Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Library Management

Notices

Old 04-12-2011, 03:58 AM   #1
Noughty
Addict
Noughty is cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night.Noughty is cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night.Noughty is cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night.Noughty is cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night.Noughty is cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night.Noughty is cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night.Noughty is cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night.Noughty is cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night.Noughty is cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night.Noughty is cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night.Noughty is cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night.

Device: Kindle NT
Font size in metadata - comments

Hello,

I have been trying to find a function to increase the size of books descriptions but no luck so far. I only found the function to increase the size of interface font.

Is there no way to increase the size of comments? I have summaries in there and it is impossible to read it is so tiny. Doesn't even seem to be any point in having a summary if it is so tiny. It is strange that you can use many functions for font except the main one- size.

I really hope there is a way to increase the font of all books summaries and not one by one too.

Any help appreciated
Noughty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2011, 04:24 AM   #2
Manichean
Wizard
Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.

Device: Cybook Gen3
In the edit metadata dialog, select the whole comment text and press the "remove formatting"- button (the one with the three green arrows in it). If you don't want to lose all your formatting, click on the tab that shows you the HTML source and remove the font-size formattings manually.
Manichean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2011, 04:51 AM   #3
Noughty
Addict
Noughty is cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night.Noughty is cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night.Noughty is cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night.Noughty is cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night.Noughty is cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night.Noughty is cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night.Noughty is cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night.Noughty is cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night.Noughty is cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night.Noughty is cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night.Noughty is cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night.

Thanks for the answer.
What doesn't change anything. I want to increase the font size. All books have the same font size for their summaries, so I don't think there is some formating in them. I want to add formating not remove it. I think the default text size is wrong, at least if you actually want to read summaries on calibre and not go blind
Old 04-12-2011, 04:56 AM   #4
Manichean
Wizard
Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.

Then add font-size statements to the HTML source of the comments. Or try increasing the interface font- the summaries, at least on my installation, seem to have the same font size.
Old 04-12-2011, 05:29 AM   #5
Noughty
Addict

Thanks for the help.
So I guess it works only one book at a time ?
I tried it and it works, but doing one entry at the time probably isn't efficient enough and won't help much. Only then I really want to have one book with nice summary.

Maybe someone knows a way to make all of them the same size? Not using interface font increase

I don't really want to increase interface, it looks fine as it is now. My computer is small an if I increase the interface, nothing will fit in the window anymore.
Old 04-12-2011, 05:45 AM   #6
kiwidude
Calibre Plugins Developer
kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis
By any chance is your issue a bit like in this attached screenshot?

The font in the book details pane is not the same size as the main UI font in the library view. The same applies in the edit metadata dialog, the comments are smaller than the other text. There is no HTML formatting involved here (see how the words "Formats" etc are also smaller. This is on a Win 7 machine.

I haven't posted about this previously because I wasn't sure about something. I "thought" that my RHS details used to be displayed larger. However when I wrote the Generate Cover plugin I had to do some experimentation with the main UI font. Ever since I did that (and I thought I restored it to it's default) it seemed that the comments have displayed smaller. However as it could have been due to other reasons like a Calibre update I didn't take any notice.

Is what you see on the screenshot what you expect? My main UI font is set to "MS Shell Dlg 2 [8pt]". Personally I actually like having the smaller comments as it means I can read more of them, but I can understand why others may find them too small to read.

Or is your issue completely different?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Smallfonts.png
Views:	506
Size:	206.6 KB
ID:	69821  
kiwidude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2011, 06:16 AM   #7
Noughty
Addict

I like the default interface size. The comments look like in your screenshot.
I didn't have an issue with them either. But since I am a new user never tried to search for a book to read through calibre, reading summaries. After reading a couple, I really don't want to read anymore

I increased the UI font by one and the comments increased too. But I like UI with it's default setting, it fits more
Old 04-12-2011, 06:22 AM   #8
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired
DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Icarus Illumina XL HD, Nexus 7
Update: My post is obsolete even before I posted it. Nevermind.

Typically when someone says they are too small to read it is because there is formatting making them too small. Did you try to remove the formatting of one to see if it made a difference? If you got the books from the same source the formatting could easily be the problem.

Kiwidude'd example shows a font that seems slightly smaller then the interface. This is typical and I don't think this is what you're experiencing.

If it isn't a format problem go to Preferences - Look and Feel and change your interface font to something bigger. I have mine set to Ariel (11pt) because my eyes are older then most on this board.
DoctorOhh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2011, 06:30 AM   #9
Noughty
Addict

The comments have no formatting. UI font increase works on comments font, but as I said, UI default is ok and I don't want to increase it. Of course if there is no other option, I will have to choose which is more important
Old 04-12-2011, 06:38 AM   #10
Manichean
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noughty View Post
The comments have no formatting. UI font increase works on comments font, but as I said, UI default is ok and I don't want to increase it. Of course if there is no other option, I will have to choose which is more important
Like I said, slap font-size tags around the comments. You can do that for all books at once using the bulk metadata edit search & replace function.
Old 04-12-2011, 06:42 AM   #11
Noughty
Addict

I am quite new at using these functions. What should I put in search and that in replace?
Old 04-12-2011, 06:52 AM   #12
Manichean
Wizard

Try searching for
Code:
(.*)
and replacing with
Code:
<font size="X">\1</font>
where X = [1,7]. Be aware that you'll need to be in regular expression search mode for this.
Old 04-12-2011, 06:55 AM   #13
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired
DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Icarus Illumina XL HD, Nexus 7
Quote:
I am quite new at using these functions. What should I put in search and that in replace?
No guarantees.

It depends most everything will be in <p> tags so the following should work.

regular expression search mode
Search field comments
search for <p.*?>
replace <p style="font-size : 1.1em;">

Should give you the results you want, try it on a small batch first.

Last edited by DoctorOhh; 04-12-2011 at 07:05 AM.
DoctorOhh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2011, 07:16 AM   #14
Noughty
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manichean View Post
Try searching for
Code:
(.*)
and replacing with
Code:
<font size="X">\1</font>
where X = [1,7]. Be aware that you'll need to be in regular expression search mode for this.
Thanks seems to be working, now just to decide the size
Old 04-12-2011, 08:38 PM   #15
Piper_
~~~~~
Piper_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Piper_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Piper_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Piper_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Piper_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Piper_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Piper_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Piper_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Piper_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Piper_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Piper_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Sony 350
Quote:
Thanks seems to be working, now just to decide the size
Yes, thanks, guys! I dug through source files looking for a way to increase that section's interface font, but found nothing. Yesterday, I gave up and started editing the comments a book at a time. Very tedious.

Noughty, I haven't transferred any of them to a device yet, so I don't know what size will be best for both, either. The default is fine as it appears in the jacket, so I hope it's not too overbearing if we increase it.

This might be something we could add to the wish list - the ability to just increase the interface font in that description window.
Piper_ is offline   Reply With Quote