Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Library Management

Notices

Old 01-05-2012, 05:48 PM   #1
evanbernstein
evanbernstein began at the beginning.

Device: iphone, ipad, Marvin
Metadata and Calibre2Opds

hello everyone,

I apologize if this has already been covered a ton, but I didn't see it mentioned in the faq, and a quick search didn't show me what I wanted to know.

I recently started using calibre now that I learned that Stanza works with the OPDS interface and that Calibre2Opds exists. However, I'm frustrated by how calibre seems to edit metadata. If I understand correctly, calibre only edits metadata in its sql lite db, and does not actually modify the ebook metadata. So when I go and run Calibre2Opds, the books that Stanza will download still have the old metadata.

I've tried reconverting books, but this seems tedious, and sometimes makes the book a slightly worse format (or there was a bug in that particular version of calibre, I'm not sure).

Is this really how calibre works? Is there a setting to force calibre to update the ebook and not just the DB? Is there another way to do this easily that I'm missing?

Thanks for your help.
evanbernstein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2012, 06:03 PM   #2
itimpi
Wizard
itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-950, iphone/ipad (Marvin/iBooks/QuickReader)
What format book are you trying to use? If it is ePub then you can use either of:
- the Calibre Manage ePub plugin
- the configuration option in calibre2opds
to get the metadata in Calibre's library copy of ePub files updated to match the metadata database.
itimpi is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-05-2012, 09:24 PM   #3
evanbernstein

Quote:
Originally Posted by itimpi View Post
What format book are you trying to use? If it is ePub then you can use either of:
- the Calibre Manage ePub plugin
- the configuration option in calibre2opds
to get the metadata in Calibre's library copy of ePub files updated to match the metadata database.
Thanks for the reply!

I am using epub files, so your help is greatly appreciated.

I had not seen the option in calibre2opds before. I believe the one you mean is under the menu "Tools" there is the option "Reprocess the metadata of all the ePub files". Am I to understand that when you run calibre2opds to generate my catalog, this will update the epub files so that the metadata matches the calibre db?

I can't quite find the "Calibre Manage ePub plugin" that you mention. Can you tell me the explicit name of that plugin? Does it come default with calibre, or do I have to download it and install it from elsewhere?

Thanks.
Old 01-05-2012, 11:17 PM   #4
itimpi
Wizard
itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-950, iphone/ipad (Marvin/iBooks/QuickReader)
The Calibre plugin in is the one covered here.

The Calibre2Opds option I am talking about is a checkbox on the main options tab that is labelled "reprocess the ePub metadata".
itimpi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2012, 09:23 AM   #5
evanbernstein

Quote:
Originally Posted by itimpi View Post
The Calibre plugin in is the one covered here.

The Calibre2Opds option I am talking about is a checkbox on the main options tab that is labelled "reprocess the ePub metadata".
Thanks, these did exactly what I wanted!
Advert

Tags
metadata calibre2opds