Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Library Management

Notices

Old 03-30-2011, 12:07 PM   #1
bookfanmd
Addict
bookfanmd has a spectacular aura aboutbookfanmd has a spectacular aura aboutbookfanmd has a spectacular aura aboutbookfanmd has a spectacular aura aboutbookfanmd has a spectacular aura aboutbookfanmd has a spectacular aura aboutbookfanmd has a spectacular aura aboutbookfanmd has a spectacular aura aboutbookfanmd has a spectacular aura aboutbookfanmd has a spectacular aura aboutbookfanmd has a spectacular aura about

Device: Sony 300/505/T1 Nook STWG Kobo Glo Kobo Aura HD KDX iPad1 K3 KT PW2
Title Options - Book starts with A or The

Hi, I searched for this in the Calibre site and on Mobileread but couldn't find. If it's already been covered please point me in the right direction.

Is there a simple way to turn off the feature that changes the book sort of a book starting with The or A to sort on the second word of the title instead? I have been changing them manually whenever I come across it but I was hoping there was a way to stop that from being the default.

I don't remember Calibre always doing it that way so it's probably something that someone requested but I think of the book with the whole title and don't like it.

Thanks for any help.
bookfanmd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2011, 12:17 PM   #2
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by bookfanmd View Post
Hi, I searched for this in the Calibre site and on Mobileread but couldn't find. If it's already been covered please point me in the right direction.

Is there a simple way to turn off the feature that changes the book sort of a book starting with The or A to sort on the second word of the title instead? I have been changing them manually whenever I come across it but I was hoping there was a way to stop that from being the default.

I don't remember Calibre always doing it that way so it's probably something that someone requested but I think of the book with the whole title and don't like it.

Thanks for any help.
That is controlled by 'Tweaks' in the Preferences section:

Look for the Tweak Set the list of words that are to be considered 'articles' the instructions are in the upper pane,
edit after the = sign in the lower pane.
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-30-2011, 12:24 PM   #3
bookfanmd
Addict
bookfanmd has a spectacular aura aboutbookfanmd has a spectacular aura aboutbookfanmd has a spectacular aura aboutbookfanmd has a spectacular aura aboutbookfanmd has a spectacular aura aboutbookfanmd has a spectacular aura aboutbookfanmd has a spectacular aura aboutbookfanmd has a spectacular aura aboutbookfanmd has a spectacular aura aboutbookfanmd has a spectacular aura aboutbookfanmd has a spectacular aura about

Device: Sony 300/505/T1 Nook STWG Kobo Glo Kobo Aura HD KDX iPad1 K3 KT PW2
Thanks, I will try that.
bookfanmd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2011, 04:51 PM   #4
Starson17
Wizard
Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: WinMo: IPAQ; Android: HTC HD2, Archos 7o; Java:Gravity T
Quote:
Originally Posted by theducks View Post
Look for the Tweak Set the list of words that are to be considered 'articles'
That tweak will let you change the words considered to be articles, but it may not be the best tweak to change.

I'd suggest changing the sorting tweak under "Control sorting of title and series in the library display" to:
title_series_sorting = 'strictly_alphabetic'

The difference is subtle. If you change the sorting tweak as I suggest, the words "a" and "the" are still considered to be articles. Articles are used in several places, but one is in title matching for automerge. The following titles are all the same if you leave the default article list alone and just change the sorting order tweak.

Code:
A Place in the Sun
Place in the Sun
Place in the Sun, A
If you remove the words "a" and "the" from the article list, they are different titles to the automerge function. I've forgotten other places the article list is used. When enabled, automerge tries to identify books that have slight variations in the title as being the same, and if you remove the article list, you'll get far fewer matches.

Last edited by Starson17; 03-30-2011 at 04:53 PM.
Starson17 is offline   Reply With Quote