Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Android Devices > enTourage eDGe > enTourage Archive

Notices

Old 04-07-2011, 01:10 PM   #16
gecko
Edge User

Doesn't anybody know of any manufacturer of anything who doesn't provide product information on their site? North Korean movie producers, maybe. I can't think of anything else.

Last edited by gecko; 04-07-2011 at 01:14 PM.

Old 04-07-2011, 01:16 PM   #17
borisb
Edge User

Well, I still haven't come up with a plausible explanation for the removal of all Press Releases, either, for that matter... Certainly the removal of product pages suggests discontinuation of a product, but why Press Releases? Even a patent infrigement court injunction would halt sales but not require the retraction of Press Releases. Sigh.

Advert
Old 04-07-2011, 01:23 PM   #18
JobooNeedsARefill
Edge User

Quote:
Originally Posted by borisb View Post
Well, I still haven't come up with a plausible explanation for the removal of all Press Releases, either, for that matter... Certainly the removal of product pages suggests discontinuation of a product, but why Press Releases? Even a patent infrigement court injunction would halt sales but not require the retraction of Press Releases. Sigh.
I just checked the "about us" on the website and all the PRs are still there.

Old 04-07-2011, 01:24 PM   #19
borisb
Edge User

Try clicking one

Old 04-07-2011, 01:26 PM   #20
JobooNeedsARefill
Edge User

Quote:
Originally Posted by JobooNeedsARefill View Post
I just checked the "about us" on the website and all the PRs are still there.
scratch that. I didnt click on the links at first. nevermind. me no think good today

Advert
Old 04-07-2011, 01:29 PM   #21
borisb
Edge User

lol - don't sweat it. I had the same reaction the first time I noticed it, too

Old 04-07-2011, 01:31 PM   #22
NiaTrue
Edge User

That's just plain weird. What purpose does it serve? It's not like they'd have to maintain old press releases. They don't have to copy edit them (hopefully, they did this before posting) or update them.

Addendum: The media kit, which includes press releases, is still there, oddly.

Last edited by NiaTrue; 04-07-2011 at 01:42 PM. Reason: addendum

Old 04-07-2011, 02:36 PM   #23
Batman Jr.
Edge User

Down to $199.95 on Amazon now.

Old 04-07-2011, 02:47 PM   #24
JBrondos
Edge User

I purchased my EE from a major nation-wide distributor with whom our school has a personal sales rep. Through that agent, on an "official" level, a representative of the distributor contacted enTourage. You can take this at face value or not -- I just thought I'd throw it into the mix.

Here's what came back to me today as a report from the distributor via my sales rep: "enTourage is not officially going out of business, but I think there is a matter of time. They have stopped manufacturing the products. We did release the Android 2.2 OS update, but it will not automatically update on the device. The customer needs to log into their enTourage account and access the server to update their eDGe. Great concept, great product, but I believe that enTourage as having difficulty with some of their manufacturing partners in keeping up with the technology. So rather than continue to lose money, they are stopping going forward. I do not have an official statement from enTourage at this time."

It is the same contact I had when I perhaps prematurely but not inaccurately relayed the information that the Android 2.2 update would be made available by March 31 - and it was.

Old 04-07-2011, 03:01 PM   #25
devseev
Edge User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Batman Jr. View Post
Down to $199.95 on Amazon now.
Well, the bargain-hunter in me can't resist picking up a PE at this price. Even if the company goes belly-up and I'm stick with Ermine .9 and no support forever it would still be worth having one. I have a a kindle DX, a netbook, an iPhone and assorted other devices collecting dust in a drawer, but the EE I use every day and was one of the earliest adopters/fans even before it came out.

If all else fails the PE would make a nice geeky gift, a desk conversation piece and eventually a rare collectors item.

Old 04-07-2011, 03:09 PM   #26
Batman Jr.
Edge User

Quote:
Originally Posted by devseev View Post
Well, the bargain-hunter in me can't resist picking up a PE at this price. Even if the company goes belly-up and I'm stick with Ermine .9 and no support forever it would still be worth having one. I have a a kindle DX, a netbook, an iPhone and assorted other devices collecting dust in a drawer, but the EE I use every day and was one of the earliest adopters/fans even before it came out.

If all else fails the PE would make a nice geeky gift, a desk conversation piece and eventually a rare collectors item.
Against all my conceptions of rationality, I think I'm about to follow you in grabbing one!

Old 04-07-2011, 03:10 PM   #27
borisb
Edge User

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBrondos View Post
I purchased my EE from a major nation-wide distributor with whom our school has a personal sales rep. Through that agent, on an "official" level, a representative of the distributor contacted enTourage. You can take this at face value or not -- I just thought I'd throw it into the mix.

Here's what came back to me today as a report from the distributor via my sales rep: "enTourage is not officially going out of business, but I think there is a matter of time. They have stopped manufacturing the products. We did release the Android 2.2 OS update, but it will not automatically update on the device. The customer needs to log into their enTourage account and access the server to update their eDGe. Great concept, great product, but I believe that enTourage as having difficulty with some of their manufacturing partners in keeping up with the technology. So rather than continue to lose money, they are stopping going forward. I do not have an official statement from enTourage at this time."

It is the same contact I had when I perhaps prematurely but not inaccurately relayed the information that the Android 2.2 update would be made available by March 31 - and it was.
Your March 31 info did indeed prove to be correct, despite our expressed doubts

So, enTourage basically needs another round of financing, period. With no manufacturing, there'll be no revenue, period. Let's hope someone with bags of money is convinced to support enTourage.

Old 04-07-2011, 03:11 PM   #28
borisb
Edge User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Batman Jr. View Post
Against all my conceptions of rationality, I think I'm about to follow you in grabbing one!
Indeed. Remember this community will remain around on Mobile Read forums to help you with any issues (other than repairs, lol!). Grab a part of history!

Old 04-07-2011, 03:23 PM   #29
Batman Jr.
Edge User

Quote:
Originally Posted by borisb View Post
Indeed. Remember this community will remain around on Mobile Read forums to help you with any issues (other than repairs, lol!). Grab a part of history!
Yep, I was in on the birth, so I guess I should get in on the death throes, if such they be...

Old 04-07-2011, 03:28 PM   #30
sarah11918
Edge User

Stop tempting me!

Seriously, though, I can't help but think that the PE will feel just a little too small to use, even if nicer to carry. For my $199, maybe I can get in on another device no one's heard of (the Eee Note) later this year. My collection seems to be one of breadth, not depth, anyway.