Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 11-28-2008, 02:50 AM   #1
Che
Che began at the beginning.

Device: none
Wee request from someone seeking PRS-505

Hullo! I hope I'm posting in the right thread. I am so glad I found this forum. You guys are a fountain of info--very much appreciated seeing as I'm technologically-challenged.

For months I coveted an ebook reader. I researched and researched to find THE ONE that will meet my needs (and vanity hee). I knew, the moment I first saw the PRS-505, I was in looooove. So pretty... *dreamy sigh* Then I heard Sony would release a new version so I opted to wait. Unfortunately, based from the very helpful pics you guys took, the PRS-700's screen isn't up to my liking. So I've decided to stick to my original choice... But now, hee, I'm conflicted between the three 505 colors: dark blue, silver or red?

I'm from Far Away Land where Sony Style stores are a thing of myth. I can't go in there and check out the different colors (or easily return the "wrong" one; pics from Sony's site aren't useful, I think). Oh if only I'm uber rich I'd buy all three! Anywho, I've seen hands-on pics of the silver and the red ones. I looked but couldn't find pics of the blue one.

If it's not too much to ask, request for owners of dark blue 505: Could someone please upload pics of your reader? It would really help me decide which one to get. Thanks in advance.
Che is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2008, 03:39 AM   #2
Dave Berk
Fanatic
Dave Berk can fool all of the people all of the time.Dave Berk can fool all of the people all of the time.Dave Berk can fool all of the people all of the time.Dave Berk can fool all of the people all of the time.Dave Berk can fool all of the people all of the time.Dave Berk can fool all of the people all of the time.Dave Berk can fool all of the people all of the time.Dave Berk can fool all of the people all of the time.Dave Berk can fool all of the people all of the time.Dave Berk can fool all of the people all of the time.Dave Berk can fool all of the people all of the time.

Device: PRS505
Here is a rather clear youtube video of a dark blue reader:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TOTdYc4aQeg
Dave Berk is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-28-2008, 03:45 AM   #3
mtravellerh
book creator
mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB360°
Bet you're a girl, Che

Sorry, sorry, girls, couldn't help myself
mtravellerh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2008, 03:54 AM   #4
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
What are you buying it as - a book reader or a fashion accessory? . Honestly, the colour doesn't matter in the slightest.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2008, 04:01 AM   #5
Dave Berk
Fanatic
Dave Berk can fool all of the people all of the time.Dave Berk can fool all of the people all of the time.Dave Berk can fool all of the people all of the time.Dave Berk can fool all of the people all of the time.Dave Berk can fool all of the people all of the time.Dave Berk can fool all of the people all of the time.Dave Berk can fool all of the people all of the time.Dave Berk can fool all of the people all of the time.Dave Berk can fool all of the people all of the time.Dave Berk can fool all of the people all of the time.Dave Berk can fool all of the people all of the time.

Some pictures:

@Harry:
A dark blue reader may make the screen look more white...
Advert
Old 11-28-2008, 04:46 AM   #6
Che
Che began at the beginning.

Device: none
Dave Berk: You ROCK. Thank you so much for the pics. (I actually saw that video whilst looking for more 505 info on YouTube. Maybe it's just my mac but it's not as clear as this (silver review) one: http://www.mobilecomputermag.co.uk/2...05-reader.html Perhaps I'm wrong but I thought it's a bit dark to base my decision upon.)

Mtravellerh: Bet you're a guy. Sorry, sorry, BOYS, couldn't help my picky self. And yes, *lesigh* I'm a girl. Unfortunate really, seeing as my best friend usually (jokingly) asks me if I'd be her lesbian lover. I wouldn't even hesitate; if only I weren't too boy-crazy to be gay. Oh well...

HarryT: Of course I'm getting it for reading LOL. Since I was 9 and nicking books from my beloved grandpa's library, I've been ADDICTED to the literary world. I have (from last count) 2000+ paperbacks/HB (actually very proud of my little library). I wish the color doesn't matter, but for me it does. I'm stubbornly picky, curse of wanting to get EXACTLY what I want. :/ Anyway, I've been freely given choices; I'm spending 300 bucks for this, I thought I might as well exercise my option to choose.

Anyway, wow, you guys are awesome for the fast reply!
Che is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2008, 07:39 AM   #7
ravenlife
Connoisseur
ravenlife ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ravenlife ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ravenlife ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ravenlife ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ravenlife ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ravenlife ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ravenlife ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ravenlife ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ravenlife ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ravenlife ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ravenlife ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Mtravellerh: Bet you're a guy. Sorry, sorry, BOYS, couldn't help my picky self. And yes, *lesigh* I'm a girl. Unfortunate really, seeing as my best friend usually (jokingly) asks me if I'd be her lesbian lover. I wouldn't even hesitate; if only I weren't too boy-crazy to be gay. Oh well...

I'm liking the Red one myself.
ravenlife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2008, 01:15 PM   #8
InspectorGadget
Enthusiast
InspectorGadget is on a distinguished road

Device: Sony PRS-500
Yes, the red one is striking and quite attractive. I owned a dark-blue PRS-500 (same color as near as I can tell) and I quite liked that color. However, when I compared all three side-by-side at the Sony store, I opted for the silver when I bought my PRS-505. I liked the clean look of the silver, and it looked like it would be easier on the eyes without the contrast of the outer case and background -- the only contrast your eyes see is the print-on-background.

But in retrospect, I would agree with Harry (once again!) that the color doesn't make a bit of difference functionally... It's all aesthetics and personal preference. Ultimately, I selected the silver one because it looked the best to me.
InspectorGadget is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2008, 01:24 PM   #9
Valloric
Created Sigil, FlightCrew
Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by InspectorGadget View Post
But in retrospect, I would agree with Harry (once again!) that the color doesn't make a bit of difference functionally...
I would generally agree with this on principle, but I can't see how the red one wouldn't cause more eye-strain than the blue or silver one.
Valloric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2008, 02:16 PM   #10
pink
pink began at the beginning.

Device: Sony 505
If the sony store closest to me offered it, I would have gotten the dark blue one. The darkblue shows the contrast better, makes the background look whiter and crisper.

The red is nice, but I personally would get sick of staring at the red.

I opted for silver, because when you get bored of the colour, you can always add different skins or get different covers for it. Silver goes with everything.
pink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2008, 02:49 PM   #11
aliencane
Enthusiast
aliencane is on a distinguished road

Device: Sony 505, iPad
All I can add is that I have a blue one, and in my 63 years on earth, it is one of the best purchases I have ever made.

I suppose the silver would make me equally happy.
aliencane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2008, 11:51 AM   #12
tekchic
Zealot
tekchic doesn't littertekchic doesn't litter

Device: iPhone X, iPad Pro
I agree with InspectorGadget -- I had a dark blue PRS-500 and loved it. In the store though, the Silver 505 caught my eye more than the red one did. I loved how shiny and bright it looked, with a plenty-white screen.

Although, being a girl, the biggest reason I didn't get the red one is because it won't go with the pink leather cover I'm planning to buy ;-)
tekchic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2008, 09:11 PM   #13
Seabound
Steerage Class
Seabound ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Seabound ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Seabound ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Seabound ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Seabound ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Seabound ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Seabound ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Seabound ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Seabound ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Seabound ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Seabound ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Won't fit here anymore, see sig for a list of liseuses.
Che, this thread might be of interest to you:

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=32048

It turns out that color is not entirely irrelevant, as some might suggest. I favored the blue color myself, but only the silver was available at my local Target store.
Seabound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2008, 02:50 PM   #14
tech_au
Oz Bookworm
tech_au has a spectacular aura abouttech_au has a spectacular aura abouttech_au has a spectacular aura abouttech_au has a spectacular aura abouttech_au has a spectacular aura abouttech_au has a spectacular aura abouttech_au has a spectacular aura abouttech_au has a spectacular aura abouttech_au has a spectacular aura abouttech_au has a spectacular aura abouttech_au has a spectacular aura about

Device: Sony PRS 505,PRS 650
I decided on the dark blue one because I like to read outside a lot and I figured the Silver one would be too glaring out in the sunlight.
Beside the blue looks nicer.
tech_au is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2008, 05:50 PM   #15
Dave Berk
Fanatic

I just put an order for the silver one. Tastes differ .