

See the Visual Kindle Guide and read the mobi2mobi topics.

BOb
Thanks, I'll do that even though mobi2mobi GUI has just come back to life. The only things which changed on my computer were upgrades to AVG antivirus software and Java, and it's hard to see how this could make a difference.

I'm so dependent on mobi2mobi that I'll learn how to use the command line version in case the GUI version dies again.

Regards, Alex
Old 12-10-2008, 08:13 PM   #9
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
Thanks, I'll do that even though mobi2mobi GUI has just come back to life. The only things which changed on my computer were upgrades to AVG antivirus software and Java, and it's hard to see how this could make a difference.
Agreed since mobi2mobi.exe has no dependencies and the GUI is .Net.

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote