Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Barnes & Noble NOOK

Notices

Old 12-19-2010, 02:16 PM   #1
fascha
fascha began at the beginning.

Device: nook
Book Prices

I was just browsing BN and I noticed (the Alchemist) that I can get a cheaper paperback vs eBook. Does this happen very often? I was slightly peeved. Also, is there a better online source for ebook purchases that sell formats that the nook support?
fascha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2010, 02:25 PM   #2
ATDrake
Wizzard
ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2 International, Sony PRS-T1, BlackBerry PlayBook, Acer Iconia
Yes, very often. Most of the time in the US, the publishers are dictating the prices and won't allow discounts, and they have high expectations for what they think they can sell.

Kobo books (mostly ADE-DRM ePub, some PDF, watch out for the few "online/mobile"-only titles which you won't be able to use), especially if you're Canadian (I assume GTA in your location refers to the Greater Toronto Area).

They offer frequent discount coupons (there are a couple in the Deals forum running right now, for 25% off and up) which can apply to most, but not all of their books, and the checkout will warn you if a book is non-discountable before you try to apply the coupon code.

Plus they charge in CAD and accept Chapters Indigo gift cards now, so you can avoid a whole bunch of little USD credit card charges that might trigger a fraud-suspicion warning at your CC company.
ATDrake is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-19-2010, 02:42 PM   #3
fascha
fascha began at the beginning.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATDrake View Post
Yes, very often. Most of the time in the US, the publishers are dictating the prices and won't allow discounts, and they have high expectations for what they think they can sell.

Kobo books (mostly ADE-DRM ePub, some PDF, watch out for the few "online/mobile"-only titles which you won't be able to use), especially if you're Canadian (I assume GTA in your location refers to the Greater Toronto Area).

They offer frequent discount coupons (there are a couple in the Deals forum running right now, for 25% off and up) which can apply to most, but not all of their books, and the checkout will warn you if a book is non-discountable before you try to apply the coupon code.

Plus they charge in CAD and accept Chapters Indigo gift cards now, so you can avoid a whole bunch of little USD credit card charges that might trigger a fraud-suspicion warning at your CC company.

Thanks for your quick reply. I am in Canada, so I appreciate for the tip about the mobile only titles. It didn't even occur to me that the small US$ credit card charges would definitely red-flag my CC company! Now I know what to do with all my "almost used up" Chapters cards

I think I also have a 35% off coupon for my first ebook purchase for signing up. Thanks again!
fascha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2010, 05:32 PM   #4
bgalbrecht
Wizard
bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Simple Touch, Kobo Glo HD, Kobo Clara HD, Kindle 4
Currently, any recently released ebook by the Agency 5 publishers (MacMillan, Hatchette, HarperCollins, Simon & Schuster, and Penguin) will probably be more expensive than the mass market paperback of the same title, because B&N discounts MMPB by 10%, and the Agency 5 publishers are setting the ebook price to the MMPB list price and B&N cannot discount the ebook price.

It's why I've stopped buying Agency 5 ebooks.
bgalbrecht is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2010, 10:29 AM   #5
spec
Zealot
spec has a spectacular aura aboutspec has a spectacular aura aboutspec has a spectacular aura aboutspec has a spectacular aura aboutspec has a spectacular aura aboutspec has a spectacular aura aboutspec has a spectacular aura aboutspec has a spectacular aura aboutspec has a spectacular aura aboutspec has a spectacular aura aboutspec has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by fascha View Post
I was just browsing BN and I noticed (the Alchemist) that I can get a cheaper paperback vs eBook. Does this happen very often? I was slightly peeved. Also, is there a better online source for ebook purchases that sell formats that the nook support?
regarding this particular book and author: Coelho did a self promo a while back pretending to be a hacker and published all his books for free. The stunt was to promote his newest book. So you can legally get alchemist for free from the author himself (many formats and languages if i remember correctly):
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Paulo_Coelho#File_sharing
http://piratecoelho.wordpress.com/

I found out about it from the book "Free (future of radical price)"

Last edited by spec; 12-20-2010 at 12:01 PM.
spec is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-20-2010, 01:46 PM   #6
supercrunch
supercrunch began at the beginning.

Device: Nook
I am a bit mortified with the pricing as well. I just bought a nook for my daughter for Christmas and I went to load a few books on it for her, and I noticed that while B&N is charging $9.99 for many books that retail for under $7, amazon has the kindle version of these books for $6.49.

I picked the Nook for several reasons, but now I am starting to think that the Kindle would have been a better option for book prices alone.
supercrunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2010, 03:10 PM   #7
glazwegian
glazwegian is on a distinguished road

Device: Nook Color, Sony PRS-350(silver)
Supercrunch, I've read if you e-mail B&N about the lower Amazon price, B&N will match it. I personally have not done this, however.

Good luck!
glazwegian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2010, 05:43 PM   #8
spec
Zealot
spec has a spectacular aura aboutspec has a spectacular aura aboutspec has a spectacular aura aboutspec has a spectacular aura aboutspec has a spectacular aura aboutspec has a spectacular aura aboutspec has a spectacular aura aboutspec has a spectacular aura aboutspec has a spectacular aura aboutspec has a spectacular aura aboutspec has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by glazwegian View Post
Supercrunch, I've read if you e-mail B&N about the lower Amazon price, B&N will match it. I personally have not done this, however.

Good luck!
Doesnt seems to be the case:
http://bookclubs.barnesandnoble.com/...es/td-p/756794

B&N's person response 4th from top
spec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2010, 04:44 PM   #9
The Joker
Addict
The Joker has learned how to read e-booksThe Joker has learned how to read e-booksThe Joker has learned how to read e-booksThe Joker has learned how to read e-booksThe Joker has learned how to read e-booksThe Joker has learned how to read e-booksThe Joker has learned how to read e-books

Device: NookColor.........rooted
I don't envision actually buying many books....I've been a library whore for years.....and with my new nook, I'll be the same......I haven't actually used the netlibrary yet, since I just got my nook last nite, but I have had several discussions with the librarian.......and it sounds like their net library of Ebooks is extensive, with most of all the new releases available just like hard copies......I don't mind being in the queue for my books to become available.....
The Joker is offline   Reply With Quote