Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Apple Devices

Notices

Old 02-16-2014, 12:38 PM   #1
mXb
Addict
mXb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mXb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mXb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mXb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mXb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mXb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mXb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mXb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mXb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mXb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mXb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Ex-Kobo Touch-Nook Simple Touch-Kobo Mini-Retina Mini
Folder Icons

I am new to iPad.

I see that you can combine a number of apps in a folder on the Home Screen ?

What are the pros and cons for doing this rather than just leaving them as seperate icons ?
mXb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2014, 12:43 PM   #2
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
The pros are that it makes it easier to find things. Eg, I have a "Reading" folder in which I have all my reading-related apps. The only con is the extra tap to open the folder. It's well worth using folders - makes it a lot easier to keep things organised.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-16-2014, 12:59 PM   #3
MeSue
Geek in the Forest
MeSue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MeSue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MeSue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MeSue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MeSue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MeSue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MeSue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MeSue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MeSue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MeSue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MeSue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Air, iPhone 4s, Nexus 7
Folder Icons

I think one of the pros is that there are a limited number of screens you can have. So if you have hundreds of apps, folders is the only way to go. Not sure if the home screen limit is still there in iOS 7. I wish the folders were not limited to 9 on a page. Such a waste of screen space on the iPad.

Personally, if it's not on my dock, in background apps, or on first home screen, I almost always launch apps through search or Siri, so folders are just for organizing for me.
MeSue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2014, 05:39 PM   #4
Jessica Lares
Wizard
Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini, iPod Touch (5th gen)
I find that folders work best when you use very little of them. I tend to couple Amazon/eBay/YouTube/etc as "Services" rather than folders named "Amazon", "Shopping", "Videos", and so on.

Right now I just have two folders on my iPod - "Photography" and "Games". Then I have all my most useful apps mixed in between them. I don't use them on the iPad at the moment.

The cons are when you overdo it and end up with folders for every category, and then ones for "Facebook", "Amazon", etc. You then have to remember where everything is.

The Pros is that they're isolated from other icons.
Jessica Lares is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2014, 06:38 AM   #5
drofgnal
Wizard
drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Ipad Pro/Kindle Oasis 3/iPhone 13 Pro Max
I don't use folders. The sum total of all my apps fits on 2 pages, anything I want is easy to find.
drofgnal is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-17-2014, 07:48 AM   #6
mXb
Addict
mXb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mXb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mXb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mXb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mXb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mXb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mXb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mXb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mXb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mXb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mXb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Oops!

Last edited by mXb; 02-17-2014 at 07:56 AM.
Old 02-17-2014, 07:55 AM   #7
mXb
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by MeSue View Post
I think one of the pros is that there are a limited number of screens you can have. So if you have hundreds of apps, folders is the only way to go. Not sure if the home screen limit is still there in iOS 7. I wish the folders were not limited to 9 on a page. Such a waste of screen space on the iPad.

Personally, if it's not on my dock, in background apps, or on first home screen, I almost always launch apps through search or Siri, so folders are just for organizing for me.
For pros I was thinking more like such things as on the iPad Mini can you make out which apps are in the folder icon, or are the apps in the folder too small ?

Yes you're right there does seem to be some wasted space around each app
even for my chunky fingers.

I suspect that increasing the number of icons per Home Screen was one of the first customizations done through jailbreaking ?

.....your comment about using Siri to open an app got me thinking. When I start using it that's what I will try first..............
Old 02-17-2014, 08:26 AM   #8
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
The icons of the apps in the folder are just about readable, but if you name your folders appropriately that should allow you to find things easily enough. If you do lose something, there's always the search facility to allow you to find it again.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2014, 12:22 PM   #9
Jessica Lares
Wizard
Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mXb View Post
I suspect that increasing the number of icons per Home Screen was one of the first customizations done through jailbreaking ?
I don't even remember now. The first one was actually making apps before the App Store though. And then getting wallpapers three years early.

But yeah, I have a 5x6 setup. I made the folder previews 2x2, and when you open them, it fills the entire screen with a 4x5 layout.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0208.PNG
Views:	274
Size:	200.1 KB
ID:	119207

You can make them bigger, but they come out blurry since (depending on the device) the embedded icons are up to 152x152. You can blow them up to 200%, but you'd have to find the bigger versions to theme them.
Old 02-18-2014, 02:11 PM   #10
mXb
Addict

.....then as well as apps in a folder there are "nested" folders, that is folders in folder.
Also super nested, that is folders in folders in a folder (allowed due to a "Glitch" in the IOS apparently).

....and not to forget hidden apps and folders !

Here are a couple of links on how to do this;

http://lifehacker.com/hide-away-apps...cks-1380493462

http://www.idownloadblog.com/2013/09...ders-on-ios-7/

Phew, I'm pooped, think I'll go and lie down.............
Old 02-19-2014, 02:45 AM   #11
Jessica Lares
Wizard

I had the nested folders setup once, I just called it "Launchpad" and made it work somewhat like the OS X Applications folder.
Old 02-19-2014, 10:19 PM   #12
Bookworm_Girl
E-reader Enthusiast
Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3; Kobo Aura One; iPad Mini 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
The icons of the apps in the folder are just about readable, but if you name your folders appropriately that should allow you to find things easily enough. If you do lose something, there's always the search facility to allow you to find it again.
Another option to search is you can ask Siri to open xyz app. Fast and easy if you can't find it on your home screens.
Bookworm_Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2014, 11:45 AM   #13
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EB 1150, EZ Reader, Literati, iPad 2 & Air 2, iPhone 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bookworm_Girl View Post
Another option to search is you can ask Siri to open xyz app. Fast and easy if you can't find it on your home screens.
the store app also has a list of everything you own. If an app gets lost somewhere the store app can be used to launch any app you own.

The pros have been mentioned but there are some cons. Only the first 9 apps in a folder can be seen so you have to select the folder and then scroll it to find any additional apps. Of course you can avoid this by keeping 9 or less apps in a folder. The other con is that is takes a bit longer to move around when using folders. Normally you can tap the button once to exit any app and then once again to go to the home screen. Quick and easy. With folders you click once to exit the app and you are in the folder screen. Click again and you are in the screen where the folder resides and then yet another click to get to the home screen.

Personally I have so many apps that folders are mandatory for me.

Dale
DaleDe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2014, 12:52 PM   #14
Jessica Lares
Wizard

Another benefit to jailbreaking, that 9 per page limit is gone. You can do 4x5, so that makes it 20 per page.

Say what you want about security. It's not like this stuff isn't checked through either.