Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 03-04-2024, 05:42 PM   #46
TheSmitty
Addict
TheSmitty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TheSmitty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TheSmitty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TheSmitty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TheSmitty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TheSmitty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TheSmitty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TheSmitty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TheSmitty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TheSmitty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TheSmitty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite SE, Libra 2, Oasis 3, Boox Note Air 3C, iPad Pro 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
That to me is a drawback especially if I want to know if I can fish the chapter before stopping reading.
Agreed, kobo has that and wish kindle did. It is a small problem given that with kinde you can hit the button on the bottom to see a 9 page grid of where you are currently. That is nice and something I wish kobo had...
TheSmitty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2024, 06:26 PM   #47
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheSmitty View Post
Agreed, kobo has that and wish kindle did. It is a small problem given that with kinde you can hit the button on the bottom to see a 9 page grid of where you are currently. That is nice and something I wish kobo had...
Does that grid view now work for non-KFX books?
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-04-2024, 06:32 PM   #48
TheSmitty
Addict
TheSmitty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TheSmitty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TheSmitty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TheSmitty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TheSmitty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TheSmitty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TheSmitty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TheSmitty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TheSmitty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TheSmitty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TheSmitty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DNSB View Post
I was not aware that it didn't. Then again, how do I know if a book is non-KFX? I do have a book, "The Book Thief", that is on my kindle that I obtained from Kobo in which the grid view works.
Old 03-04-2024, 06:53 PM   #49
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I've never seen page flip enabled or working on a MOBI/KF8 ebook. The page flip icon at the bottom of the page is always greyed out on my Paperwhite (10th gen. firmware 5.16.7) when I am reading a MOBI or KF8/azw3 ebook. Since Amazon at one time stated that Page Flip requires Enhanced Typesetting which, AFAIK, Amazon restricts to KFX, this is not exactly a surprise.
Old 03-04-2024, 07:28 PM   #50
shamanNS
Guru
shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW5 [bricked], Kindle PW1
@DNSB Amazon started converting stuff you send via "Send to Kindle" or by email to KFX. And KFX PDOC is what gets delivered on Kindle devices and Kindle apps that meet some pretty arbitrary cutoff version number. Older that X gets azw3 gets instead, newer gets KFX.

And yeah, page flip functionality is still KFX only.
shamanNS is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-04-2024, 07:38 PM   #51
DNSB
Bibliophagist

Quote:
Originally Posted by shamanNS View Post
@DNSB Amazon started converting stuff you send via "Send to Kindle" or by email to KFX. And KFX PDOC is what gets delivered on Kindle devices and Kindle apps that meet some pretty arbitrary cutoff version number. Older that X gets azw3 gets instead, newer gets KFX.
Relevance? Did I mention Send to Kindle in any flavour in my responses to @TheSmitty?

Quote:
And yeah, page flip functionality is still KFX only.
And that and only that is what I was pointing out.
Old 03-04-2024, 07:47 PM   #52
shamanNS
Guru
shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW5 [bricked], Kindle PW1
Quote:
Relevance? Did I mention Send to Kindle in any flavour in my responses to @TheSmitty?

And that and only that is what I was pointing out.
I was responding to to your comment and offered and explanation how @TheSmitty probably got from "book from Kobo" to having page flip on Kindle for that book.

As far as I knew you are primarily a Kobo user so I wasn't sure if you even were aware of KFX for PDOCs being a thing now.

Last edited by shamanNS; 03-04-2024 at 07:49 PM.
shamanNS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2024, 09:58 PM   #53
jackm8
Zealot
jackm8 solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.jackm8 solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.jackm8 solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.jackm8 solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.jackm8 solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.jackm8 solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.jackm8 solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.jackm8 solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.jackm8 solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.jackm8 solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.jackm8 solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheSmitty View Post
I was not aware that it didn't. Then again, how do I know if a book is non-KFX? I do have a book, "The Book Thief", that is on my kindle that I obtained from Kobo in which the grid view works.
Connect your Kindle to your computer and browse to it's 'Documents' folder. It should be there. It probably is kfx. If it originated on Kobo, then it was in epub format, and Kindle doesn't really support epub format. When you send it to Kindle, it just converts epub into kfx.
jackm8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2024, 10:03 PM   #54
DNSB
Bibliophagist

Quote:
I was responding to to your comment and offered and explanation how @TheSmitty probably got from "book from Kobo" to having page flip on Kindle for that book.

As far as I knew you are primarily a Kobo user so I wasn't sure if you even were aware of KFX for PDOCs being a thing now.
I am aware of quite a bit about Kindle formats and the oddities of Send to Kindle. One of my sidelines for a few years now has been helping some authors with being able to publish their books on KDP without running into problems since there is nothing quite like having your book pulled due to multiple errors to ruin your day. Well, perhaps having Amazon screw up your pre-orders just prior to release day...

That sideline is why I own a Paperwhite to allow me to test on an Amazon eInk reader as well as several apps. When you own the massive majority of the ebook market that Amazon does, studying the elephant is pretty much a necessity.
Old 03-05-2024, 01:33 AM   #55
tomsem
Grand Sorcerer
tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 15PM, Kindle Scribe, iPad mini 6, PocketBook InkPad Color 3
Quote:
No. You only get 1 page preview.

Note that all recently published books employ a KFX container, including the fixed layout formats, and they all support grid/Page Flip. An exception is Print Replica on Scribe.

Anything you Send to Kindle in ePub, Word, or PDF format will be put into KFX container except for PDF on non-Scribe Kindles, which still get PDF.
tomsem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2024, 04:03 AM   #56
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: All 4 Kinds: epub eink, Kindle, android eink, NxtPaper11
Quote:
That sideline is why I own a Paperwhite to allow me to test on an Amazon eInk reader as well as several apps. When you own the massive majority of the ebook market that Amazon does, studying the elephant is pretty much a necessity.
Yes, anyone that's involved in ebook production needs an eink Kindle, even if they do all their reading and proofing on a Kobo.
Quoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2024, 10:36 AM   #57
TheSmitty
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackm8 View Post
Connect your Kindle to your computer and browse to it's 'Documents' folder. It should be there. It probably is kfx. If it originated on Kobo, then it was in epub format, and Kindle doesn't really support epub format. When you send it to Kindle, it just converts epub into kfx.
Yes, you are correct.
Old 03-06-2024, 04:44 AM   #58
BionicGecko
Addict
BionicGecko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BionicGecko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BionicGecko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BionicGecko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BionicGecko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BionicGecko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BionicGecko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BionicGecko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BionicGecko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BionicGecko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BionicGecko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Oasis 3 and Scribe
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quoth View Post
Yes, anyone that's involved in ebook production needs an eink Kindle, even if they do all their reading and proofing on a Kobo.
I’m curious, isn’t the Kindle Previewer PC app sufficient for this? Granted, I haven’t used it much, but the few times I did the rendering was identical to what I would get on my physical Kindle.
BionicGecko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2024, 04:58 AM   #59
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: All 4 Kinds: epub eink, Kindle, android eink, NxtPaper11
Quote:
Originally Posted by BionicGecko View Post
I’m curious, isn’t the Kindle Previewer PC app sufficient for this?
No, and it's less accurate than it used to be. Also not on Linux. I have it on a Win 10 VM and a spare Win 10 laptop, but I'm never going to have Win11.
I have three Kindle models and kindle app on Android (eink & LCD 8 and also 13).
Quoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2024, 06:25 PM   #60
DNSB
Bibliophagist

Quote:
Originally Posted by BionicGecko View Post
I’m curious, isn’t the Kindle Previewer PC app sufficient for this? Granted, I haven’t used it much, but the few times I did the rendering was identical to what I would get on my physical Kindle.
The old Kindle Previewer used to have the capability to display an ebook as if it was being displayed on a specific model of Kindle. That capability is long gone and the only selections are generic (tablet, phone, Kindle E-reader).