Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations > Book Clubs

Notices

View Poll Results: Which 10 genres shall fill out the 2016 MobileRead Book Club category roster in 2016?
Award Winners (fiction) 17 37.78%
Biography and Memoirs 16 35.56%
Classics 18 40.00%
Contemporary 9 20.00%
Fanfiction 4 8.89%
Fantasy 27 60.00%
Food (food theme, not cookbooks) 4 8.89%
Gay/Lesbian 8 17.78%
Historical Fiction 12 26.67%
History 18 40.00%
Horror 14 31.11%
Humor 16 35.56%
Inspirational Stories 4 8.89%
Music 3 6.67%
Mystery 25 55.56%
Non-Fiction 11 24.44%
Originally Non-English 12 26.67%
Our Favo(u)rite Books 12 26.67%
Patricia Clarke Memorial Library 17 37.78%
Romance 7 15.56%
Science 18 40.00%
Science Fiction 35 77.78%
Sequential Art (graphic novels, etc.) 6 13.33%
Short Stories (same author) 14 31.11%
Short Story Anthologies (various authors) 10 22.22%
Sports (Non-Fiction & Fiction) 7 15.56%
Thriller, Suspense & Crime 23 51.11%
Travel & Adventure 12 26.67%
War 15 33.33%
Young Adult & Children's 12 26.67%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 45. You may not vote on this poll

Old 08-06-2015, 08:55 AM   #1
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!
WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, iPad Pro, & a Samsung Galaxy S9.
2016 Book Club CATEGORY Vote

Please help us pick the categories that the MobileRead Book Club will use in 2016.

The poll will be open for 7 days. In which case of a tie for the the final slot there will be a run-off poll. This is a visible poll: others can see how you voted. It is You may cast a vote for each category that appeals to you.

Here are your choices in alphabetical order:

• Award Winners (fiction)
• Biography and Memoirs
• Classics
• Contemporary
• Fanfiction
• Fantasy
• Food (food theme, not cookbooks)
• Gay/Lesbian
• Historical Fiction
• History
• Horror
• Humor
• Inspirational Stories
• Music
• Mystery
• Non-Fiction
• Originally Non-English
• Our Favo(u)rite Books
• Patricia Clarke Memorial Library
• Romance
• Science
• Science Fiction
• Sequential Art (graphic novels, etc.)
• Short Stories (same author)
• Short Story Anthologies (various authors)
• Sports (Non-Fiction & Fiction)
• Thriller, Suspense & Crime
• Travel & Adventure
• War
• Young Adult & Children's

Last edited by WT Sharpe; 08-06-2015 at 09:03 AM.
WT Sharpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2015, 09:14 AM   #2
treadlightly
Wizard
treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo H2O
Thanks for doing this! Do we have a limit on votes?
treadlightly is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-06-2015, 09:15 AM   #3
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!
WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by treadlightly View Post
Thanks for doing this! Do we have a limit on votes?
There is no limit on the number of selections you may choose.
Old 08-06-2015, 09:39 AM   #4
HomeInMyShoes
Grand Sorcerer
HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
This might take me a while to figure out. I know some obvious ones I'm voting for and obvious ones I'm not, but there's lots of grey in my decision process right now.
HomeInMyShoes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2015, 10:05 AM   #5
bfisher
Wizard
bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-T3, Galaxy (Aldiko, Kobo app)
I was going to vote for Food but missed clicking it, to my intense chagrin
bfisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-06-2015, 10:29 AM   #6
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!

I voted for 11, so at least one of mine is guaranteed to lose.
Old 08-06-2015, 10:30 AM   #7
sun surfer
languorous autodidact ✦
sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: onyx boox poke 2 colour, kindle voyage
This poll is going to be fun to watch. And ditto to what HIMS said.
sun surfer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2015, 10:33 AM   #8
HomeInMyShoes
Grand Sorcerer
HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I made a spreadsheet to figure out what I want to vote for. Then I made a prediction of what would win and I figure I'll vote for about four categories that make it to next year.

The six through fifteen places are going to be very close. How many run-offs do you think we'll need to sort out those last few categories?

Boo war.
Old 08-06-2015, 11:29 AM   #9
din155
Guru
din155 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.din155 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.din155 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.din155 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.din155 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.din155 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.din155 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.din155 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.din155 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.din155 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.din155 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW, Win 10 thinkpad 8in
I know what I won't vote for but not sure which ones I want!!
din155 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2015, 11:41 AM   #10
treadlightly
Wizard
treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo H2O
Quote:
Originally Posted by WT Sharpe View Post
I voted for 11, so at least one of mine is guaranteed to lose.
Me too! I'm just happy there is no vote limit so I didn't have to play the hedge-my-bets game. I figure the competition is really only between about four categories. But it will be blood-thirsty.
treadlightly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2015, 11:57 AM   #11
HomeInMyShoes
Grand Sorcerer

As it stands about a third of the way through voting, figuring around 35 to 40 voters if it follows historical participation in voting, we'd have a runoff of Biography versus Short Stories for the last entry. Science would be a somewhat surprising inclusion.

But it's early and the math geeks tend to vote early.
Old 08-06-2015, 12:20 PM   #12
Nyssa
Series Addict
Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite (2nd Gen)
I'm commenting so that I can see updates.
Nyssa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2015, 12:55 PM   #13
GA Russell
Montreal wins Grey Cup!
GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite, Kindles 10 & 4 and jetBook Lite
I voted for only six, and only one is doing well so far!
GA Russell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2015, 01:16 PM   #14
CRussel
(he/him/his)
CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis (Gen3),Paperwhite (Gen10), Voyage, Paperwhite(orig), Fire HD 8
Ooh, that was hard. I voted for 11 or 12, some of which clearly won't make it but I felt they deserved a vote. There are only a couple of categories that I have NO interest in, but most I'd be fine with, though they might not be a first choice.
CRussel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2015, 01:18 PM   #15
bfisher
Wizard
bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-T3, Galaxy (Aldiko, Kobo app)
Quote:
Originally Posted by HomeInMyShoes View Post
Boo war.
There's a lot of scope in that category. A few examples:

History of the Peloponnesian War
The Iliad
The Anabasis
Marching Upcountry by John Ringo
The Afghan Campaign by Steven Pressfield
War and Peace
Master and Commander
bfisher is offline   Reply With Quote