Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 03-06-2024, 02:58 PM   #1
uhi711
uhi711 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Oasis
BSOD when connecting Kindle Oasis to old computer

I recently bought a new Kindle Oasis International version from Amazon.
The device works fine, but when I try to connect it to my old desktop computer, sporting Windows 10 Pro updated to this date, via USB cable, the computer stops working with a BSOD error code FAT_FILE_SYSTEM. I tried everything I knew, but nothing helped.
When I connect the same Kindle to my Dell XPS13 laptop, which is newer than my desktop PC, everything works as expected.
Does anybody know how to correct this behavior on my desktop computer?

Thanks in advance,
Daniel
uhi711 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2024, 03:42 PM   #2
j.p.s
Grand Sorcerer
j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: pb360
Plugging a USB 2 hub into the computer and the Oasis into the hub might work.
j.p.s is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-06-2024, 04:10 PM   #3
uhi711

Quote:
Originally Posted by j.p.s View Post
Plugging a USB 2 hub into the computer and the Oasis into the hub might work.
Awesome!!! It worked like a charm!!! Thank you so much!!!
Old 03-06-2024, 04:32 PM   #4
uhi711

Quote:
Originally Posted by uhi711 View Post
Awesome!!! It worked like a charm!!! Thank you so much!!!
Unfortunately, the joy was premature. It worked only the first time. I tried also other usb hubs I have, but the result is the same, bsod fat_file_system.
I also tried to connect the Kindle using a different account on my computer. It only worked on the first connection and generated the same bsod after that.
Old 03-06-2024, 06:47 PM   #5
j.p.s
Grand Sorcerer
j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: pb360
Quote:
Originally Posted by uhi711 View Post
Unfortunately, the joy was premature. It worked only the first time. I tried also other usb hubs I have, but the result is the same, bsod fat_file_system.
I also tried to connect the Kindle using a different account on my computer. It only worked on the first connection and generated the same bsod after that.
Trying a different port on the desktop and different USB cables might work, but it looks to me like the OS and/or your desktop has gone bad.

If it still works on your dell xps13, I would avoid trying to use it with your old desktop.
j.p.s is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-07-2024, 06:37 AM   #6
tomsem
Grand Sorcerer
tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 15PM, Kindle Scribe, iPad mini 6, PocketBook InkPad Color 3
What do flash drives do generally? do they work?

Might be good to re-install Windows 10, if for no reason than to get a fresh start.

I have been meaning to do that with my 12 year old computer which seems to run much slower than it should (I used to do HD video editing on it without pushing it much); it takes forever to boot up now.
tomsem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2024, 06:53 AM   #7
uhi711

Quote:
Originally Posted by j.p.s View Post
Trying a different port on the desktop and different USB cables might work, but it looks to me like the OS and/or your desktop has gone bad.

If it still works on your dell xps13, I would avoid trying to use it with your old desktop.
I tried a completely different port, on the back of the computer, USB3, with a different USB cable, much longer, and the result was the same. On the first connection, everything worked as expected, but after disconnecting and reconnecting the cable the same BSOD occured.
The computer is old, but otherwise works fine. Maybe not the fastest computer ever, but for regular jobs is good enough, even for not so new games.
This is so strange!
Old 03-07-2024, 07:34 AM   #8
uhi711

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomsem View Post
What do flash drives do generally? do they work?

Might be good to re-install Windows 10, if for no reason than to get a fresh start.

I have been meaning to do that with my 12 year old computer which seems to run much slower than it should (I used to do HD video editing on it without pushing it much); it takes forever to boot up now.
Thank you for your suggestion. I have no problems with other flash drives, they work fine. I have flash drives formatted as FAT32 (like the Kindle) and NTFS and they both work fine.
I am not sure there's a need to reinstall Windows 10 because I checked the system with the DISM and SFC tools and they show everything is OK.
Despite the age of my computer (more than 12 years), it boots fast enough after I replaced the HDD with a Samsung SSD, so this is also not a problem.
I also do HD video editing, but I think that the problem is not the computer, but the video editing software which gets heavier with time, due to the higher resolutions it has to handle.
Old 03-07-2024, 11:06 AM   #9
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: All 4 Kinds: epub eink, Kindle, android eink, NxtPaper11
The age and speed is irrelevant. It's some driver issue, or maybe RAM error.
I've a 22 yo XP laptop (April 2002) that can read a Kindle PW3 fine. XP only re-installed once (June 2002). Used regularly till 2016.

A BSOD is usually a driver in the Kernel or one faulty region of RAM not usually accessed. Ordinary applications won't BSOD.

It's better to track down the issue rather than hoping a fresh install makes it OK. I'd only do a fresh install on a spare disk in case that is no better.

Last edited by Quoth; 03-07-2024 at 11:09 AM.
Quoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2024, 11:16 AM   #10
uhi711

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quoth View Post
The age and speed is irrelevant. It's some driver issue, or maybe RAM error.
I've a 22 yo XP laptop (April 2002) that can read a Kindle PW3 fine. XP only re-installed once (June 2002).
A BSOD is usually a driver in the Kernel or one faulty region of RAM not usually accessed. Ordinary applications won't BSOD.
I agree with you, the problem is identifying the driver that generates a BSOD ONLY when Kindle has connected, and no problem when other flash drives are used. Maybe there's something wrong with the Kindle. I'll try to do a factory reset. After I received it, I immediately updated it with the latest firmware version.
Old 03-07-2024, 12:39 PM   #11
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

External USB storage of any kind shouldn't cause BSOD.
First make sure every kind of Autorun and Autoplay is disabled. No-one ever needs autorun on anything. It's possible some legitimate file is on the Kindle and not on a flash drive that is autorunning or autoplaying. The only more stupid thing is upnp.

If still an issue:
I'd go to device manager, remove/delete any USB devices and let the OS re-install. A reboot may be needed.
Also make sure no AV or storage monitoring is running.
Old 03-07-2024, 12:48 PM   #12
axu2
Connoisseur
axu2 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Scribe
I'd try unplugging and replugging the ram.
axu2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2024, 01:39 PM   #13
uhi711

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quoth View Post
External USB storage of any kind shouldn't cause BSOD.
First make sure every kind of Autorun and Autoplay is disabled. No-one ever needs autorun on anything. It's possible some legitimate file is on the Kindle and not on a flash drive that is autorunning or autoplaying. The only more stupid thing is upnp.

If still an issue:
I'd go to device manager, remove/delete any USB devices and let the OS re-install. A reboot may be needed.
Also make sure no AV or storage monitoring is running.
Thanks, there are no Autoruns on the Kindle, the problem has existed since I unpacked it. I bought it as new from Amazon. Nothing helped, neither deleting USB devices, which forced me to do a hard reset to the computer because the mouse and keyboard stopped working, nor the Kindle's factory reset.

I tried using Microsoft's Driver Verifier, and it showed me that there's a problem with one of the drivers I selected (it didn't show exactly which one, it just generated a BSOD with a message), but I don't know how to use this info to find which one. It's complicated to use the Driver Verifier if it generates a BSOD, you have to do a system restore to a previously saved restore point, after a BSOD. I think I'll let it be as it is and I'll use the laptop for further loading of books.
Old 03-08-2024, 02:13 PM   #14
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.

Yes. I know there would be no actual Autorun files on the Kindle, but PC Autorun and Autoplay can do mad things! No-one anywhere ever should have them enabled.

Try boot in Safe Mode and go to Device manager and delete anything USB that's not the mouse or keyboard. It will automatically re-add on reboot.

It certainly looks like that PC's Window OS is broken. Try running a Linux Mint with Mate desktop Live USB stick and see does the Linux see the Kindle. If so, your PC is fine and it's Windows that's broken.

Driver Verifier shouldn't BSOD.
Old 03-09-2024, 12:53 PM   #15
uhi711

The Driver Verifier can cause crushes, see here explanation, https://learn.microsoft.com/en-us/wi...river-verifier. That's why somebody suggested that making a restore point before running the DV is a good idea, especially if you don't know how to use it, like me.
In Safe Mode, I had no problems connecting and disconnecting the Kindle repeatedly.
So, there's no hardware problem with my computer. Now I'm sure there's only a problem with a driver I can't find.
Thank you for your help.

Tags
bsod, kindle oasis 3