Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 10-24-2012, 05:57 PM   #1
Ferrian
Ferrian began at the beginning.

Device: Nook Simple Touch, Kindle Paperwhite
Has anyone notice text difference between Paperwhites?

I just received my Paperwhite from Amazon and comparing it to the one I got at Best Buy I noticed that the Best Buy one has clearer/sharper text than the Amazon one. Is this normal between different devices or should I return the Amazon one? Comparing the two the Best Buy one is considerably pinker though.
Ferrian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2012, 06:00 PM   #2
jswinden
Nameless Being

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ferrian View Post
I just received my Paperwhite from Amazon and comparing it to the one I got at Best Buy I noticed that the Best Buy one has clearer/sharper text than the Amazon one. Is this normal between different devices or should I return the Amazon one? Comparing the two the Best Buy one is considerably pinker though.
Unfortunately yes. The QC on the PWs is all over the place. I had three units (original order and two replacements) and each rendered text a bit differently. Since they were each different I suspect something else is going on rather than just a FW issue. Perhaps the capacitive touch layer and/or light layer are inconsistent.
Advert
Old 10-24-2012, 06:33 PM   #3
sparklemotion
dangerous when cornered
sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo H2O, Kindle Paperwhite
It's been common from my experience as well. All 3 of mine have had different clarity and sharpness/boldness of text.
sparklemotion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2012, 07:28 PM   #4
tmf2
Zealot
tmf2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tmf2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tmf2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tmf2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tmf2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tmf2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tmf2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tmf2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tmf2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tmf2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tmf2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 4 Kindle PW
The fonts a too thin and washed out they need to be blacker/bolder for contrast especially with the light. While in development that should occurred to them. Do you think a firmware update would correct the font issues?
tmf2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2012, 08:16 AM   #5
xendula
eBookworm
xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 4B/K ~ Nexus 7 ~ Kindle Paperwhite 1&2 ~ iPad Air
Yup, I noticed it on mine.
xendula is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-25-2012, 08:44 AM   #6
sirmaru
Wizard
sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW 2013, HDX 2013, Galaxy S5 2014
One has to be careful when using fonts. Helvetica has sharp, crisp and dark contrasted fonts. Baskerville has fuzzy, fluid and light uncontrasted fonts.

It is very easy to ACCIDENTLY switch between them as happened to me once.

Thus, comparing different PW's may actually be comparing totally different fonts.
sirmaru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2012, 11:26 AM   #7
tmf2
Zealot
tmf2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tmf2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tmf2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tmf2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tmf2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tmf2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tmf2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tmf2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tmf2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tmf2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tmf2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 4 Kindle PW
Even with every page refresh my fonts change from top to bottom page to page. Very incosistant. Nothing worse then turning the page then have to take one out of the book to adjust lighting in attempt to increase contrast. It ruins the experience at least for me.
tmf2 is offline   Reply With Quote