Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Lounge

Notices

Old 06-18-2008, 06:41 PM   #121
zelda_pinwheel
zeldinha zippy zeldissima
zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: eb1150 & is that a nook in her pocket, or she just happy to see you?
it would seem that badges have met with general approval.
zelda_pinwheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2008, 07:37 PM   #122
desertgrandma
Enjoying the show....
desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: A K1, Kindle Paperwhite, an Ipod, IPad2, Iphone, an Ipad Mini & macAir
Glenda the Good Witch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alexander Turcic View Post
In the name of MobileRead, I sincerely apologize for any "negative" karma that may have been spread by some of our moderators. It's not OK that anyone of you should feel ashamed for using the Karma feature.

Please continue using it as much and often as you like. And if anyone feels differently about it, please message me.

Alex
Do you remember her from The Wizard of Oz? Please all close your eyes as I, in her stead, shower you with magic fairy dust to make you all feel good, and happy. And those of you who do the donkey work which benefits us all........you get to bathe in the stuff!
desertgrandma is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-18-2008, 07:53 PM   #123
nrapallo
GuteBook/Mobi2IMP Creator
nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: REB1200 EBW1150 Device: T1 NSTG iLiad_v2 NC Device: Asus_TF Next1 WPDN
Sorry to interrupt the current thought, but I've always wondered if the forum software could easily list, in my User Control Panel, the 'Karma given' by me as well as the 'Latest Reputation Received' (i.e. karma received)?

Alex, do you have a 'suggestion box' this could go in?
nrapallo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2008, 08:53 PM   #124
vivaldirules
When's Doughnut Day?
vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-505, iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alexander Turcic View Post
Then someone mentioned badges, an idea which generated a lot of interest. So can I assume that badges are the way to go?...
Badges, two karmas, no karmas - I'm cool with any of those, Alexander. Heck, chocolate would be fine with me. Hey, can we give out chocolate? Okay, you don't have to answer that.
vivaldirules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2008, 09:33 PM   #125
RWood
Technogeezer
RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-500
Quote:
Originally Posted by vivaldirules View Post
Badges, two karmas, no karmas - I'm cool with any of those, Alexander. Heck, chocolate would be fine with me. Hey, can we give out chocolate? Okay, you don't have to answer that.
Vets all over the country are agreed that chocolate for dogs is a bad idea. It seems that dogs have a hard time digesting chocolate and shortens a dog’s life. So folks, please do not feed VR any more chocolates. Its for his own good.
RWood is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-19-2008, 06:58 AM   #126
zelda_pinwheel
zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

yes, i'm pretty sure chocolate is bad for cats as well. i don't give mine any (more for me, hehehe !!).

we could give vr badges though. i don't think those have any ill effects on dogs, cats, geckos, gibbons or humans. they seem to have been extensively tested on scouts already, and i think by now we would have noticed if they led to, say, wearing silly clothes in public (oh wait...) .
Old 06-19-2008, 08:19 AM   #127
Mindy
Away with the Faeries
Mindy can illuminate an eclipseMindy can illuminate an eclipseMindy can illuminate an eclipseMindy can illuminate an eclipseMindy can illuminate an eclipseMindy can illuminate an eclipseMindy can illuminate an eclipseMindy can illuminate an eclipseMindy can illuminate an eclipseMindy can illuminate an eclipseMindy can illuminate an eclipse

Device: Sony PRS 650
Interesting conundrum:
Does receipt of badges follow from wearing silly clothes in public or does wearing silly clothes dependent follow on from receipt of badges?

This could outdo the great chicken & egg debate!
Mindy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2008, 08:35 AM   #128
vivaldirules
When's Doughnut Day?
vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-505, iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by RWood View Post
Vets all over the country are agreed that chocolate for dogs is a bad idea. It seems that dogs have a hard time digesting chocolate and shortens a dog’s life. So folks, please do not feed VR any more chocolates. Its for his own good.
Okay, I'll give the chocolate and will gladly receive belly rubs. Or bacon. Bacon!!
vivaldirules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2008, 08:58 AM   #129
zelda_pinwheel

well, as a vegetarian, i try to stay well away from bacon, so i'll just give you belly rubs. ok ? oh and i can do walkies as well.
Old 06-19-2008, 09:56 AM   #130
nekokami
fruminous edugeek
nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad, eBw 1150
Let's not forget ear-scritches. Cockatiels like those, too. (And cockatiels are also highly allergic to chocolate.)

Some specific badges might include:
Book Uploader - for first book uploaded
10 Books Uploaded
50 Books Uploaded
500... (Yes, we need this!)
We might actually need one after that. How many has Patricia done again???
(I'm inclined against "most books uploaded," however, because I think that's against the spirit of MR.)

These could probably be generated automatically, since book uploads go in specific sections. Qualifying for multiple badges should result in displaying all of them, to my mind.

Then we might have "Software Contributed" -- I don't know as numbers are as important, there, but platform might be. E.g. "Sony Reader SW Contributed," "iLiad SW Contributed," etc. These would probably have to be by nomination to the editorial team, because software tends to be in attachments or even links to other sites, but it doesn't happen with the miraculous frequency of book uploads, so that should be ok.

It would be very nice if clicking on the badge would take the user to the relevant part of MR, though. E.g. clicking on a "books uploaded" badge could take one to a list of books uploaded by that person, the "iLiad SW" badge could take the user to the iLiad SW forum, etc. (No need to get obsessive about exactly where in the forum or which 500 books or whatever, just a general pointer.)

I'd also like to see, by nomination, "Thread Defuser". For people like Alex who try to keep things calm when the hot issues start to come to a boil.

This leaves the existing karma as a general "contribution to community" kind of feature.
nekokami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2008, 10:05 AM   #131
pshrynk
Beepbeep n beebeep, yeah!
pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iThingie, KmkII, I miss Zelda!
Quote:
Originally Posted by nekokami View Post
Let's not forget ear-scritches. Cockatiels like those, too. (And cockatiels are also highly allergic to chocolate.)

10 Books Uploaded
50 Books Uploaded
(I'm inclined against "most books uploaded," however, because I think that's against the spirit of MR.)

These could probably be generated automatically, since book uploads go in specific sections. Qualifying for multiple badges should result in displaying all of them, to my mind.

Then we might have "Software Contributed" -- I don't know as numbers are as important, there, but platform might be. E.g. "Sony Reader SW Contributed," "iLiad SW Contributed," etc. These would probably have to be by nomination to the editorial team, because software tends to be in attachments or even links to other sites, but it doesn't happen with the miraculous frequency of book uploads, so that should be ok.

It would be very nice if clicking on the badge would take the user to the relevant part of MR, though. E.g. clicking on a "books uploaded" badge could take one to a list of books uploaded by that person, the "iLiad SW" badge could take the user to the iLiad SW forum, etc. (No need to get obsessive about exactly where in the forum or which 500 books or whatever, just a general pointer.)

I'd also like to see, by nomination, "Thread Defuser". For people like Alex who try to keep things calm when the hot issues start to come to a boil.

This leaves the existing karma as a general "contribution to community" kind of feature.
Don't forget my Super Secret Captain Midnight Decoder Badge!
pshrynk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2008, 10:08 AM   #132
zelda_pinwheel

Quote:
Originally Posted by nekokami View Post

10 Books Uploaded
50 Books Uploaded

i agree with this idea. let's not forget that now is the time to implement the "book goddess" badge, specifically for patricia.

and yes, badges are DEFINITELY cumulative !! (like karma fortune super-powers).

Quote:
we could probably have even more badge categories ; for example, people could get nominated for being particularly helpful with technical questions, even if they don't upload any softs. maybe we could have something like "hardware guru" and "software wizard" (ar ar ar). if this seems like turning into too much work, perhaps this feature could be semi-automated, like people could click on a button "helpful answer" or something (like on amazon, you can say whether a review was helpful to you) and after a certain number of clicks, the helpful member badge would be attributed. this would have to be a separate click from karma. just stop me, if this seems like it's too complicated to implement.

Quote:
perhaps this function could be tied to a search function for some badges ? like, the ebook uploader badges could bring up search results of ALL the books uploaded by that user (that should be possible, right ? and then there's no worrying about which 5 books of the 500 to display...).

Quote:
yes, i definitely think that there should also be badges for less materially obvious things which are nonetheless essential to keeping the community humming along (along with the "helpfulness" badges i mentioned above). i think it goes without saying that Alex gets his badge unanimously. i can think of a couple of other people who should get a "thread defuser" badge as well.

Quote:
sounds good to me.
Old 06-19-2008, 10:11 AM   #133
zelda_pinwheel

Quote:
Originally Posted by pshrynk View Post
Don't forget my Super Secret Captain Midnight Decoder Badge!
right, and there's that one !! i beleive the Minister of General Silliness has to attribute that one. I think there's even a ceremony, like when you're knighted.
Old 06-19-2008, 10:12 AM   #134
pshrynk
Beepbeep n beebeep, yeah!
pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iThingie, KmkII, I miss Zelda!
Quote:
Originally Posted by zelda_pinwheel View Post
yes, i definitely think that there should also be badges for less materially obvious things which are nonetheless essential to keeping the community humming along (along with the "helpfulness" badges i mentioned above). i think it goes without saying that Alex gets his badge unanimously. i can think of a couple of other people who should get a "thread defuser" badge as well.
SUPER SECRET CAPTAIN MIDNIGHT DECODER BADGE!

Oops. Simul-posting!
pshrynk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2008, 10:14 AM   #135
zelda_pinwheel

calm down, calm down !! i gotcher SUPER SECRET CAPTAIN MIDNIGHT DECODER BADGE! right here.

Tags
focking, lefty