Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 03-15-2024, 08:08 PM   #16
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
The least techie way involves having the Quality Check plugin installed. You can use it's epub search to search for 'version=3.0' or 'properties="nav"' in the OPF file. See the attached image for how I set the search. For my Intake library, this reports 37 ePub3 files out of 58 total epubs.

Otherwise, you can open it in Sigil or the calibre e-book editor and take a look at the package version in the .opf file.You can also tell by multiple other tells such as seeing properties="nav" attached to one of the xhtml files.

Code:
<package version="3.0" unique-identifier="BookId" xmlns="http://www.idpf.org/2007/opf">
Code:
<item id="nav.xhtml" href="Text/nav.xhtml" media-type="application/xhtml+xml" properties="nav"/>
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	epub3_search.png
Views:	23
Size:	18.5 KB
ID:	206908  
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2024, 09:00 PM   #17
deleted2
Member Retired
deleted2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.deleted2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.deleted2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.deleted2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.deleted2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.deleted2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.deleted2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.deleted2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.deleted2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.deleted2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.deleted2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: N/A
Quote:
Originally Posted by DNSB View Post

Otherwise, you can open it in Sigil or the calibre e-book editor and take a look at the package version in the .opf file.You can also tell by multiple other tells such as seeing properties="nav" attached to one of the xhtml files.

I tried with the editor in Calibre. I can see the ePub version in the .opf file. Thanks for the tip. Unfortunately, I trashed the faulty ePub I had. But I'll try that Quality plugin to see if I have any ePub 3.

EDIT : Turns out I have many ePub 3. 256! I can see that from the top of the list that many were sent to my Kindle with no problems.

Last edited by deleted2; 03-15-2024 at 09:07 PM.
deleted2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-16-2024, 01:27 AM   #18
odamizu
just an egg
odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, iOS
Quote:
Originally Posted by sayornis View Post
A lot of the time, epubs I upload get rejected because they are epub v3 and the send to kindle feature only accepts epub v2 or lower. Calibre usually converts to epub v2 which is why conversion is an easy fix.
99% of my ebooks are epub3 and Send-to-Kindle works fine with them.
odamizu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2024, 08:30 AM   #19
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quoth View Post
Epub 3 encompasses at least three quite different kinds of ebooks:
1) Ebooks that could be epub2, but have a bit fancier formatting.
2) Interactive multimedia.
3) Flxed layout, basically like a PDF.

This is a huge simplification. #1 can even include epub converted from mobi, azw3/kf8 or epub2. Most of #1 will be accepted by Amazon.

Type #2 is better as an iOS and Android app to have easy distribution.

Amazon will accept actual pdfs on Send to Kindle. On KDP they are for paper. Amazon sells fixed layout stuff in different formats, but I've no idea what you upload to KDP.
Most ePub 3 could be ePub 2. Other than accessibility, there's nothing there to make any difference. The formatting is not fancier. It's just sometimes (IMHO) more convoluted.
JSWolf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2024, 08:39 AM   #20
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
The problem is that if you convert from ePub 3 to ePub 2 using calibre, you get a the epub 3 code left it. So it's very much a mess.

This code is a line from a an ePub > ePub conversion and it's wrong because the ePub was originally ePub 3 and is now ePub 2. So there's a lot more work to clean up the errors after the conversion then before the conversion (in most cases).

Code:
<div epub:type="titlepage" class="calibre2">
JSWolf is online now   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-16-2024, 12:59 PM   #21
EdABG
EdABG began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
Since few months I am not able to send epub files to my kindle. When I try it in the usual way I used to do in the past the proces starts but at the end an error mesagge shows up like the one below.

Starting job: Sending Cora to the following email address x.x_q9XnbR@kindle.com

Sending failed...

Traceback (most recent call last):
File "calibre\gui2\email.py", line 48, in run
File "calibre\gui2\email.py", line 137, in sendmail
File "calibre\utils\smtp.py", line 163, in sendmail
File "calibre\utils\smtp.py", line 143, in sendmail_direct
OSError: Failed to send mail: SMTPRecipientsRefused({'x.x_q9XnbR@kindle.com': (550, b'5.7.1 IP address blacklisted by recipient')})[/B][/B][/B]
EdABG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2024, 01:08 PM   #22
EdABG
EdABG began at the beginning.

It is pretty clear to me that the IP address has been black listed for the Recipient, which is Amazon. Question: Anyone could please tell me the IP rejected? The one in the message, 550, b'5.7.1, doesn't look a standard IP
EdABG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2024, 02:53 PM   #23
j.p.s
Grand Sorcerer
j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: pb360
Quote:
Originally Posted by Claude_C View Post
EDIT : Turns out I have many ePub 3. 256! I can see that from the top of the list that many were sent to my Kindle with no problems.
The epub 3 thing was a red herring.

The reason for the amazon rejection lies in one or more of the errors epubcheck found in the original epub.
j.p.s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2024, 03:36 PM   #24
Frogm4n
Zealot
Frogm4n ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frogm4n ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frogm4n ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frogm4n ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frogm4n ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frogm4n ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frogm4n ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frogm4n ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frogm4n ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frogm4n ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frogm4n ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Scribe
Quote:
Originally Posted by EdABG View Post
It is pretty clear to me that the IP address has been black listed for the Recipient, which is Amazon. Question: Anyone could please tell me the IP rejected? The one in the message, 550, b'5.7.1, doesn't look a standard IP
Are you trying to send directly from your local connection? Most consumer/residential IP ranges are permanently blacklisted to prevent spam. That's why you should send through the SMTP servers of your email provider.
Frogm4n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2024, 04:35 PM   #25
deleted2
Member Retired
deleted2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.deleted2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.deleted2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.deleted2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.deleted2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.deleted2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.deleted2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.deleted2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.deleted2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.deleted2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.deleted2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by EdABG View Post
Have you tried to send multiple ebooks in a short period of time, via Calibre?

That could be a reason for the recipient blocking the IP, thinking it's spam.

Try with another email provider, maybe?

By default, Calibre allows 5 minutes or so between each ebook sent, to avoid the spam issue. Personally, I disabled that setting. So far, so good. I never send more than 2 or 3 ebooks at a time, more often only one.

Last edited by deleted2; 03-16-2024 at 04:39 PM.
Old 03-22-2024, 07:46 PM   #26
meghane_e
Connoisseur
meghane_e began at the beginning.

Quote:
Originally Posted by botsaris View Post
When an epub fails to be delivered, I simply load it in calibre and convert it again in epub. After that delivery always succeeds
I've tried this work-around a number of times. In my case, reconverting to .epub in Calibre hasn't fixed it for me. I haven't checked any errors on my most recent failed attempt. I'll do that shortly.

Since I use Windows, the Send-to-Kindle app just sends me to the website. So I have to use the amazon.com/sendtokindle link for transfers. I drag documents that have been converted in Calibre to EPUB. They usually go through, but when Amazon does fail, I make sure all my plugins are updated and reconvert from my existing EPUB, AZW3 and MOBI files.

None of that has immediately fixed the problem with Amazon, but the EPUB file always opens in Calibre and Adobe reading apps, so it's not a file corruption issue. When I try again days later with no changes to the file, they'll sometimes get processed right away.

Thoughts on resolutions are welcomed, but mostly I'm just sharing my experience.
meghane_e is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2024, 02:20 PM   #27
deleted2
Member Retired

Quote:
Originally Posted by meghane_e View Post
I've tried this work-around a number of times. In my case, reconverting to .epub in Calibre hasn't fixed it for me. I haven't checked any errors on my most recent failed attempt. I'll do that shortly.

Since I use Windows, the Send-to-Kindle app just sends me to the website. So I have to use the amazon.com/sendtokindle link for transfers. I drag documents that have been converted in Calibre to EPUB. They usually go through, but when Amazon does fail, I make sure all my plugins are updated and reconvert from my existing EPUB, AZW3 and MOBI files.

None of that has immediately fixed the problem with Amazon, but the EPUB file always opens in Calibre and Adobe reading apps, so it's not a file corruption issue. When I try again days later with no changes to the file, they'll sometimes get processed right away.

Thoughts on resolutions are welcomed, but mostly I'm just sharing my experience.

I found this blog post, it might help you.

"The solution is to set the encoding type manually for ePubs that don’t contain this information. You can do so with the “Encode HTML in UTF-8” option using the Modify ePub plugin for Calibre."
Old 03-23-2024, 05:24 PM   #28
meghane_e
Connoisseur
meghane_e began at the beginning.

Hi thanks! I'll keep that in mind. Although all the files said they were encoded for UTF-8, your suggestion might catch other conversions happening further behind the scenes.

For my latest adventure in sending epub to Kindle:
Validated my epub file on https://www.epubvalidation.com. It had a bunch of old tags in it that affected other tags. So I manually edited the ePub. It took some work and some research but I did it in a few hours (I'm slow). After getting all the errors resolved, it was finally processed by SendtoKindle.

Before doing all that, I tried reconverting the ePub from the original AZW3. Looks like I'll be digging deeper into options in the Converter tool.
meghane_e is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2024, 06:34 PM   #29
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
Originally Posted by meghane_e View Post
Before doing all that, I tried reconverting the ePub from the original AZW3. Looks like I'll be digging deeper into options in the Converter tool.
You might want to try using the KindleUnpack plugin to extract ePubs from an AZW3. It leaves the ePub as ePub2 or ePub3 depending on what the original was and the styles as pretty much what was in the original ePub used to generate the AZW3 by Amazon.
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2024, 08:24 PM   #30
tomsem
Grand Sorcerer
tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 15PM, Kindle Scribe, iPad mini 6, PocketBook InkPad Color 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by sayornis View Post
A lot of the time, epubs I upload get rejected because they are epub v3 and the send to kindle feature only accepts epub v2 or lower. Calibre usually converts to epub v2 which is why conversion is an easy fix.
Well, this is not true. I send ePub v3 (e.g. as converted by calibre) to send to kindle and they work fine.

But if it is not valid ePub (whether 2 or 3) in the first place, there's a good chance Send to Kindle will not accept them.

In that case, one needs to determine the nature of the invalidity and fix it (and maybe consider not getting ePub from that source in the future). Feeding it to calibre to convert to ePub 2 is not guaranteed to clean up these issues.
tomsem is offline   Reply With Quote