Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > Ectaco jetBook

Notices

Old 05-31-2011, 12:47 AM   #1
MorganM
Fanatic
MorganM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MorganM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MorganM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MorganM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MorganM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MorganM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MorganM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MorganM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MorganM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MorganM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MorganM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra H2o
Aluratek Libre Firmware, Updates etc.

Ok this is gonna be the last thread from me regarding the Libre Pro.

I have been reading past Libre Pro threads on here and I was just wondering if I did end up buying one would I need to go to the Aluratek site and update it with new firmware or whatever?

Any other tips on using the Libre Pro or things I should know?

Also can I load books on to it from Calibre?

I was thinking of grabbing one of that site that has them for sale for $50 and using stopito.com to ship it to Australia for me.

Sorry about all the questions!
MorganM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2011, 01:45 PM   #2
jlg432
Addict
jlg432 has become a pillar of the MobileRead communityjlg432 has become a pillar of the MobileRead communityjlg432 has become a pillar of the MobileRead communityjlg432 has become a pillar of the MobileRead communityjlg432 has become a pillar of the MobileRead communityjlg432 has become a pillar of the MobileRead communityjlg432 has become a pillar of the MobileRead communityjlg432 has become a pillar of the MobileRead communityjlg432 has become a pillar of the MobileRead communityjlg432 has become a pillar of the MobileRead communityjlg432 has become a pillar of the MobileRead community

Device: jetBook, ALP, Pandigital 7"Color(Black+ White), Kyros MID7015a
Like any upgradeable hardware - when you buy it you will have to compare the FW. Updating it is not hard. FW .20g is the latest.

Calibre - yes you can load from it.

I use SyncToy as well and keep a master folder of all my e-books - organized the way I like them and then sync both my JB and ALP with it using synctoy. You can also sync any SD/SDHC card whether it is plugged into and android device or a write/read cardreader. It can even sync a flash drive. Calibre can probably as well.

John
jlg432 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-26-2011, 10:30 PM   #3
MorganM
Fanatic
MorganM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MorganM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MorganM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MorganM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MorganM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MorganM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MorganM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MorganM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MorganM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MorganM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MorganM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

How do I get firmware on to the Aluratek?
Old 06-27-2011, 12:44 AM   #4
MorganM
Fanatic

I have followed the instructions from the sticky on the top of the forum about putting the firmware on the SD card and pressing the reset button then hold the > and power button till the aluratek logo comes up and then nothing else happens!
Old 06-27-2011, 04:00 AM   #5
MorganM
Fanatic

I just wanted to add I went in to the SD card on the Libre Pro and I had a look at the firmware folder and apparently the firmware is not compatible. It's the right one from the aluratek site, I looked at the model number and downloaded the right one. I'm stuck!
Advert
Old 06-27-2011, 04:54 AM   #6
Ken Maltby
Wizard
Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox Note2, AuraHD, PDA,
Quote:
Originally Posted by MorganM View Post
I just wanted to add I went in to the SD card on the Libre Pro and I had a look at the firmware folder and apparently the firmware is not compatible. It's the right one from the aluratek site, I looked at the model number and downloaded the right one. I'm stuck!
What do you see that makes you think the firmware is "not compatible"?

If you download the proper update and follow all the instructions in the
sticky for the libre pro, you should be able to update the firmware.

In the JBL when you want to go into the update mode you "reset" then
hold both the > key and the power key until the logo then you continue
to hold the > key but release the power key. After a few seconds you
should see a conformation page and that is when you release the > key.

Luck;
Ken
Ken Maltby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2011, 05:20 AM   #7
MorganM
Fanatic

I go in to settings>SD card file manager>*firmware* and under the firmware it says incompatible file. Currently my Libre Pro has v0.17 on it. That's what it came with when I got it.

In regards to the instructions where it says copy and paste the firmware file to the root file what does that mean?
Old 06-27-2011, 05:46 AM   #8
MorganM
Fanatic

Quote:
In the JBL when you want to go into the update mode you "reset" then
hold both the > key and the power key until the logo then you continue
to hold the > key but release the power key. After a few seconds you
should see a conformation page and that is when you release the > key.
I tried that and nothing happened.
Old 06-27-2011, 06:41 AM   #9
Ken Maltby
Wizard
Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

OK, first off working with SD cards is a lot easier if you use a USB2 card reader attached
to your PC and NOT the Libre Pro's USB 1.1 interface to it's SD reader.

Don't use the Libre's "SD Card Manager", or the internal memory manager to work with
your files, it is way too limitted. For the SD card it is best to use a USB2 card reader
and your PC's file management. (Windows Explorer most likely.) For the internal memory
you do have to use the USB cable, but then use the PC's file handling programs.

If you don't have a USB2 SD card reader you can use the Libre as a reader and prepare
the SD card for the update, as described in the sticky.

What I would do first is to create two folders on your PC to hold the contents of your
Libre's internal memory and the contents of the original SD card. With the USB cable
connected your PC should have two new external Drives, with new drive letters, showing
in "My Computer". Then copy the contents from your Libre and SD card to the folders.
This way you can always be able to restore those contents.

Then, I would reformat both the internal memory and SD card to FAT32 and run the
optional file structure checks and automatic corrections during the reformats. This
will give you a clean and well structured file system for the rest of the update. The
Root of the SD card will also be empty and ready for the "Firmware folder" from the
update download.

You can now drag & drop the "Firmware" folder from your zip file program into the empty
SD card.

Now just reset and try the update again.

Luck;
Ken

Last edited by Ken Maltby; 06-27-2011 at 06:44 AM.
Old 06-27-2011, 07:35 AM   #10
MorganM
Fanatic

Nothing happened again. The Aluratek logo came up and that's it. I just left it and no light is flashing nor has the Aluratek logo disappeared.
Old 06-27-2011, 08:31 AM   #11
Ken Maltby
Wizard

If you use the reset hole in the back and just hold the power button for 4 or 5 seconds
does it start up normally?

Luck;
Ken
Old 06-27-2011, 08:39 AM   #12
MorganM
Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Maltby View Post
If you use the reset hole in the back and just hold the power button for 4 or 5 seconds
does it start up normally?

Luck;
Ken
Yes it does.

I pulled out my notebook which has windows on it and I have reformatted on here and I'm just doing a clean up to see if that helps. I did all of the above on my desktop which runs a Linux system. Probably won't work on here but it's worth a shot. I have had a go about 20 times on the desktop.

Last edited by MorganM; 06-27-2011 at 08:39 AM. Reason: spelling mistake
Old 06-27-2011, 09:30 AM   #13
Ken Maltby
Wizard

It sounds like the update firmware folder doesn't contain good files or file because the
update process just barely got started, then hung. I would re-download the proper files,
and try again.

Trying to to do updates from a Linux system has been a problem reported on this forum
in the past, you might have better luck on your windows laptop. You could follow the
steps I described to prepare your Libre's memory and the SD card using that.

You might consider that unless you mention otherwise, it will normally be assumed that
your PC will be running under a Windows OS.

Luck;
Ken
Old 06-27-2011, 10:03 AM   #14
MorganM
Fanatic

I have downloaded the files from the Aluratek site several times over. I dunno it just stops dead. I have done the above on my laptop.
Old 06-27-2011, 10:10 AM   #15
Ken Maltby
Wizard

When it starts normally can you read a .txt file off of the SD Card?

Luck;
Ken