Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > iRex

Notices

Old 07-21-2009, 07:03 AM   #1
SplogSplog
Connoisseur
SplogSplog has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.SplogSplog has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.SplogSplog has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.SplogSplog has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Irex DR1000S
Just bought a DR1000S - awaiting delivery

After lurking here for a few months, I just bought a DR1000S from Libresco - ow I just have to wait for it to arrive (not sure how long that takes).

Making the decision took me a while due to all the known problems (terrible battery life and high price being the main ones), but there seems to be nothing better as far as I can tell.

Anyway, thanks to all the folks on this forum, whose posts over the last few months were very helpful in helping me make up my mind on buying this.
SplogSplog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2009, 07:34 AM   #2
ThR
Tatütatuter
ThR could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.ThR could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.ThR could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.ThR could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.ThR could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.ThR could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.ThR could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.ThR could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.ThR could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.ThR could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.ThR could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.

Device: Aura H2O, Glo HD, Paperwhite, PRS-950
Congratulations! A very good choice. ;-)

And battery life is not as terrible as you can mention, depending on the usage.
ThR is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-22-2009, 10:28 AM   #3
junkyardwillie
Addict
junkyardwillie will become famous soon enoughjunkyardwillie will become famous soon enoughjunkyardwillie will become famous soon enoughjunkyardwillie will become famous soon enoughjunkyardwillie will become famous soon enoughjunkyardwillie will become famous soon enough

Device: Onyx Note Pro, Kobo H20 and iPad
I got mine about 2 weeks ago and have been loving it. I think you'll like it
junkyardwillie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2009, 10:47 AM   #4
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
I am personally not even the least bit anxious about the battery life, let alone terrified by it . If I read for a couple of hours a day (I rarely have the time to read for long, unfortunately) I only recharge about every 3 or 4 days, and that's with the battery still half full.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2009, 11:15 AM   #5
SplogSplog
Connoisseur
SplogSplog has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.SplogSplog has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.SplogSplog has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.SplogSplog has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
I am personally not even the least bit anxious about the battery life, let alone terrified by it . If I read for a couple of hours a day (I rarely have the time to read for long, unfortunately) I only recharge about every 3 or 4 days, and that's with the battery still half full.
I think I have the opposite problem - all the time in the world!

To be honest, I am retired and have plenty of books that I always promised myself I would read when retirement came. Since retiring (about 18 months ago) I have been reading for at least six hours a day.

My shelves are overflowing with printed books, and I have no space for anymore - hence I have been turning to electronic books (PDFs mostly) - which is painful to read for several hours on a computer screen.

So, I imagine I will be reading on the DR1000S for hours and hours everyday - and getting annoyed when the battery light blinks.
Advert
Old 07-22-2009, 12:08 PM   #6
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

If you're reading Mobi books, you should get 10h or so out of a battery charge at least, so I'd imagine you'd be good for a day's reading.
Old 07-22-2009, 02:06 PM   #7
Danny Fekete
Electronic Education Buff
Danny Fekete knows the complete value of PI to the endDanny Fekete knows the complete value of PI to the endDanny Fekete knows the complete value of PI to the endDanny Fekete knows the complete value of PI to the endDanny Fekete knows the complete value of PI to the endDanny Fekete knows the complete value of PI to the endDanny Fekete knows the complete value of PI to the endDanny Fekete knows the complete value of PI to the endDanny Fekete knows the complete value of PI to the endDanny Fekete knows the complete value of PI to the endDanny Fekete knows the complete value of PI to the end

Device: Bookeen Cybook Gen3, iRex DR1000s, Sony Reader PRS 650
Quote:
Originally Posted by SplogSplog View Post
So, I imagine I will be reading on the DR1000S for hours and hours everyday - and getting annoyed when the battery light blinks.
If you're not averse to a constant light, one of the advantages of the DR1000S seems to be that it is fully operable while plugged in and charging. Unless you're riding a unicycle and/or crossing the Andes while you read, there's a good chance that battery life need never be an issue for you, SplogSplog.

I wish you only happy surprises for your reader. Enjoy it!

Edit: You're in Prague. Why would you even be crossing the Andes? That doesn't make any sense. Don't be silly.

Last edited by Danny Fekete; 07-22-2009 at 08:16 PM.
Danny Fekete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2009, 04:13 PM   #8
Shaggy
Wizard
Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iRex iLiad, DR800SG
Quote:
Originally Posted by Danny Fekete View Post
If you're not averse to a constant light, one of the advantages of the DR1000S seems to be that it is fully operable while plugged in and charging.
It's also better for the battery that way.
Shaggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2009, 04:02 AM   #9
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

Is it good for the battery to be permanently connected to the mains? I have a laptop which is a couple of years old, and which has been permanently run on mains power. The battery's been absolutely destroyed by this - it will now only run for about 15 minutes on battery power, compared to 3h when it was new.
Old 07-23-2009, 07:16 AM   #10
SplogSplog
Connoisseur

Quote:
Is it good for the battery to be permanently connected to the mains? I have a laptop which is a couple of years old, and which has been permanently run on mains power. The battery's been absolutely destroyed by this - it will now only run for about 15 minutes on battery power, compared to 3h when it was new.
Same here. My laptop is 18 months old and I have used it on main power all almost every day. During that time I have used it with battery power maybe only half a dozen times - and having just checked, the "fully recharged" battery lasted only 21 minutes. It would be terrible if something similar happens with the DR1000S.
Old 07-23-2009, 07:19 AM   #11
SplogSplog
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by junkyardwillie View Post
I got mine about 2 weeks ago and have been loving it. I think you'll like it
I see that you now have 3 ebook readers. Is this because you keep "upgrading" or are the other readers being used for specific things for which they are better than is the DR1000S?
Old 07-23-2009, 12:58 PM   #12
Shaggy
Wizard
Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Different types of batteries.

Some batteries don't like to be constantly charged and/or topped off. I don't know, but I would guess that's what happened to your laptop.

The battery in the DR1000 (and iLiad) will actually last longer if you keep it topped off rather than let it fully discharge. A full discharge/charge cycle (on the DR/iLiad) is what reduces the battery life.

Last edited by Shaggy; 07-23-2009 at 01:00 PM.
Old 07-23-2009, 03:41 PM   #13
junkyardwillie
Addict
junkyardwillie will become famous soon enoughjunkyardwillie will become famous soon enoughjunkyardwillie will become famous soon enoughjunkyardwillie will become famous soon enoughjunkyardwillie will become famous soon enoughjunkyardwillie will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by SplogSplog View Post
I see that you now have 3 ebook readers. Is this because you keep "upgrading" or are the other readers being used for specific things for which they are better than is the DR1000S?
Its more of I keep upgrading based on my reading needs. My first device was the Sony PRS (about 2 years ago) which I really liked but I had PDFs that I wanted to read and the Iliad was better at handling PDFs than the PRS 500, I got an Iliad early last year and since I got it my PRS has been collecting dust mainly because I'd rather have all my docs on one device than split the time between two similar sized devices. I actually charged it last month to make sure it still worked, I hadn't used it for about 6 months at that point but nothing was wrong with it. I keep it just in case my Iliad breaks then I'll have something to fall back on but my Iliad has a much better contrast than the PRS500. My PDF collection has been readily increasing over the past few month so I finally took the dive about a month ago to get a DR1000 which has been great.

I can get my work reading done, pdf research and other articles done on the DR1000 and my Iliad works great for all my recreational reading (mainly mobi docs). I tried OCR'ing PDFs but once you have any sort of design or column layout to the PDFs by the time your done reformating the doc you don't even want to read it anymore. I don't see my DR1000 replacing my Iliad as the Iliad replaced my PRS500 because I like reading novels on a smaller device, the DR is amazing for PDFs since they are made for 8.5 x 11 so I don't have to flip the screen and zoom as I did with the Iliad. The screens seem about the same to me, the DR1000 has better contrast than my Iliad but its new so I'm sure it will darken over time. The battery life on both of the devices never really give me any trouble because I'm not away from a computer or outlet long enough for it to be an issue, I just charge it whenever I can so I dont have to think about it.

One thing I really liked was the small bag with the hard cover that my Iliad came with for carrying. I have the portfolio cover (not the flip, the big one that's been discontinued I think) for the DR1000 but its heavier than the device so I don't like holding it with the reader, I'd rather something I could take it in and out of. Its like a tank so I know the screen is protected well but I'd like something that's easier to manage. I just ordered a ZeroShock III case from ebay. I think if I take that and put a piece of hard cardboard in the pouch in the front it might do a good job of protecting the screen. Train reading is the final frontier for my DR1000 and I can't quite get as good of a read either holding it with or trying to take it out of the portfolio case.

Last edited by junkyardwillie; 07-23-2009 at 03:43 PM.
Old 07-23-2009, 04:54 PM   #14
Shaggy
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by junkyardwillie View Post
One thing I really liked was the small bag with the hard cover that my Iliad came with for carrying.
I'd be a little careful with it though. There have been reports of broken screens on iLiads using the shoulder bag that comes with it. The bag is more convenient, but I don't think it provides as much protection as the other covers. Just something to be aware of.
Old 07-23-2009, 05:47 PM   #15
junkyardwillie
Addict

Yea, I used the Iliad bag since I've had it but I'm also very careful about my bag so it doesn't get a lot of bangs or drops if I have electronics in it. I definitely wouldn't recommend it for someone that has a bag with a lot of other heavy stuff in it, my bag usually consists of a cell phone, ipod, netbook (rarely) and my reader so it was pretty safe. However with the larger screen of the DR I realize its more prone to bending if nothing else because its larger so I need to be able to stabilize it better than my Iliad

My sort of master plan with the DR1000 is that I got a 13" zero shock case so it a little larger than the device itself. I'm hoping that I can get a regular resume type of portfolio case (like the standard ones with the little note pad in it) put that in the ZeroShock case so it won't bend and then have my reader in there. That way I get the ability to take the DR in and out of bag, I get the shock absorption protection of the ZeroShock bag and then the protection from bending from the portfolio case. With all of that the damn bag better be able to take a bullet

It amazes me that there aren't any slim hard sleeve cases for tablets or something. Its either bulky plastic or that vinyl or whatever the cloth ones are made of. I want something thats not very bulky but will protect it. The best one that I saw posted on here was the Pelican Hardback but from the picture it looked like it would be too bulky and heavy for me. I'll see how this works out and if not its back to the drawing board.