Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 12-14-2012, 11:43 PM   #166
DianNC
Banned
DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Color, Entourage Pocket Edge, iPod Touch 5th Gen
Fizzy - The Wish List on the mobile version is almost identical to the old design. It's list view with an Add to Cart button and everything.

I almost never use the redesigned site because the mobile version has working sort boxes. I have to switch to check out epubs and I am getting a little tired of that, but all in all it's MUCH better for viewing your account and browsing than the 'new redesign' ridiculousness.
DianNC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2012, 03:25 AM   #167
xendula
eBookworm
xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 4B/K ~ Nexus 7 ~ Kindle Paperwhite 1&2 ~ iPad Air
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joykins View Post
Another casualty in the war between big publishers and Amazon.
OR: between publishers and library patrons. The books are available on amazon for purchase, but, I guess, they don't like the easy lending process with kindles.

I am still trying to find out if, apart from the two Sony Readers T1 and T2, any other ePub eink readers let you transfer the book directly from Ovdrive to the reader without the need of a computer. Because I think that this is the reason why kindle is discriminated against: make it as much of a hassle as possible (ADE on a computer, REALLY?! In this day and age?!) to borrow ebooks so nobody does it.
xendula is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-15-2012, 03:27 AM   #168
xendula
eBookworm
xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Guys, I sent Brooklyn a link to this thread, since they may be interested in some of the feedback.
Old 12-15-2012, 11:06 AM   #169
DianNC
Banned
DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I got a fulfillment notice from my local library last night and when I tried to sign in and retrieve it, I kept getting a sign-in error. My first thought, "Oh noes!!! It's the switch-over!"

It's crazy how much I'm dreading giving up that which is working perfectly.

(I was able to sign in this morning, so the Goddess of libraries has seen fit to bestow a reprieve)!
Old 12-15-2012, 05:57 PM   #170
Blossom
Treasure Seeker
Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo HD Glo, Kindles, Kindle Fires, Andriod Devices
If I borrow a book from the book details page it gives me a popup it's been added. I like to see this on the hold page instead of being redirected to the bookshelf page.

On the old system when you added a hold to cart it gave you a link to take you back to the Holds list so you could add more holds that's came available. Now I get redirected to the bookshelf and have to go back each time and it's annoying.
Blossom is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-15-2012, 07:44 PM   #171
xendula
eBookworm

DianNC, the same happened to me with Fairfax yesterday, trying to retrieve a book that became available. I finally managd to log in today,only to notice that I had purchased the book at some point in the past but never read it - duh.
Old 12-16-2012, 12:34 PM   #172
DianNC
Banned

For what it's worth, the 40/20 trick works on most library urls and allows us to completely bypass the standard desktop UI. This will come in handy once all public libraries make the switch to the redesign (the cart feature is still there in all its glory). The only thing that's missing in the mobile view is the ability to browse Adobe epubs/Kindle books (open Epubs are available for browsing, though).

The best part is we get the full book title and full name of author (without the hovering nonsense - probably because it's designed for tablet-type devices where hovering isn't possible?).
Old 12-16-2012, 12:38 PM   #173
DianNC
Banned

Oh, another trick I discovered is you can create hot links for both desktop/mobile versions by emailing the urls to yourself. Makes switching back and forth a lot easier. Everyone but me probably already knew this
Old 12-16-2012, 01:20 PM   #174
Blossom
Treasure Seeker
Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DianNC View Post
Oh, another trick I discovered is you can create hot links for both desktop/mobile versions by emailing the urls to yourself. Makes switching back and forth a lot easier. Everyone but me probably already knew this

I don't understand why you want to do this? in mobile view you can't browse anything but drm free stuff.
Old 12-16-2012, 02:07 PM   #175
DianNC
Banned

Blossom - so far I'm only using it for BPL which is very 'buggy' since the redesign (details listed upthread).

I only experimented with the urls of my local libraries in case the same thing happens when they make the switch (it's only a matter of time, IMO).

It might not be everyone's preference, but it works for me. For two weeks, I haven't had access to new release info at BPL (DRM'd or not), so why would I want to waste my time there? The mobile version has working sort boxes and the Wish List feature is identical to the old version (awesome!).
Old 12-16-2012, 02:11 PM   #176
Blossom
Treasure Seeker

Quote:
Blossom - so far I'm only using it for BPL which is very 'buggy' since the redesign (details listed upthread).

I only experimented with the urls of my local libraries in case the same thing happens when they make the switch (it's only a matter of time, IMO).

It might not be everyone's preference, but it works for me. For two weeks, I haven't had access to new release info at BPL (DRM'd or not), so why would I want to waste my time there? The mobile version has working sort boxes and the Wish List feature is identical to the old version (awesome!).
BPL is working for me. You just have to click the New @ Brooklyn Public Library: link in the new design then click on the category link on the left side to see the latest stuff.

The drop down box sort has been working at BPL now for a few days when you click on categorie links at the top of the page but they wont work if you viewing by the new link page. You will just get Added By Date but Sort feature works if you do it the other way You can also do an advance search that works too.

I like the powerful search in the new design. There I said there is actually something I like about it.

What I mean is why use mobile? When I try it I can see any of the books sort by. I'm confused.

Last edited by Blossom; 12-16-2012 at 02:21 PM.
Old 12-16-2012, 03:09 PM   #177
DianNC
Banned

Using 'Menu' is definitely workable for sorting (you just have to sort each category separately). Anything below that is useless (even when choosing a category - sorting still not functional).

At the risk of sounding like a broken record, the new design is reminding me a lot of Windows 8. Lots more clicks replacing what used to be one-click usability and it makes sense because both designs seem to be geared more towards tablets instead of PC's.

Embrace the future!!!
Old 12-16-2012, 03:34 PM   #178
Blossom
Treasure Seeker

Quote:
Using 'Menu' is definitely workable for sorting (you just have to sort each category separately). Anything below that is useless (even when choosing a category - sorting still not functional).

At the risk of sounding like a broken record, the new design is reminding me a lot of Windows 8. Lots more clicks replacing what used to be one-click usability and it makes sense because both designs seem to be geared more towards tablets instead of PC's.

Embrace the future!!!
They should just remove the sort by under New Titles and Recently Return page. It makes no sense why it's there.

Last edited by Blossom; 12-16-2012 at 03:36 PM.
Old 12-16-2012, 05:36 PM   #179
copyrite
Wizard
copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: ...lots! ;) mostly reading on a Kindle Voyage
I decided to follow this thread (but not really read it) because I figured one of these days the MD OD site would update. That someday is today.

I used to be able to see if items on the wishlist were available to check-out with just a glance. Haven't really looked around otherwise yet.

Oh wait. I figured out how to see which books on the wishlist are available.

I don't like it. Yeah, I'm a bit resistant to change. LOL

Quote:
Embrace the future!!!
Only if I have to!

Last edited by copyrite; 12-16-2012 at 05:41 PM.
copyrite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2012, 09:01 PM   #180
Joykins
Wizard
Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle Oasis 2018, kindle 4 NT, kindle PW2, iPhone, iPad mini
OK, I got on Maryland's upgraded site. Here is feedback for Overdrive.

WISHLIST VIEW

* The way to see what books were available was not at all intuitive, but once I figure it out, it's pretty useful.

* The filtering is VERY NICE. I really like it! Filtering by availability would be nice, too. Perhaps a radio button?

* loading wish list is much faster. It is a DREAM compared to what it was before. I like this.

* it doesn't bother me as much that the book details aren't visible in this view because once a book gets to my wishlist I already know what it's about.

BROWSING

* Browsing is improved by the sorting and filtering features that work

* An option for list view with more info about the book (as in the old browsing view) would be awesome. That way I won't click through to titles that I'm not interested in as often. But I do find things to like in the new view as well.

BOOK DETAIL VIEW

* The series title is no longer clickable. This was an awesome feature that allows you to look at all the series titles together, see what the library has. It would be nice to restore this functionality.

* as others have said, there's too little "about the plot" next to the cover graphic -- I'd like to see more of the blurb if possible rather than having to click down to it after about 2 lines.

Overall I think I like what I see except for having to click through to get the blurb for the book. My impression is that the speed of loading things has really improved.
Joykins is offline   Reply With Quote