Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 01-29-2012, 03:02 AM   #136
cherrIChaos
cherrIChaos began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Touch
Similar to the above problem - stuck on boot from jailbreak

Hi all,

I've only just started using my Kindle touch and was looking up how to jailbreak the ads on the kindle.

I tried downloading the following:
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...8&postcount=41

and placed both files (data.tar.gz and runme.sh) onto the root folder of my kindle. When I restarted however, the kindle became stuck on boot. Restarting it didn't work (it'd flicker but go back to the boot - the person reading under the tree) and stay that way. *note - I've tried holding the reboot button for up to a minute.

I connected my kindle back to my computer to see what happened - there were some files on there - 'runme DONE' and 'runme ERROR' as well as the original I believe. I tried deleting all of these to see if my kindle would work... (which failed).

I'm not really sure what else to do as I'm not great at coding. If anyone could help it would be really really greatly appreciated!

*edit - if someone has the original files/codes that the kindle touch came with, I wouldn't mind just doing a manual 'return to factory' settings type thing (since as I said, I've only just started using it and there's maybe only one book on there).

Last edited by cherrIChaos; 01-29-2012 at 03:17 AM.
cherrIChaos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2012, 06:30 AM   #137
ernalve
ernalve began at the beginning.

Device: kindle 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by geekmaster View Post
Which data.tar.gz did you use? There are different people posting different versions in different threads, of differing amounts of safety and reliability. We need to analyze the exact one that you used.

What do you mean by "latest"? Did you download it from the wiki, or from a thread?

Please provide a link to the one you used. A *lot* of people seem to be bricking their kindles with data.tar.gz lately. We need to get this under control.
I used this file: https://www.mobileread.com/forums/att...4&d=1326777193

The kindle tried to boot all night (I imagine) and so it run off battery. When I connect via usb, the kindle tree image shows up and windows keeps making the sound as if a usb device had been plugged but nothing shows up. The kindle tree image turns on and off while the orange light at the bottom of the device is always on while plugged via usb.

I unplugged it and tried to restart the kindle by holding the on/off button, but when 4-5 seconds pass the green light blinks and nothing happens.

That's all that I notice right now, I've thought at connecting the kindle to a different computer to see if something different ocurres...

Thanks again
ernalve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2012, 06:48 AM   #138
ernalve

more details:

1 - I had previously tried to install Yifan Lu's mp3 jailbreak.

I don't know if that worked: at first, I saw an image saying that the kindle was being freed, but then when I restarted I didn't see the update screen...

2 - My kindle touch is the one with special offers

Last edited by ernalve; 01-29-2012 at 07:13 AM. Reason: adding more info
Old 01-29-2012, 10:43 AM   #139
geekmaster
Carpe diem, c'est la vie.
geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K1 to PW3
The mp3 jailbreak does not use the kindle update restart, and does not display the update screen. It makes no changes to the main boot partition except adding an update key. This key allows the "update your kindle" menu item to be enabled in the settings menu when an update package for your kindle model and using that key is on your kindle USB drive. That is all the mp3 jailbreak does, unless you have a runme.sh script file on your USB drive, which it will run if it exists. Did you happen to have a runme.sh on your kindle USB drive?

In your case, the mp3 jailbreak displayed the "freed" image, which means that it successfully installed the new update key. The only other way to know it worked besides the "freed" display is that it enables the "Update your kindle" menu item it an update package is on your kindle USB Drive.

The ixtab jailbreaks that you tried use the data.tar.gz method, and they also install this update key.

The update*.bin installers that you can install after doing a jailbreak can make changes to the main boot partition root, but they should be well tested and safe for your kindle.

If you install any packages that use the data.tar.gz installation method, their safety and reliability depends entirely on where you got them. I examined the packages at both links that you provided above. They look safe to me.

Are you sure you did not previously install something else that may be causing this problem? Did you have a runme.sh on your kindle USB drive when you ran the mp3 jailbreak? If so, what did it do?

Last edited by geekmaster; 01-29-2012 at 11:27 AM.
geekmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2012, 11:25 AM   #140
ernalve

Hi, Geekmaster

thanks for your attention and clear explanations.

I am sure that I didn't copy to the kindle anything else apart from:

- the jailbreak mp3 > After using it, the kindle still worked oik

- the data.tar.gz

- and the data.tar.gz decompressed

It was after installing this files that the kindle stop working. I didn't copy any runme.sh
Old 01-29-2012, 11:34 AM   #141
geekmaster
geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ernalve View Post
Hi, Geekmaster

thanks for your attention and clear explanations.

I am sure that I didn't copy to the kindle anything else apart from:

- the jailbreak mp3 > After using it, the kindle still worked oik

- the data.tar.gz

- and the data.tar.gz decompressed

It was after installing this files that the kindle stop working. I didn't copy any runme.sh
ixtab's jailbreak decompresses data.tar.gz to /var/local, which is very small, and which can fill up with database and log files. People have had problems with k4nt's locking up after loading too many books onto their kindle, when document indexing increases the index database until /var/local becomes full, which bricks the kindle. Perhaps the touch has a similar problem (just speculating possibilities here) and /var/local was too full for ixtab's jailbreak to complete, so it just keeps relaunching on boot up.

Is your USB drive visible (even for a short time) during startup? If so, another data.tar.gz can be put on it to fix a full /var/local problem, or at least to analyze what the problem is.

See if the USB drive shows up for a few seconds during the boot cycle. You might need to use linux to test this. With ubuntu linux you can check for /media/Kindle, and if found then copy a new (repair version) data.tar.gz to /media/Kindle, like this:

while true;do ls /media/Kindle 2>/dev/null && cp data.tar.gz /media/Kindle && break;sleep 1;done

Last edited by geekmaster; 01-29-2012 at 12:27 PM.
Old 01-29-2012, 11:51 AM   #142
cherrIChaos
cherrIChaos began at the beginning.

Quote:
ixtab's jailbreak decompresses data.tar.gz to /var/local, which is very small, and which can fill up with database and log files. People have had problems with k4nt's locking up after loading too many books onto their kindle, when document indexing increases the index database until /var/local becomes full, which bricks the kindle. Perhaps the touch has a similar problem (just speculating possibilities here) and /var/local was too full for ixtab's jailbreak to complete, so it just keeps relaunching on boot up.

Is your USB drive visible (even for a short time) during startup? If so, another data.tar.gz can be put on it to fix a full /var/local problem, or at least to analyze what the problem is.

See if the USB drive shows up for a few seconds during the boot cycle. You might need to used linux to test this. With ubuntu linux you can check for /media/Kindle, and if found then copy a new (repair version) data.tar.gz to /media/Kindle, like this:

while true;do ls /media/Kindle 2>/dev/null && cp data.tar.gz /media/Kindle && break;done

Copying a new file and restarting worked!!! thanks all.
cherrIChaos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2012, 11:56 AM   #143
geekmaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by cherrIChaos View Post
Copying a new file and restarting worked!!! thanks all.
You are welcome.
Old 01-29-2012, 12:13 PM   #144
ernalve

Quote:

See if the USB drive shows up for a few seconds during the boot cycle. You might need to used linux to test this. With ubuntu linux you can check for /media/Kindle, and if found then copy a new (repair version) data.tar.gz to /media/Kindle, like this:

while true;do ls /media/Kindle 2>/dev/null && cp data.tar.gz /media/Kindle && break;done

You may be right in your speculations. In fact the kindle was loaded with many books at the moment of jailbreaking.

Right now in a windows 7 laptop, the kindle shows up for some seconds but windows won't recognise it as a kindle nor open it.

I'll be at home tomorrow with a laptop that runs ubuntu, so I'll check if I can open the kindle as you say.

One question: the solution that you post and that was succesfull to cherrIChaos, is it a code that I have to write in a terminal?

Old 01-29-2012, 12:19 PM   #145
geekmaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by ernalve View Post
You may be right in your speculations. In fact the kindle was loaded with many books at the moment of jailbreaking.

Right now in a windows 7 laptop, the kindle shows up for some seconds but windows won't recognise it as a kindle nor open it.

I'll be at home tomorrow with a laptop that runs ubuntu, so I'll check if I can open the kindle as you say.

One question: the solution that you post and that was succesfull to cherrIChaos, is it a code that I have to write in a terminal?

dasmoover posted a fix to move the collections database from /var/local to /mnt/us, and replace it with a symlink in /var/local, which frees up a lot of space. Perhaps you need to do that using the data.tar.gz method.

The command that I showed is a linux command written in a terminal window, and it relies on the kindle auto-mounting at /media/Kindle. Perhaps you can boot your windows host PC with an ubuntu LiveCD distro, and run it from the CD or DVD. Read more here:

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/LiveCD
Old 01-29-2012, 12:20 PM   #146
JustAMan
Groupie
JustAMan doesn't litterJustAMan doesn't litter

Yes. It's shell script

BTW KTouch has /var/local set to 30 MB or so, just like K4NT. So this might be the same problem.

What in the hell did Amazon guys think when they created separate 30 MB partition for this stuff?.. Or why they put cc.db in there if they need this separate partition?..
JustAMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2012, 12:23 PM   #147
geekmaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustAMan View Post
Yes. It's shell script

BTW KTouch has /var/local set to 30 MB or so, just like K4NT. So this might be the same problem.

What in the hell did Amazon guys think when they created separate 30 MB partition for this stuff?.. Or why they put cc.db in there if they need this separate partition?..
The kindle 3 keeps the collections database on /mnt/us (where it belongs, IMHO).

Perhaps the jailbreaks for KTouch and K4NT should move it from /var/local to /mnt/us using dasmoover's method, as a safety precaution, to prevent bricking your kindle from too many books.

UPDATE: I updated the command above to include a sleep call that I left out, which puts less of a burden on the ubuntu box. In other posts where I showed this solution, I had the sleep call, but forgot it this time (as can be seen in the quotes of my message). It works without the sleep, but it behaves "nicer" with it. If this does not work for you, take out the "sleep 1;" and try it again. Here is the updated command:

while true;do ls /media/Kindle 2>/dev/null && cp data.tar.gz /media/Kindle && break;sleep 1;done

P.S.We are quite lucky that the kindle exports the USB Drive for a short time while booting up, so that we can use this to solve problems like this.

Last edited by geekmaster; 01-29-2012 at 12:35 PM.
Old 01-30-2012, 05:21 PM   #148
ernalve

Hi again people,

My kindle is still bricked, but hoping!

I've connected it to my ubuntu laptop but it isn't showing at /media/kindle...

Is there anyway that I can't help it show up?

While connecting it through usb in windows, it showed up as an empty usb drive...

thanks again,

ernesto
Old 01-30-2012, 08:58 PM   #149
geekmaster

I have a modified a copy of the u-boot boot loader, and I have it loaded and running (in RAM) on my bricked k4nt, thanks to yinfalu. So far, I patched only the boot message identifying the u-boot version (replacing "Yifan Lu patch" with "geekmaster mod") and the boot message from the serial port changed accordingly, proving that we are running "custom" boot loader code.

It even gets farther into the boot process, saying that it tested RAM successfully (which does not happen "normally" on this bricked kindle).

Now I have to modify the boot loader to force the board ID so it can initialize it and continue booting.

Once I get farther along in the boot process, I should be able to use idme to rewrite the board ID and serial number (I hope).

Anyway, do not discard your "hopelessly" bricked devices. This recover method is making rapid progress (thanks to the hard work of Yifan Lu). This is a k4nt, but it should work on the Touch as well. Thanks!

Here is the output captured from the serial port when I upload the patched u-boot using the Freescale MfgTool:

Normal (ROM) boot:
Spoiler:
Code:
U-Boot 2009.08-lab126 (Sep 02 2011 - 22:45:17)

CPU:   Freescale i.MX50 family 1.1V at 800 MHz
mx50 pll1: 800MHz
mx50 pll2: 400MHz
mx50 pll3: 216MHz
ipg clock     : 50000000Hz
ipg per clock : 50000000Hz
uart clock    : 24000000Hz
ahb clock     : 100000000Hz
axi_a clock   : 400000000Hz
axi_b clock   : 200000000Hz
weim_clock    : 100000000Hz
ddr clock     : 800000000Hz
esdhc1 clock  : 80000000Hz
esdhc2 clock  : 80000000Hz
esdhc3 clock  : 80000000Hz
esdhc4 clock  : 80000000Hz
MMC:  FSL_ESDHC: 0, FSL_ESDHC: 1
Board: Unknown
Boot Reason: [POR]
Boot Device: MMC
Board Id: 1
S/N: 1
Invalid board id!  Can't determine system type for RAM init.. bailing!
DRAM:   0 kB
Using default environment

yinfalu's patch:
Spoiler:
Code:
U-Boot Yifan Lu patch (Sep 02 2011 - 22:45:17)

ddr clock     : 266666666Hz

In:    serial
Out:   logbuff
Err:   logbuff
Quick Memory Test 0x70000000, 0x0
POST done in 4 ms

geekmaster's patch:
Spoiler:
Code:
U-Boot Geekmaster mod (Sep 02 2011 - 22:45:17)

POST done in 4 ms

Last edited by geekmaster; 01-30-2012 at 10:02 PM.
Old 01-30-2012, 10:52 PM   #150
yifanlu
Kindle Dissector
yifanlu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yifanlu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yifanlu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yifanlu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yifanlu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yifanlu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yifanlu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yifanlu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yifanlu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yifanlu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yifanlu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Amazon Kindle 3
Quote:
I have a modified a copy of the u-boot boot loader, and I have it loaded and running (in RAM) on my bricked k4nt, thanks to yinfalu. So far, I patched only the boot message identifying the u-boot version (replacing "Yifan Lu patch" with "geekmaster mod") and the boot message from the serial port changed accordingly, proving that we are running "custom" boot loader code.

It even gets farther into the boot process, saying that it tested RAM successfully (which does not happen "normally" on this bricked kindle).

Now I have to modify the boot loader to force the board ID so it can initialize it and continue booting.

Once I get farther along in the boot process, I should be able to use idme to rewrite the board ID and serial number (I hope).

Anyway, do not discard your "hopelessly" bricked devices. This recover method is making rapid progress (thanks to the hard work of Yifan Lu). This is a k4nt, but it should work on the Touch as well. Thanks!

Here is the output captured from the serial port when I upload the patched u-boot using the Freescale MfgTool:

Normal (ROM) boot:
Spoiler:
Code:
U-Boot 2009.08-lab126 (Sep 02 2011 - 22:45:17)

ddr clock     : 800000000Hz

yinfalu's patch:
Spoiler:
Code:
U-Boot Yifan Lu patch (Sep 02 2011 - 22:45:17)

POST done in 4 ms

geekmaster's patch:
Spoiler:
Code:
U-Boot Geekmaster mod (Sep 02 2011 - 22:45:17)

POST done in 4 ms
Umm, that "patch" is literally hex editing the version string. I never announce something until I am certain of the project. If someone are into the development process, they can join the IRC. It's never good to give false hope if this doesn't go anywhere. I mean I want to help you unbrick your Kindle because I'm interested in seeing how it would work, but it's not a certainty. If this process works out, I'll write a very in-depth post detailing everything from the commands to the data structures to the memory layout of the device, but now we have people expecting something which puts pressure on me.
yifanlu is offline   Reply With Quote