Notices

Old 01-02-2013, 03:41 AM   #1
jpcavri
Microelectronic, retired
jpcavri began at the beginning.

Device: EEPAD ASUS transformer
sort books display with multiple criteria

I wonder if it is possible to sort books with more than one criteria like:
"Author" then "publication date" then ...
Thanks
jpcavri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 04:29 AM   #2
bookworm2000
bookworm2000 is a jewel in the roughbookworm2000 is a jewel in the roughbookworm2000 is a jewel in the roughbookworm2000 is a jewel in the roughbookworm2000 is a jewel in the roughbookworm2000 is a jewel in the roughbookworm2000 is a jewel in the roughbookworm2000 is a jewel in the roughbookworm2000 is a jewel in the roughbookworm2000 is a jewel in the roughbookworm2000 is a jewel in the rough

Device: Kindle 4NT, Android
You can do this in at least three different ways:

1) Click on the head of the "Published" column, THEN "Author"...

2) For more complicated sorts prepare a custom column with a template like

Code:
{author_sort} - {series}{series_index:0>2s| - | - }{title_sort}
When you click on that column your books will be listed as Author last name-> first name -> series (if available) -> series index -> title

3) Install the View Manager plugin. With that you can configure different views (including sort orders).

Last edited by bookworm2000; 01-02-2013 at 04:32 AM.
bookworm2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-02-2013, 04:38 AM   #3
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Note that you can set the default sort order in the "Tweaks". I have mine set by default to sort first by author, and then by series within author.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 10:32 AM   #4
jpcavri
Microelectronic, retired

Sort books disay

Thanks,
But I'm a bit lost:
1/If I click one one column, this one is selected and when I click to an other one, the fist is unselected and the second becomes the selected one.
2/ I cant understand how to write this magic formula
3/Where can I found this view manager plugin.
Sorry for my ignorance but I will do do my best to progress (there is a lot of room and I am retired).

Quote:
Originally Posted by bookworm2000 View Post
You can do this in at least three different ways:

1) Click on the head of the "Published" column, THEN "Author"...

2) For more complicated sorts prepare a custom column with a template like

Code:
{author_sort} - {series}{series_index:0>2s| - | - }{title_sort}
When you click on that column your books will be listed as Author last name-> first name -> series (if available) -> series index -> title

3) Install the View Manager plugin. With that you can configure different views (including sort orders).
Old 01-02-2013, 10:52 AM   #5
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by jpcavri View Post
Thanks,
But I'm a bit lost:
1/If I click one one column, this one is selected and when I click to an other one, the fist is unselected and the second becomes the selected one.
When you click first one column header, and then a second, the sort order of the first is preserved within the second. So if you want to sort by author, and then sort by title within author, click first the "Title" column header, and then the "Author" column header. ie, you work from the "inside out".
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-02-2013, 01:00 PM   #6
fidvo
Addict
fidvo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fidvo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fidvo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fidvo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fidvo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fidvo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fidvo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fidvo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fidvo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fidvo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fidvo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
HarryT's explanation above is absolutely correct, but let me go into a little more detail.

When you click on Author, the books are sorted by author, but for each author, the previous order of the books is preserved. So, for instance, if you have the following books:

Smith, John: Just Some Book 2, the Sequel (published 1923)
Johnson, Bob: This Is My Book (published 1920)
Smith, John: Just Some Book (published 1919)

If you sort by author, the books will end up like this:

Note that for John Smith, the books are in the wrong order by publication date, because they were in the wrong order by publication date before you sorted them.

How to fix this is to first sort by publication date:

This puts all the books in publication date order, so that when you sort by author:

this puts Bob Johnson before John Smith, but otherwise leaves the order of John Smith's alone, i.e. it preserves the publication date because that's how they were sorted before.

This works for three, four, or any number of sort order levels. Sort by the most specific criterion, then by the next most specific, and so on up to the most general. It's counterintuitive, but once you get used to it, it's really no big deal.
fidvo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 01:31 PM   #7
bookworm2000
bookworm2000 is a jewel in the roughbookworm2000 is a jewel in the roughbookworm2000 is a jewel in the roughbookworm2000 is a jewel in the roughbookworm2000 is a jewel in the roughbookworm2000 is a jewel in the roughbookworm2000 is a jewel in the roughbookworm2000 is a jewel in the roughbookworm2000 is a jewel in the roughbookworm2000 is a jewel in the roughbookworm2000 is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
2/ I cant understand how to write this magic formula
a) If you right-click on any column header a list of options appear. Choose "Add your own columns" (the last one). A new window will open, listing all your columns.

b) Press "Add a user-defined column" (at the bottom or the green "+").

c) Another window will appear. Choose a lookup name (e.g. "sort") and a column heading (e.g. "Sort"). For column type choose "Column built from other columns".

d) Copy the template from my first post to "Template". If you want to create your own templates I strongly recommend to read the Calibre template language manual.

e) Choose "Text" in the "Search column by" field.

SEE THE ATTACHED SCREENSHOT FOR AN OPTICAL REPRESENTATION OF THESE INSTRUCTIONS.

f) Click "OK". You will return to the last window. Click "Apply". When you're asked choose "Restart calibre now"

g) Calibre will restart. Your "Sort" column should now be visible. Click it's header once to sort ascending or twice to sort descending.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	screenshot.jpg
Views:	167
Size:	102.1 KB
ID:	98622  
Old 01-02-2013, 01:44 PM   #8
bookworm2000

Quote:
3/Where can I found this view manager plugin.
a) Click on "Preferences"

b) Choose "Plugins"

c) In the new window click on "Get new plugins".

d) Choose the "View Manager" plugin and click "Install".

I hope this helps.
Old 01-03-2013, 02:14 AM   #9
jpcavri
Microelectronic, retired

Thanks to all,
You answers fulfill all my requests.
Calibre is really one of the best software!
Sorry for my English language but as you Frenches are among the worst foreign language speakers
Jean-Pierre