Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 10-16-2009, 12:39 PM   #1
dmaul1114
Wizard
dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Amazon Kindle 1
Apple allows In-App Sales--could open door for e-book store apps

http://www.wired.com/gadgetlab/2009/10/tablet-print-2/

Basically they're allowing content to be sold through free apps now. So e-book stores could put out apps and sell books to iPhone users.

More fuel for the iTablet rumors?
dmaul1114 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2009, 12:55 PM   #2
Hellmark
Wizard
Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nokia N800, PRS-505, Nook STR Glowlight, Kindle 3
I don't see this as a change that would fuel rumors for a tablet. It is just a way to make it more attractive for people to develop for iphone.
Hellmark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2009, 01:14 PM   #3
dmaul1114
Wizard
dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

This news on it's own, I'd agree with you. But combine with all the table rumors and stories of Apple meeting with the NY times and other publishers and it seems like a little more fuel to the fire.

I'm skeptical the iTablet will do what I want if it comes out, but Apple is the company who can make a tablet device successful if any one can. And if they do there will be a deluge of them from Microsoft and other places that will provide a variety of options.
Old 10-16-2009, 01:37 PM   #4
Hellmark
Wizard
Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

The other rumors, are just that, rumors. I haven't believed them, because well, how many about the tablet have been false? People have been saying it was coming for years, and none have bore truth.

As far as reports of Apple meeting with newspapers, well, it could be to allow the newspapers to manage their own subscriptions, unlike how it is via the kindle.
Old 10-16-2009, 01:56 PM   #5
dmaul1114
Wizard

We'll see. I'm just desperate for some good tablet devices. Current readers, PCs, netbooks etc. are absolutely worthless for what I need to do with academic books, articles etc.
Old 10-16-2009, 02:17 PM   #6
Hellmark
Wizard

Really, I've not seen anything that the purported upcoming tablets are claimed to do that tablet PCs cannot already.
Old 10-18-2009, 02:22 PM   #7
dmaul1114
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hellmark View Post
Really, I've not seen anything that the purported upcoming tablets are claimed to do that tablet PCs cannot already.
Size and portability. Current tablet PCS are way to heavy and bulky to comfortably hold and read like a book, or to take notes on in place of a legal pad etc.

They're basically just laptops with stylus screens--and the few I've tried (it's been a couple years) the stylus writing wasn't very responsive.

So give me something with a 10" or so screen, less than an inch thick, with a very responsive stylus screen that's super easy to write on and I'll be very interested.
Old 10-18-2009, 05:40 PM   #8
fugazied
Wizard
fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: iPod Touch
I don't think this would affect ebook sales that much? I was thinking the ebooks would sell just like audiobooks/mp3s/lps/movies/tv sells in the iTunes store.

I suppose there is a possibility of certain publishers having their own apps which act like a portal to the books they license (which sounds ugly).
fugazied is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2009, 09:40 PM   #9
Hellmark
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmaul1114 View Post
Size and portability. Current tablet PCS are way to heavy and bulky to comfortably hold and read like a book, or to take notes on in place of a legal pad etc.

They're basically just laptops with stylus screens--and the few I've tried (it's been a couple years) the stylus writing wasn't very responsive.

So give me something with a 10" or so screen, less than an inch thick, with a very responsive stylus screen that's super easy to write on and I'll be very interested.
It really depends on the stylus tech being used. I personally have refused to use any thing that requires the use of a stylus, but isn't based on Wacom technology. All the ones that use styluses not based on Wacom, tend to be a bit poor in quality, with issues like need for batteries, responsiveness, etc. The ones that just have a normal touch screen, like most PDAs have, usually are ok.
Old 10-18-2009, 10:06 PM   #10
carlobee
Fanatic
carlobee has learned how to read e-bookscarlobee has learned how to read e-bookscarlobee has learned how to read e-bookscarlobee has learned how to read e-bookscarlobee has learned how to read e-bookscarlobee has learned how to read e-bookscarlobee has learned how to read e-bookscarlobee has learned how to read e-books

Device: The new iPad
although the "free apps remain free" idea they introduced during their release of the 3.0 was a great idea (as they said 'to avoid confusion'), it really did not become that convenient for me and many other users because they would tend to separate the lite version and the full version.

now, this new policy is really a good one. it would beneficial to a lot. however, i really do not immediately think of it as something that would eventually lead to the rumored tablet PCs.

carlobee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2009, 11:27 PM   #11
Kali Yuga
Professional Contrarian
Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 4 No Touchie
In-app sales were announced in March. As in 6+ months ago.

Tying this to "w00t Apple Tablet" rumors is just a crass attempt by Wired / the article's author to drive traffic to the site/article.
Kali Yuga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2009, 02:35 AM   #12
zacheryjensen
Addict
zacheryjensen has learned how to read e-bookszacheryjensen has learned how to read e-bookszacheryjensen has learned how to read e-bookszacheryjensen has learned how to read e-bookszacheryjensen has learned how to read e-bookszacheryjensen has learned how to read e-bookszacheryjensen has learned how to read e-books

Device: iPad, iPhone 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kali Yuga View Post
In-app sales were announced in March. As in 6+ months ago.

Tying this to "w00t Apple Tablet" rumors is just a crass attempt by Wired / the article's author to drive traffic to the site/article.
You are underinformed my friend. The significance here has nothing to do with the announcement of in-app purchases. The significance is that the old rule was that apps could only do in-app purchases if that app itself costed money. But, obviously driven by market demand/developer pressure, apple has relaxed that policy so free apps can do in-app purchases now too.

That means a free ebook reader like B&N reader, or Kindle, can have in-app purchases managed by the iTunes store. This is, honestly, more notable for helping eliminate the standby Lite vs. Full versions of apps but could easily be used to improve the experience of buying eBooks for reading on an iPhone.

That said, I don't see how this has anything to do whatsoever with the tablet rumors either. But the Apple Table subculture will obsess over the remotest hint of its existence. Just get used to it
zacheryjensen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2009, 04:31 AM   #13
stustaff
Wizard
stustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it is

Device: sony reader PRS505 and 600
The big problem with Ebooks on an apple tablet will be that you cant read them in the bath.
stustaff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2009, 12:54 PM   #14
dmaul1114
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by zacheryjensen View Post
That said, I don't see how this has anything to do whatsoever with the tablet rumors either. But the Apple Table subculture will obsess over the remotest hint of its existence. Just get used to it
Probably true.

I think where it comes in is that Apple has hinted that they have little interest in running an e-book store version of iTunes. So having free apps that can sell content opens the door for third party vendors to sell books on the iPhone. People just go the extra mile and list it as more hints toward a tablet device with a larger screen which would be better suited to reading than the tiny iPhone screen.
Old 10-20-2009, 01:33 AM   #15
zacheryjensen
Addict
zacheryjensen has learned how to read e-bookszacheryjensen has learned how to read e-bookszacheryjensen has learned how to read e-bookszacheryjensen has learned how to read e-bookszacheryjensen has learned how to read e-bookszacheryjensen has learned how to read e-bookszacheryjensen has learned how to read e-books

Device: iPad, iPhone 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmaul1114 View Post
Probably true.

I think where it comes in is that Apple has hinted that they have little interest in running an e-book store version of iTunes. So having free apps that can sell content opens the door for third party vendors to sell books on the iPhone. People just go the extra mile and list it as more hints toward a tablet device with a larger screen which would be better suited to reading than the tiny iPhone screen.
Odd as it sounds, despite using a number of screen sizes, I almost always come back to preferring the iPhone screen size, in portrait mode, because it reminds me of reading a continuous newspaper article in column layout. And I wouldn't want a pocket reader to be any bigger.

That said I would like an Apple-ized tablet device for home and at the office for a variety of reasons, and definitely would use it for book reading at least some of the time.
zacheryjensen is offline   Reply With Quote