Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Sigil

Notices

Old 11-13-2013, 05:33 PM   #1
giocasanova
giocasanova began at the beginning.

Device: none
Page break problem

I wrote a short story in Google Docs and downloaded it in HTML into Sigil. But once I've worked on it (splitting the story at split markers at the end of each page) and ported into Calibre, the pages often end with way too much white space left over, with the following paragraph not beginning until the next page.

So I copied and pasted the Google Doc into individual page files before transferring them for Sigil, and this peculiarity still shows up in Calibre. How do I page break in such a way that I don't leave blank space left over mid-story? I'm not too familiar with working on HTML code, but if there's a line I can enter in the right spot I will.
giocasanova is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2013, 05:44 PM   #2
phossler
Wizard
phossler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phossler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phossler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phossler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phossler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phossler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phossler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phossler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phossler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phossler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phossler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
Quote:
(splitting the story at split markers at the end of each page)
I wouldn't split at the end of each page since a e-reader will not give you the results you want.

I've learned (here mostly) the best way is to have each chapter in a separate file (i.e. split the text based on chapters, not pages)

Each file will start a new page

Use Sigil's Merge feature to combine the many 'page' files into much fewer chapter (or section) files

Paul
phossler is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-13-2013, 06:32 PM   #3
mrmikel
Color me gone
mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-300
If you are making epubs, you have to let the ereader hardware set the page length, since the user can make the text size larger or smaller. As was suggested above, a new file for each chapter works well for several reasons.

If you must have fixed page size and you are not distributing this through major distributors, print it out as a pdf file, using the size of the page you are most concerned with. Feedbooks has published books this way.
mrmikel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2013, 08:15 PM   #4
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Beaten Path, USA, Roundworld, This Side of Infinity
Device: Kindle Touch fw5.3.7 (Wifi only)
Yes. The end of an html file is interpreted by ereaders as end-of-chapter, thus the necessity of a pagebreak.

If you wish to provide page numbers, take a look at the wiki for PageList and Page-map.
eschwartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2013, 08:47 PM   #5
giocasanova
giocasanova began at the beginning.

Device: none
All fixed, thanks! I'm new at this I thought I had to break each page manually lest it end up as one loooong page in Calibre. It looks good now.
giocasanova is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert

Tags
calibre, google docs, sigil