Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 06-27-2011, 07:20 PM   #31
EldRick
Evangelist
EldRick goes to infinity... and beyond!EldRick goes to infinity... and beyond!EldRick goes to infinity... and beyond!EldRick goes to infinity... and beyond!EldRick goes to infinity... and beyond!EldRick goes to infinity... and beyond!EldRick goes to infinity... and beyond!EldRick goes to infinity... and beyond!EldRick goes to infinity... and beyond!EldRick goes to infinity... and beyond!EldRick goes to infinity... and beyond!

Device: Aura H2O (i86, M96C, Mini&Glo, PRS-950, STR, K-Touch, K-DX, K-3)
Anyone smart enough to read this forum is also smart enough to use DeDRM to remove the copy protection, so why is this an issue?

I agree that the ebook vendors are foolish to try the old DRM trick yet again, but they will eventually get over it, when they realize that they could sell more books if they also supported other formats instead of trying to lock you into their exclusive ecosystem....
EldRick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2011, 12:17 PM   #32
baronrus
Addict
baronrus plays well with othersbaronrus plays well with othersbaronrus plays well with othersbaronrus plays well with othersbaronrus plays well with othersbaronrus plays well with othersbaronrus plays well with othersbaronrus plays well with othersbaronrus plays well with othersbaronrus plays well with othersbaronrus plays well with others

Device: KO, KW, and KT
It's not he vendors

Quote:
Originally Posted by EldRick View Post
Anyone smart enough to read this forum is also smart enough to use DeDRM to remove the copy protection, so why is this an issue?

I agree that the ebook vendors are foolish to try the old DRM trick yet again, but they will eventually get over it, when they realize that they could sell more books if they also supported other formats instead of trying to lock you into their exclusive ecosystem....
I suspect that it is not the vendors who insist on drm but the publishers. The Vendor may get to pick the flavor of drm to some extent but I doubt that they can sell non drm books at least from the major publishers.
baronrus is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-28-2011, 02:04 PM   #33
EldRick
Evangelist
EldRick goes to infinity... and beyond!EldRick goes to infinity... and beyond!EldRick goes to infinity... and beyond!EldRick goes to infinity... and beyond!EldRick goes to infinity... and beyond!EldRick goes to infinity... and beyond!EldRick goes to infinity... and beyond!EldRick goes to infinity... and beyond!EldRick goes to infinity... and beyond!EldRick goes to infinity... and beyond!EldRick goes to infinity... and beyond!

Device: Aura H2O (i86, M96C, Mini&Glo, PRS-950, STR, K-Touch, K-DX, K-3)
You are probably right, but the Publishers are known to be delusional about their future anyway.
EldRick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2011, 11:07 PM   #34
tomsem
Grand Sorcerer
tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 15PM, Kindle Scribe, iPad mini 6, PocketBook InkPad Color 3
Look, why doesn't someone just TRY it? There are plenty of free B&N books available...
tomsem is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2011, 11:18 PM   #35
ScalyFreak
Sith Wannabe
ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Galaxy Note 4, Kobo Aura H2O, Kindle Fire HD, Aluratek Libre
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomsem View Post
Look, why doesn't someone just TRY it? There are plenty of free B&N books available...
I did. Vanilla B&N books do not work on my 950.
ScalyFreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-29-2011, 02:08 AM   #36
tomsem
Grand Sorcerer
tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 15PM, Kindle Scribe, iPad mini 6, PocketBook InkPad Color 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScalyFreak View Post
I did. Vanilla B&N books do not work on my 950.
This does not concern Sony, it is well known that they have not got the right Adobe client software on their devices. Kobo does (or rather I have been assuming it does), so it 'should' work.

Last edited by tomsem; 06-29-2011 at 02:11 AM.
tomsem is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2011, 11:16 AM   #37
ScalyFreak
Sith Wannabe
ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Galaxy Note 4, Kobo Aura H2O, Kindle Fire HD, Aluratek Libre
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomsem View Post
This does not concern Sony, it is well known that they have not got the right Adobe client software on their devices. Kobo does (or rather I have been assuming it does), so it 'should' work.
Hence the additional "vanilla" in my post above.

It's quite possible to make them work, but since I can get those very same free books from other sources in formats that already work fine on the Sony reader, I haven't bothered with B&N books. I get them from Kobo or Smashwords, or wherever I can find them instead.

I've seen other posts in this forum suggesting that B&N books do load to Kobo's readers. You'll probably want to verify that with a second so8urce before quoting me on if though.

Last edited by ScalyFreak; 06-29-2011 at 11:19 AM.
ScalyFreak is offline   Reply With Quote