Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 04-09-2010, 08:38 AM   #1
GeoffC
Chocolate Grasshopper ...
GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Muse HD , Cybook Gen3 , Pocketbook 302 (Black) , Nexus 10: wife has PW
Colour e-readers with video

Link from BBC Web-site

A colour e-reader that supports video and potentially web browsing has been shown off by Dutch researchers.

The prototype uses screen technology - based on century-old science - that its makers say is up to four times more energy efficient than LCD screens.

Once established in the e-reader market, Dutch firm Liquavista hope to see its displays integrated into other devices in the future.

But analysts question whether consumers will be enticed by the greener gadgets.

Liquavista said it expects the first e-readers using the "electrowetting" technology to be available by the middle of 2011 and the technology to then become more widespread.
GeoffC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2010, 08:42 AM   #2
Worldwalker
Curmudgeon
Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505
I don't want a TV and a Web browser. I have my netbook for that.

I just want a book.
Worldwalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-09-2010, 09:08 AM   #3
Godzil
a pthread?? where? where?
Godzil can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Godzil can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Godzil can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Godzil can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Godzil can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Godzil can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Godzil can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Godzil can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Godzil can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Godzil can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Godzil can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.

Device: Newton MessagePad 2100, and only this
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffC View Post
Liquavista said it expects the first e-readers using the "electrowetting" technology to be available by the middle of 2011 and the technology to then become more widespread. [/COLOR][/I]
I don't expect LiquaVista screen in mass market product until the end of 2011, and maybe later, the first device that will use their screen will be really expensive..
Godzil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2010, 09:20 AM   #4
Magnesus
Connoisseur
Magnesus is on a distinguished road

Device: Bebook Neo
Maybe Mirasol will be sooner? End of the year some say.
Magnesus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2010, 11:38 AM   #5
LDBoblo
Wizard
LDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcover

Device: Kindle 3 WiFi, Sony PRS-505
Quote:
Originally Posted by Worldwalker View Post
I don't want a TV and a Web browser. I have my netbook for that.

I just want a book.
So an ebook reader with a superior screen can't function as a book?
LDBoblo is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-09-2010, 11:48 AM   #6
DawnFalcon
Banned
DawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with others

Device: N/A
By the time you've bought an extremely expensive ereader, you might as well of got a long-battery life netbook and a couple of batteries for a fraction of the price. And it'll do far more.
DawnFalcon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2010, 11:55 AM   #7
LDBoblo
Wizard
LDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcover

Quote:
Originally Posted by DawnFalcon View Post
By the time you've bought an extremely expensive ereader, you might as well of got a long-battery life netbook and a couple of batteries for a fraction of the price. And it'll do far more.
We don't really have any idea how much of a gouging the first generation of these screens will be

Netbooks aren't tablets though. When more convincing convertibles are available though, sure.
Old 04-09-2010, 12:18 PM   #8
Godzil
a pthread?? where? where?
Godzil can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Godzil can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Godzil can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Godzil can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Godzil can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Godzil can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Godzil can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Godzil can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Godzil can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Godzil can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Godzil can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.

Device: Newton MessagePad 2100, and only this
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magnesus View Post
Maybe Mirasol will be sooner? End of the year some say.
End of the year is the possible disponibility of the screen, not devices.
Godzil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2010, 01:16 PM   #9
Worldwalker
Curmudgeon
Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505
Quote:
Originally Posted by LDBoblo View Post
So an ebook reader with a superior screen can't function as a book?
A lot of things can function as a book. A stadium-sized Jumbotron can function as a book, if you really want to go all the way (y'know, that would be cool for a "one city, one book" reading event).

I have a strong preference for devices that are designed to do one thing, and do it in the best way possible for that function. I want an ebook reader to replace printed books. Having a Web browser, a full-motion video display, or a Swiss Army knife built into it will not improve its ability to replace printed books. My paper books don't move, nor browse the Web. Adding those capabilities is going away from the design goal: replace printed books. And in order to do so, they will impose their own costs: battery life, purchase price, reliability, tradeoffs of sharpness for more colors, etc. I do not think that adding features that do not serve the purpose of replacing printed books would be worth the costs I mentioned.

You can supply some of the features all users want, or all of the features some users want, but you can't supply all of the features all users want in any non-trivial device.
Worldwalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2010, 01:18 PM   #10
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Surely all book readers already support video? If they didn't have a video display, you couldn't read them. Is this referring specifically to "moving pictures"?
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2010, 02:57 PM   #11
LDBoblo
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Worldwalker View Post
A lot of things can function as a book. A stadium-sized Jumbotron can function as a book, if you really want to go all the way (y'know, that would be cool for a "one city, one book" reading event).

I have a strong preference for devices that are designed to do one thing, and do it in the best way possible for that function. I want an ebook reader to replace printed books. Having a Web browser, a full-motion video display, or a Swiss Army knife built into it will not improve its ability to replace printed books. My paper books don't move, nor browse the Web. Adding those capabilities is going away from the design goal: replace printed books. And in order to do so, they will impose their own costs: battery life, purchase price, reliability, tradeoffs of sharpness for more colors, etc. I do not think that adding features that do not serve the purpose of replacing printed books would be worth the costs I mentioned.

You can supply some of the features all users want, or all of the features some users want, but you can't supply all of the features all users want in any non-trivial device.
For books, I want something a hell of a lot faster and better than E-Ink. Rapid refresh capability that is associated with video playback is a must. Color to display diagrams is nice for a lot of reading, but yeah pretty superfluous for general fiction.

If slow, mediocre e-ink is satisfactory to you, then you shouldn't have anything to worry about because there are enough Chinese cookie-cutter readers out there to last a few lifetimes. Unfortunately, there aren't any good ebook readers out there for people like me yet, and fast, possibly color screens will be a nice (if small) step forward in pretty much every conceivable way.

And ebook readers are only given extremely minimal design consideration as replacements for paper books. They're terribly unrefined and are built around crude hardware with even worse software. Their suitability for books seems largely a consequence of being bad at everything.
Old 04-09-2010, 04:27 PM   #12
ardeegee
Maratus speciosus butt
ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-350
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
Surely all book readers already support video? If they didn't have a video display, you couldn't read them. Is this referring specifically to "moving pictures"?
No, the pictures just sit there-- no scrolling around. Is this referring specifically to "lots of photos shown really quickly?"

/me can also be a pedant...
ardeegee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2010, 01:29 AM   #13
Phogg
PHD in Horribleness
Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Just a whole bunch. I guess I am a collector now.
Quote:
Originally Posted by DawnFalcon View Post
These do something permenantly beyond the capability of a netbook.
Phogg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2010, 07:35 AM   #14
DawnFalcon
Banned
DawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with others

Device: N/A
Which is?
DawnFalcon is offline   Reply With Quote