Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 03-27-2012, 07:27 AM   #1
patrickt
Wizard
patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite 4 X 2
English Usage - Former Governor

I'm curious. I use titles for people who were once a judge, a president, a governor. President Clinton is no longer president but I believe he keeps the title. President Truman will always be a president.

This morning I was reading the news and saw, "Former Representative Jefferson...." The representative in question is in prison.

#hen does a judge become a former judge or a president become the former president? Is it strictly the users preference or is there some sort of rule to cover this?
patrickt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2012, 11:05 AM   #2
murraypaul
Interested Bystander
murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Note 4, Kobo One
Quote:
Originally Posted by patrickt View Post
I'm curious. I use titles for people who were once a judge, a president, a governor. President Clinton is no longer president but I believe he keeps the title. President Truman will always be a president.

This morning I was reading the news and saw, "Former Representative Jefferson...." The representative in question is in prison.

#hen does a judge become a former judge or a president become the former president? Is it strictly the users preference or is there some sort of rule to cover this?
I've always thought it was an oddity of the US Presidential system that former presidents were still referred to as President.

Otherwise, they are all job titles. If you aren't in the job any more, you don't get the title.
murraypaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-27-2012, 02:03 PM   #3
plib
Guru
plib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.plib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.plib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.plib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.plib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.plib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.plib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.plib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.plib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.plib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.plib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch
Quote:
I#hen does a judge become a former judge or a president become the former president? Is it strictly the users preference or is there some sort of rule to cover this?
I think it changes when you get sent to prison!
plib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2012, 02:09 PM   #4
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Moto E6, Echo Show
Quote:
Originally Posted by plib View Post
I think it changes when you get sent to prison!
tubemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2012, 05:00 PM   #5
Andrew H.
Grand Master of Flowers
Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW, Kindle 3 (aka Keyboard), iPhone, iPad 3 (not for reading)
Quote:

It is common to refer to former judges and representatives as "Judge" or "Representative" where I live, but it's only a courtesy title, and it would not be wrong or inappropriate to call them "Mr." or "Ms." or whatever.

In the cases I'm familiar with, the judge or representative has stepped down from their previous position and been made the head of an agency...where they may encounter many of the same people they encountered in their previous occupation.

Note, too, that's it's difficult to not to continue to call someone "Judge X" if you've been doing so for the past 15 years...
Andrew H. is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-27-2012, 05:12 PM   #6
Rob Lister
Fanatic
Rob Lister ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rob Lister ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rob Lister ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rob Lister ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rob Lister ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rob Lister ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rob Lister ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rob Lister ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rob Lister ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rob Lister ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rob Lister ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Simple Touch
www.formsofaddress.info

covers most circumstances...with good rules of thumb, like "once honorable, always honorable."
Rob Lister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2012, 06:07 PM   #7
carpetmojo
Wizard
carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony- T3, PRS650, 350, T1/2/3, Paperwhite, Fire 8.9,Samsung Tab S 10.5
Talking

There is the strange practice (in the UK anyway ) of some retired members of the Forces insisting on being referred to by their ex-rank - Captain Mark Phillips being one notably daft example.
I know one instance of a ex-mariner who would always let you know he was "Captain ......" still, at 76 y-o.
The funny thing was, he always walked as if he never quite got his land-legs back - literally proceeding with a rolling kind of gait....
Sadly, when I tried it I was accused of consuming the Demon Drink, quite falsley.

The "ex-" , by the by, is apparently OK with some "trades" (ex- MP, ex-banker, for example ) but I don't ever recall hearing of ex-Captain Mark Phillips, for example, certainly.

Bit infra dig, prob'ly.

Lower the old tone slightly.

And while we're on it, what about Leftenant and Lootenant - Noel Coward musical in there somewhere..............
carpetmojo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2012, 08:14 PM   #8
plib
Guru
plib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.plib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.plib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.plib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.plib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.plib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.plib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.plib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.plib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.plib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.plib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by carpetmojo View Post
The "ex-" , by the by, is apparently OK with some "trades" (ex- MP, ex-banker, for example ) but I don't ever recall hearing of ex-Captain Mark Phillips, for example, certainly.
Seems a bit strange. He is an ex-. Princess Anne's ex-.
plib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2012, 09:03 PM   #9
wodin
Illiterate
wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung Galaxy S10+, Microsoft Surface Pro
Either President or former President is correct usage; the same holds true for many other honorifics. I think more depends of the user than the usee. In the case, for instance, of a news commentator it might be “former President Bush”, but “President Clinton” for a left leaning reporter but just the opposite for a right leaning one.
wodin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2012, 10:05 PM   #10
MrsJoseph
Loves Ellipsis...
MrsJoseph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrsJoseph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrsJoseph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrsJoseph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrsJoseph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrsJoseph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrsJoseph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrsJoseph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrsJoseph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrsJoseph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrsJoseph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Wifi (broken), nook STR (returned), Kobo Touch, Sony T1
Quote:
Originally Posted by wodin View Post
Either President or former President is correct usage; the same holds true for many other honorifics. I think more depends of the user than the usee. In the case, for instance, of a news commentator it might be “former President Bush”, but “President Clinton” for a left leaning reporter but just the opposite for a right leaning one.
I always get confused with the Presidents. I hear Clinton and Bush referred to as both President and former President. But I also hear Clinton & Bush AND Obama being referred to as Mr. That one always throws me for a loop.
MrsJoseph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2012, 10:24 PM   #11
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Moto E6, Echo Show
I generally don't use titles - too elitist.
tubemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2012, 12:10 AM   #12
Catlady
Grand Sorcerer
Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Fire, Kindle Paperwhite, AGPTek Bluetooth Clip
Quote:

If you are addressing the individual directly, in person or in a letter, you would use the title as a courtesy. If you're talking about the person, as in the news article, you'd indicate "former" initially. Most newspapers would then use only the last name, no title at all, for subsequent mentions.
Catlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2012, 01:27 AM   #13
Phogg
PHD in Horribleness
Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Just a whole bunch. I guess I am a collector now.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Lister View Post
www.formsofaddress.info

covers most circumstances...with good rules of thumb, like "once honorable, always honorable."
I can't think of a single politician or judge that has served in my lifetime to whom it would apply then.
Phogg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2012, 04:21 AM   #14
howyoudoin
how YOU doin?
howyoudoin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.howyoudoin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.howyoudoin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.howyoudoin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.howyoudoin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.howyoudoin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.howyoudoin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.howyoudoin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.howyoudoin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.howyoudoin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.howyoudoin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Keyboard, iPad Pro 10.5”, Kobo Aura H2O, Kobo Libra 2
I suppose it's like the doctors. One doesn't stop referring to a retired doctor as Dr. XYZ.

Although I do suppose it's a bit different with doctors. A doctor can always give a valid professional opinion as long as he holds a license, even though he's retired from active service. Whereas Armymen and judges and presidents don't have the authority they had previously, once they're retired.
howyoudoin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2012, 04:35 AM   #15
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
In the UK, politicians don't have titles, so the question doesn't arise. When the British Prime Minister visits the US, it always sounds strange to us when the American media refers to him as "Prime Minister Cameron". He isn't "Prime Minister Cameron", he's just plain "Mr Cameron" whose job happens to be "Prime Minister".

As has been mentioned, certain professions do retain their titles even after they leave the job, eg "Doctor", "Professor".

High Court judges in the UK become "Lord" (or "Lady") such-and-such, and that title is for life. When they actually sit in court, they are referred to as "Lord Justice such-and-such", and I've never heard that title used for a retired judge.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote