Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 03-18-2024, 03:03 AM   #1
dexter74
dexter74 began at the beginning.

Device: none
Differences between Paperwhite versions.

I'm going to buy Paperwhite, probably used.
I'm looking for the table with comparison with models, i.e. Paperwhite 5, 7 and so on.
dexter74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2024, 03:30 AM   #2
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer
Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage & Libra 2
I don't think such a table exists, but I could be wrong. Wikipedia has lots of info on different Kindle models; how correct it is, I don't know.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Amazon_Kindle
Sirtel is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-18-2024, 05:34 AM   #3
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by dexter74 View Post
I'm going to buy Paperwhite, probably used.
I'm looking for the table with comparison with models, i.e. Paperwhite 5, 7 and so on.
The PW3 is no longer getting updates. The screen is 6".
The PW4 has a terrible screen Stay away from it. The screen is 6".
The PW5 is the current Paperwhite and the screen is good. It's 6.8" and of the Paperwite models, this is the one to get.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2024, 07:34 AM   #4
paperwhite13
Zealot
paperwhite13 can eat soup with a fork.paperwhite13 can eat soup with a fork.paperwhite13 can eat soup with a fork.paperwhite13 can eat soup with a fork.paperwhite13 can eat soup with a fork.paperwhite13 can eat soup with a fork.paperwhite13 can eat soup with a fork.paperwhite13 can eat soup with a fork.paperwhite13 can eat soup with a fork.paperwhite13 can eat soup with a fork.paperwhite13 can eat soup with a fork.

Device: Kindle PW3 [KOReader]
Here's a good comparison between PW3 and PW5. One thing that the PW3 has going for it, other than being cheaper, is that it's easier to jailbreak out of the box, in case that is factor.
paperwhite13 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2024, 07:43 AM   #5
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by paperwhite13 View Post
Here's a good comparison between PW3 and PW5. One thing that the PW3 has going for it, other than being cheaper, is that it's easier to jailbreak out of the box, in case that is factor.
The PW3 has too small a screen and that cannot be overcome. The PW5 is so much better. And the screen is much nicer too at 6.8".
Advert
Old 03-18-2024, 07:56 AM   #6
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: All 4 Kinds: epub eink, Kindle, android eink, NxtPaper11
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
The PW3 is no longer getting updates. The screen is 6".
The PW4 has a terrible screen Stay away from it. The screen is 6".
The PW5 is the current Paperwhite and the screen is good. It's 6.8" and of the Paperwite models, this is the one to get.
Those are all 300 dpi, which is good.

The two earlier paperwhites are only worth bothering with if about $10/£10/€10 and you are broke, esp PW1, which is about 212 dpi and 2G storage.

The PW4 is inferior to the PW3 (a generation 7 Kindle) or PW5, but only in direct comparison. It's better than Pw1, Pw2, Any Basic, Touch etc. The current Basic is similar to a PW3. Older/Original Basic are only 167 dpi.

The Paperwhite models have two numbering schemes:
1, 2, 3, 4, 5 for first to fifth version of Paperwhite
Amazon calls them Generation 5, 6, 7, 10 & 11

The Voyage and Oasis 1 are both similar to the PW3 and also 6". The PW3 is possibly a cost reduced Voyage (slightly later release) and the Oasis 1 has page turn buttons. The Voyage is supposed to have the best screen*

The Oasis 2 and Oasis 3 are 7" with buttons. The Oasis 2 is similar screen quality to the PW3 but faster. There is a 32G verison and version with 3G as well as WiFi. There is little advantage to the Oasis3 vs Oasis 2.

[* I've not seen a Voyage. I've seen / used /owned PW1, PW3, several older Basic models, DXG, KK3, a Kindle NT (D-pad) and Oasis 2. I won't be ever buying a kindle again. I can buy Amazon ebooks and read them on more open ereaders.]
Quoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2024, 08:08 AM   #7
Waylander
Fanatic
Waylander ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Waylander ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Waylander ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Waylander ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Waylander ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Waylander ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Waylander ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Waylander ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Waylander ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Waylander ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Waylander ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 5 SE, Onyx Boox Poke 3
I would say either go for the PW3 if you can get it as it'll be cheaper, or if money isn't such an issue, definitely go for the PW5. As others here have said, its 6.8inch screen is excellent for reading, although it scratches the easiest of any of the Kindles I've had, so would recommend applying one of those screen protectors immediately. I can confirm that the PW4 is not great, having had one, while Oasis 3 has a fantastic screen but woeful battery life.
Waylander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2024, 08:11 AM   #8
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer
Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I wouldn't call the screen of the Oasis 3 fantastic. Good, yes; fantastic, no. The Voyage had better contrast/sharpness, and the screen of the Kobo Libra 2 is better overall.
Old 03-18-2024, 09:08 AM   #9
DenS
Connoisseur
DenS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DenS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DenS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DenS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DenS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DenS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DenS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DenS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DenS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DenS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DenS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 5 SE
All the comparisons I see say that the Kobo Libra 2 currently has a better screen. I think I'll sell my PW5 SE and buy a Kobo Libra 2.
In any case, Kobo's interface seems to be more user-friendly. I also like the option of managing the series of books that I send by calibre. The only thing I'd miss is Kindle's whispersync.
DenS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2024, 09:52 AM   #10
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by DenS View Post
All the comparisons I see say that the Kobo Libra 2 currently has a better screen. I think I'll sell my PW5 SE and buy a Kobo Libra 2.
In any case, Kobo's interface seems to be more user-friendly. I also like the option of managing the series of books that I send by calibre. The only thing I'd miss is Kindle's whispersync.
The Libra 2 is also noticeably slower than the PW5, but that may not be terribly important to you. I do miss the speed of the Oasis sometimes, but the screen of my Libra is just so beautiful I didn't want to read on the Oasis anymore (my Oasis was a bit too yellowish for my taste).
Old 03-18-2024, 10:37 AM   #11
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Waylander View Post
I would say either go for the PW3 if you can get it as it'll be cheaper, or if money isn't such an issue, definitely go for the PW5. As others here have said, its 6.8inch screen is excellent for reading, although it scratches the easiest of any of the Kindles I've had, so would recommend applying one of those screen protectors immediately. I can confirm that the PW4 is not great, having had one, while Oasis 3 has a fantastic screen but woeful battery life.
I disagree on the PW5 being easier to scratch.
Old 03-18-2024, 10:51 AM   #12
paperwhite13
Zealot
paperwhite13 can eat soup with a fork.paperwhite13 can eat soup with a fork.paperwhite13 can eat soup with a fork.paperwhite13 can eat soup with a fork.paperwhite13 can eat soup with a fork.paperwhite13 can eat soup with a fork.paperwhite13 can eat soup with a fork.paperwhite13 can eat soup with a fork.paperwhite13 can eat soup with a fork.paperwhite13 can eat soup with a fork.paperwhite13 can eat soup with a fork.

Device: Kindle PW3 [KOReader]
Quote:
The PW3 has too small a screen and that cannot be overcome. The PW5 is so much better. And the screen is much nicer too at 6.8".
Too small for what? Given the choice between a cheaper and jailbreakable PW3 and PW5 I'd choose PW3 all over again. For comic books or complex PDFs 6.8 is also too small, and I use a larger tablet.
paperwhite13 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2024, 11:12 AM   #13
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Too small for what?
Too small for everything. I will never buy a 6'' ereader again, unless it's the only one available. Of course tastes differ and many people would even prefer a 5'' ereader.

My preferred size is 7 or 8''. I read ordinary, reflowable novels, not comics or PDF.

Then again, I would not buy any Paperwhite at all, no matter the screen size. No buttons and I don't like the form factor.

Last edited by Sirtel; 03-18-2024 at 11:14 AM.
Old 03-18-2024, 11:24 AM   #14
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Too small for what? Given the choice between a cheaper and jailbreakable PW3 and PW5 I'd choose PW3 all over again. For comic books or complex PDFs 6.8 is also too small, and I use a larger tablet.
Too small for comfortable reading.
Old 03-18-2024, 12:40 PM   #15
j.p.s
Grand Sorcerer
j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: pb360
Quote:
The PW3 has too small a screen and that cannot be overcome.
Quote:
Too small for comfortable reading.
Many people find a 6" screen quite comfortable for reading, some are also happy with 5" screens, or even smaller, depending on circumstances.

Your prolonged stubborn refusal to accept that not everyone shares your preferences and opinions and your frequent posting of misleading, and even false, information make me question your fitness to participate in these forums.
j.p.s is offline   Reply With Quote