Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

View Poll Results: Will you subscribe to Kindle Unlimited?
Yes 47 20.80%
No 179 79.20%
Voters: 226. You may not vote on this poll

Old 07-26-2014, 01:14 PM   #136
Catlady
Grand Sorcerer
Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Fire, Kindle Paperwhite, AGPTek Bluetooth Clip
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbcohen View Post
Hmm, I guess I will need to decide if I am willing to buy a kindle fire. I am doing a lot of thinking about this subject.
Seems like it would be easier to just sign up and try it out for the free month.
Catlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2014, 01:31 PM   #137
soondai
Guru
soondai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soondai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soondai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soondai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soondai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soondai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soondai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soondai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soondai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soondai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soondai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite
Quote:
Originally Posted by rguion View Post
I signed up for KU when I heard about the 3 free audible credits, see link below. After signing up for KU, I still don't see a new credit on my audible page. Is there another step to claim the 1st credit or did you guys just see it added right away?

http://www.audible.com/mt/KUTerms
I had to click thru the link in one of monkey's posts

click here:
http://www.audible.com/promo/offer/1..._1818?p=KUGIFT
soondai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2014, 02:43 PM   #138
rguion
Zealot
rguion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rguion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rguion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rguion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rguion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rguion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rguion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rguion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rguion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rguion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rguion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis
Seems like Kindle Unlimited is having initial growing pains. I subscribed when I heard about the audible credit, not a bad deal there. I wanted to read Marcus Sakey's Brilliance novel - got that on my Kindle right away after joining KU. Disappointed that the audible edition wasn't included - but days later I checked the book page and indeed it said "Kindle Unlimited with Narration". I refreshed my audible app but the audiobook version never appeared! Finally I contacted Audible customer service and they added it for me.

I bet you many other titles will have narration added as time goes by and they straighten out the system.
rguion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2014, 02:57 PM   #139
Jessica Lares
Wizard
Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini, iPod Touch (5th gen)
I found some GREAT reference books that I'm currently going over! One is $16, another $17, and then another $13. Almost $50 worth of books right there that cost more than the subscription.

The most exciting thing about Kindle Unlimited I have come across so far!!
Jessica Lares is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2014, 09:38 PM   #140
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Beaten Path, USA, Roundworld, This Side of Infinity
Device: Kindle Touch fw5.3.7 (Wifi only)
Quote:
Originally Posted by DuckieTigger View Post
No it is not the same link. You are talking about amzn.com/ku ? That does have the search, but not the categories. I want both, the categories and the search. Go from amzn.com/ku to "browse all titles in unlimited" - that is what I want and what I posted.
Ah, now I see what you wanted! But according to my browser at least, your link ALSO goes to the KU feature page...

(And no, I'm not upset about dragging this out. Just a friendly conversation, right? Finding out new stuff is always good.)
eschwartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2014, 08:07 AM   #141
shanghaichica
Guru
shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Scribe,Kindle Oasis 3, iPad Pro 11, iPhone 13 Pro Max,iPad mini 6, PW5
No. I prefer to *own my books outright. I don't like the idea of borrowing. Also I like to buy my books in bulk and then come back and read them at a later date so using a subscription service wouldn't work.
shanghaichica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2014, 02:46 PM   #142
Bookworm_Girl
E-reader Enthusiast
Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3; Kobo Aura One; iPad Mini 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jessica Lares View Post
I found some GREAT reference books that I'm currently going over! One is $16, another $17, and then another $13. Almost $50 worth of books right there that cost more than the subscription.

The most exciting thing about Kindle Unlimited I have come across so far!!
This is an excellent point! I use my current subscription service for exploring reference books on many subjects. Those can be more expensive, and you don't want to buy without knowing they have the right information you need. Sometimes you just need a little bit of info but don't need permanent access to the whole book.

A similar example is I use my subscription service for exploring cookbooks.

I also just discovered that KU has Lonely Planet travel guides!
Bookworm_Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2014, 04:14 PM   #143
Jessica Lares
Wizard
Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini, iPod Touch (5th gen)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bookworm_Girl View Post
This is an excellent point! I use my current subscription service for exploring reference books on many subjects. Those can be more expensive, and you don't want to buy without knowing they have the right information you need. Sometimes you just need a little bit of info but don't need permanent access to the whole book.

A similar example is I use my subscription service for exploring cookbooks.

I also just discovered that KU has Lonely Planet travel guides!
Yeah, I saw those Lonely Planet guides aswell! There's some of the Dummies too.

Just looking around some more now, there's some stuff on Scrivener, Evernote, and Dropbox for anyone interested.
Jessica Lares is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2014, 04:56 PM   #144
Bookworm_Girl
E-reader Enthusiast
Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3; Kobo Aura One; iPad Mini 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jessica Lares View Post
Yeah, I saw those Lonely Planet guides aswell! There's some of the Dummies too.

Just looking around some more now, there's some stuff on Scrivener, Evernote, and Dropbox for anyone interested.
Looks like they have many of The Everything Guides too.
Bookworm_Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2014, 05:52 PM   #145
Sydney's Mom
Wizard
Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Fire 3d Gen and 5th Gen and Samsung Tab S
I don't intend to subscribe beyond the 30-day free trial. I was thrilled when I saw main stream knitting books, and 34 pages, but after page 17 it is all single pattern stuff. Like I need 100 patterns for boot toppers. In terms of fiction, I picked up a couple books, but even if I don't read them before the month is up, I won't subscribe. Not Ready for Prime Time.
Sydney's Mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2014, 08:05 AM   #146
jbcohen
Wizard
jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung A21
Look at the amount of dollars that you spend on ebook on a monthly basis and compare, do you spend more than $10 per month on ebooks. I typically spend any where from $12 to $32 per month depending on the type of ebooks that I am reading that month.So the unlimited program is a good idea, it will alow me to put a cap on the book buying. And before you ask, yes i do borrow from the library, however tha tssumes that the library has something for me, which they frequently do not.
jbcohen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2014, 08:11 AM   #147
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Moto E6, Echo Show
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbcohen View Post
Look at the amount of dollars that you spend on ebook on a monthly basis and compare, do you spend more than $10 per month on ebooks. I typically spend any where from $12 to $32 per month depending on the type of ebooks that I am reading that month.So the unlimited program is a good idea, it will alow me to put a cap on the book buying. And before you ask, yes i do borrow from the library, however tha tssumes that the library has something for me, which they frequently do not.
I spend $0 per month on ebooks, so a subscription is definitely not for me. I get my books from the library, public domain, and free Kindle offers. There's always something for me to read; always.
tubemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2014, 08:52 AM   #148
fjtorres
Grand Sorcerer
fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: T100TA,PW2,PRS-T1,KT,FireHD 8.9,K2, PB360,BeBook One,Axim51v,TC1000
Quote:
Originally Posted by tubemonkey View Post
I spend $0 per month on ebooks, so a subscription is definitely not for me. I get my books from the library, public domain, and free Kindle offers. There's always something for me to read; always.
A lot of free Kindle offers might be going away if KU does well by the authors.
fjtorres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2014, 08:56 AM   #149
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Moto E6, Echo Show
Quote:
Originally Posted by fjtorres View Post
A lot of free Kindle offers might be going away if KU does well by the authors.
No big deal for me. I'll shift that loss over to library and public domain books. When it comes to reading, I'll happily take whatever is at hand. I'm very easy to please.
tubemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2014, 02:25 PM   #150
Sydney's Mom
Wizard
Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Fire 3d Gen and 5th Gen and Samsung Tab S
Quote:
Originally Posted by tubemonkey View Post
No big deal for me. I'll shift that loss over to library and public domain books. When it comes to reading, I'll happily take whatever is at hand. I'm very easy to please.
I bet you read cereal boxes!
Sydney's Mom is offline   Reply With Quote