Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 07-19-2012, 07:02 PM   #1
feedbakbwr
Redwood Original
feedbakbwr is far, far better than a slap in the face with a wet fish.feedbakbwr is far, far better than a slap in the face with a wet fish.feedbakbwr is far, far better than a slap in the face with a wet fish.feedbakbwr is far, far better than a slap in the face with a wet fish.feedbakbwr is far, far better than a slap in the face with a wet fish.feedbakbwr is far, far better than a slap in the face with a wet fish.feedbakbwr is far, far better than a slap in the face with a wet fish.feedbakbwr is far, far better than a slap in the face with a wet fish.feedbakbwr is far, far better than a slap in the face with a wet fish.feedbakbwr is far, far better than a slap in the face with a wet fish.feedbakbwr is far, far better than a slap in the face with a wet fish.

Device: Kobo, Kobo Wifi, Kobo Touch
Firmware 2.0 Discover or book recommendations

Does it offer recommendations based on your library (side loaded) or just your books bought from Kobo?
feedbakbwr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2012, 07:09 PM   #2
murg
No Comment
murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo: Not just an eReader, it's an adventure!
Good question.

If it is making recommendations from your sideloaded books, that means that it is sending this information back to Kobo's servers.

I think that it would be difficult to determine what a sideloaded book is with any accuracy, but that may be good enough for determining your recommendations. Matching on the Title, Author, and other ID information (like an ISBN) may get Kobo close enough to your sideloaded books to use them for recommending others.
murg is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-19-2012, 07:14 PM   #3
taming
Trying for calm & polite
taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo original, WiFI, Touch, Glo, and Aura
Kobo only uses three sources for making recommendations:
  • Books you have purchased from Kobo
  • Your behaviour on the Kobo site/server that is captured on their end when you are signed in
  • Answers you give when taking/answering a Kobo survey

Last edited by taming; 07-19-2012 at 08:54 PM. Reason: added "server"
taming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2012, 08:29 PM   #4
nogle
Gangnam style!
nogle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nogle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nogle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nogle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nogle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nogle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nogle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nogle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nogle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nogle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nogle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo
I have noted that going through the "discover" area and marking books as not interested or giving star rating to ones I have read has greatly improved the accuracy of the recommendations.
nogle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2012, 08:57 PM   #5
taming
Trying for calm & polite
taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nogle View Post
I have noted that going through the "discover" area and marking books as not interested or giving star rating to ones I have read has greatly improved the accuracy of the recommendations.
I added "server" after site in my post to be more accurate and capture that kind of thing. You're right--it really does improve things.

Now, if someone checks that they have read something, and it is NOT a book they bought from Kobo, it would increase the possibility that the person might think that Kobo was looking at sideloaded books purchased elsewhere.
Advert
Old 07-19-2012, 09:22 PM   #6
ltr
Addict
ltr writes prose that makes the Gods weep.ltr writes prose that makes the Gods weep.ltr writes prose that makes the Gods weep.ltr writes prose that makes the Gods weep.ltr writes prose that makes the Gods weep.ltr writes prose that makes the Gods weep.ltr writes prose that makes the Gods weep.ltr writes prose that makes the Gods weep.ltr writes prose that makes the Gods weep.ltr writes prose that makes the Gods weep.ltr writes prose that makes the Gods weep.

Device: Kindle PW-2
I'd pay money if they'd stop recommending Romance novels to me................
ltr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2012, 09:27 PM   #7
taming
Trying for calm & polite

Quote:
Originally Posted by ltr View Post
I'd pay money if they'd stop recommending Romance novels to me................
I hear you. A Publisher uses that as a descriptor/metadata for some book we don't think of as a romance and we're tagged. I would like an option that says something like "Don't count this book against me; I bought it for my husband."
Old 07-19-2012, 09:35 PM   #8
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Clara, Touch, Tolino EPOS
You buy Romance for your husband! I made the mistake early on of getting some for ,y wife... sigh.... still get blooming Romance recommendations!
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2012, 09:51 PM   #9
plib
Guru
plib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.plib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.plib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.plib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.plib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.plib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.plib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.plib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.plib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.plib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.plib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by ltr View Post
I'd pay money if they'd stop recommending ................
Oh, hang on, I already did.
plib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2012, 03:06 AM   #10
MacEachaidh
Browser
MacEachaidh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MacEachaidh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MacEachaidh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MacEachaidh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MacEachaidh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MacEachaidh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MacEachaidh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MacEachaidh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MacEachaidh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MacEachaidh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MacEachaidh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch, Kobo Aura HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by taming View Post
Kobo only uses three sources for making recommendations:
  • Books you have purchased from Kobo
  • Your behaviour on the Kobo site/server that is captured on their end when you are signed in
  • Answers you give when taking/answering a Kobo survey
Interesting. I've only done one of those three things (done a search on specific titles or authors on the Kobo online shop — and they've mostly not been listed), and the recommendations I'm getting aren't in any way close to things I've looked at or done a search on — not by genre, subject or author.

So I do wonder how their algorithm works.
MacEachaidh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2012, 03:52 AM   #11
taming
Trying for calm & polite

I think they start with a general set of recommendations they give everyone who starts out without a history to influence the recommendations. When we continue to provide very little information,the recommendation engine (probably using wrong word here) doesn't have anything to go on and the general kind of recommendations persist.
Old 07-20-2012, 07:54 AM   #12
ltr
Addict
ltr writes prose that makes the Gods weep.ltr writes prose that makes the Gods weep.ltr writes prose that makes the Gods weep.ltr writes prose that makes the Gods weep.ltr writes prose that makes the Gods weep.ltr writes prose that makes the Gods weep.ltr writes prose that makes the Gods weep.ltr writes prose that makes the Gods weep.ltr writes prose that makes the Gods weep.ltr writes prose that makes the Gods weep.ltr writes prose that makes the Gods weep.

Device: Kindle PW-2
Quote:
Originally Posted by taming"
I hear you. A Publisher uses that as a descriptor/metadata for some book we don't think of as a romance and we're tagged.
Yeah, I often disagree with the assigned book categories. One that I find most questionable is the "Kids and Teens" tag. I've read some great books with that tag. (Example, Milkweed by Jerry Spinelli).

ltr
ltr is offline   Reply With Quote