Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 03-02-2024, 01:46 PM   #31
lotre
lotre began at the beginning.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by jhowell View Post
[*]Changes related to the handling of page numbers.
Very curious about the changes related to page numbers. Are they only for Amazon books or for send-to-kindle books & side loaded ones as well?
lotre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2024, 04:08 PM   #32
jhowell
Grand Sorcerer
jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles
Quote:
Originally Posted by lotre View Post
Very curious about the changes related to page numbers. Are they only for Amazon books or for send-to-kindle books & side loaded ones as well?
Sorry, I don’t know. My analysis is mostly looking for new text strings that show up in the latest firmware and there are several new strings in the latest release that relate to page numbering.
jhowell is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-02-2024, 05:05 PM   #33
tomsem
Grand Sorcerer
tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 15PM, Kindle Scribe, iPad mini 6, PocketBook InkPad Color 3
Some folks want to see page numbers the reflect the current pagination of the ebook. Perhaps that is going to be a new option.
tomsem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2024, 08:26 PM   #34
jackm8
Zealot
jackm8 solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.jackm8 solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.jackm8 solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.jackm8 solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.jackm8 solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.jackm8 solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.jackm8 solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.jackm8 solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.jackm8 solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.jackm8 solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.jackm8 solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.

I don't think it would be better. That way page numbers would depend on font size setting. As it's now, they're fairly universal across all reflowable books on the device.
jackm8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2024, 10:33 PM   #35
tomsem
Grand Sorcerer
tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackm8 View Post
I don't think it would be better. That way page numbers would depend on font size setting. As it's now, they're fairly universal across all reflowable books on the device.
Yes, of course. I'm not saying it is better, just something some people would like, e.g. they would like to know 'how many page turns to the next chapter?'.

Kindle only has 'nn mins left in chapter', which is a bit too fuzzy to them, even though this doesn't depend on pagination.
Advert
Old 03-03-2024, 05:48 AM   #36
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomsem View Post
Yes, of course. I'm not saying it is better, just something some people would like, e.g. they would like to know 'how many page turns to the next chapter?'.

Kindle only has 'nn mins left in chapter', which is a bit too fuzzy to them, even though this doesn't depend on pagination.
And the problem with time left is it varies depending on how fast you read. And even then we don't always read at the same speed. Sometimes I do read faster then others.
JSWolf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2024, 11:31 AM   #37
tomsem
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
And the problem with time left is it varies depending on how fast you read. And even then we don't always read at the same speed. Sometimes I do read faster then others.
I think it tries to adjust to reading speed for the particular book in question.

Of the choices there are for indicating progress, it's the one I prefer most of the time. I'm not that concerned about how accurate it is; it gives good idea of how long a chapter is.
Old 03-03-2024, 06:07 PM   #38
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
I think it tries to adjust to reading speed for the particular book in question.

Of the choices there are for indicating progress, it's the one I prefer most of the time. I'm not that concerned about how accurate it is; it gives good idea of how long a chapter is.
My personal preference is pages in book/pages in chapter. Reading times on a Kindle, Kobo, Tolino or Pocketbook ereader does not seem to like my reading speed. As an example, when I get to the 45% point in a book after 40 minutes of reading and I am told it's going to take 2.6 hours to finish the book and 11 minutes to finish the chapter, you get rather dubious about the usefulness of the times shown.
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2024, 06:21 PM   #39
jackm8
Zealot
jackm8 solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.jackm8 solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.jackm8 solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.jackm8 solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.jackm8 solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.jackm8 solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.jackm8 solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.jackm8 solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.jackm8 solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.jackm8 solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.jackm8 solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DNSB View Post
My personal preference is pages in book/pages in chapter. Reading times on a Kindle, Kobo, Tolino or Pocketbook ereader does not seem to like my reading speed. As an example, when I get to the 45% point in a book after 40 minutes of reading and I am told it's going to take 2.6 hours to finish the book and 11 minutes to finish the chapter, you get rather dubious about the usefulness of the times shown.
Maybe the book has blank pages fluff for the last 30%, and your reader detected that? Problem with e-books is that they're not limited by the cost of papers, so they often fling whole essays at the end of the novel, ruining our percentages and read estimations.
jackm8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2024, 07:41 PM   #40
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackm8 View Post
Maybe the book has blank pages fluff for the last 30%, and your reader detected that? Problem with e-books is that they're not limited by the cost of papers, so they often fling whole essays at the end of the novel, ruining our percentages and read estimations.
I doubt that is the problem unless the ereaders I've tested have a lot more artificial intelligence than advertised. From my testing, the problem is that none of the ereaders that I've tested handle reading speeds over ~500WPM well. One of my test books was a self-generated omnibus of the first 13 1632 books so about 2,364,000 words. While it was not happy on some ereaders, on the ones where it worked, the reading speed was still highly inaccurate a million words in.
Old 03-03-2024, 10:01 PM   #41
tomsem
Grand Sorcerer

I do not expect 'time to read' to be accurate. I don't keep track of it. I still think it is useful. I like to read to the end of chapters and even a rough estimate lets me calibrate my attention span.
Old 03-03-2024, 10:15 PM   #42
DNSB
Bibliophagist

Quote:
I do not expect 'time to read' to be accurate. I don't keep track of it. I still think it is useful. I like to read to the end of chapters and even a rough estimate lets me calibrate my attention span.
Hmmm... As I wrote, 40 minutes to read 45% the book, 156 minutes to read the remaining 55% and 11 minutes to finish the chapter is not even close to accurate and is not useful to me other than for a cheap laugh.

Looking at my last Kobo Reading Life email, 109 books read totalling 41,314 pages with 153.16 hours spent reading for an average of 4.45 pages/minutes.
Old 03-04-2024, 10:42 AM   #43
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I prefer to see how many pages left in the chapter. It gives me a lot more accuracy then time left.
Old 03-04-2024, 11:49 AM   #44
tomsem
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
I prefer to see how many pages left in the chapter. It gives me a lot more accuracy then time left.
Right, but Kindle does not offer that option (regardless of what a 'page' means).
Old 03-04-2024, 02:56 PM   #45
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Right, but Kindle does not offer that option (regardless of what a 'page' means).
That to me is a drawback especially if I want to know if I can fish the chapter before stopping reading.