Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 03-03-2024, 05:28 AM   #121
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Claude_C View Post
I put a popsocket on mine. Game changer for me.
To me that would make the PW5 harder to hold.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2024, 05:42 AM   #122
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
The the Libra 2 had no page buttons, there would be more room to hold it.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-03-2024, 11:41 AM   #123
tomsem
Grand Sorcerer
tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 15PM, Kindle Scribe, iPad mini 6, PocketBook InkPad Color 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonnenfee View Post
I like the page turn buttons too, the material the Oasis 3 is made of and the design, which is very comfortable to hold the Oasis in my hand, better than the PocketBook Era. Additional I like the flush screen.
The screen has no greyish edges and no other things, like shadows on the left or right sides. The screen is perfect.

I can confirm the Paperwhite 5 is good too. I have them both.

The Oasis 3 is my favorite reader out of all.
I'm repeating myself, but I found the Oasis rather uncomfortable to hold compared to either Paperwhite 5/11th gen or Era, and accidental button presses (advancing multiple pages sometimes) were way too common.

Before getting one, I thought it would be more ergonomic, but my experience was quite the opposite. And battery capacity is comparatively lacking.
tomsem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2024, 12:58 PM   #124
deleted2
Member Retired
deleted2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.deleted2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.deleted2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.deleted2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.deleted2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.deleted2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.deleted2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.deleted2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.deleted2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.deleted2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.deleted2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: N/A
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
To me that would make the PW5 harder to hold.
You just never tried it.

I first bought a simple clear case on which I put the popsocket, to test it. After a while, I was convinced. I bought another popsocket and put it right on the back of my PW5. I prefer the rubbery feel over the plastic of the clear case. I can now hold my Kindle with only one hand in any position without dropping it.
deleted2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2024, 02:29 PM   #125
DenS
Connoisseur
DenS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DenS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DenS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DenS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DenS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DenS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DenS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DenS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DenS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DenS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DenS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 5 SE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Claude_C View Post
I first bought a simple clear case on which I put the popsocket, to test it. After a while, I was convinced. I bought another popsocket and put it right on the back of my PW5. I prefer the rubbery feel over the plastic of the clear case. I can now hold my Kindle with only one hand in any position without dropping it.
That's how I do it too. The downside is that the screen is unprotected.
DenS is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-03-2024, 05:42 PM   #126
deleted2
Member Retired
deleted2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.deleted2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.deleted2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.deleted2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.deleted2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.deleted2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.deleted2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.deleted2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.deleted2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.deleted2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.deleted2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: N/A
Quote:
Originally Posted by DenS View Post
That's how I do it too. The downside is that the screen is unprotected.
The screen is not totally flush with the bezel. There’s a small bit of protection when you put it face down. But yeah, it’s not optimal.
deleted2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2024, 10:04 PM   #127
tomsem
Grand Sorcerer
tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 15PM, Kindle Scribe, iPad mini 6, PocketBook InkPad Color 3
Ironically the only screen I damaged was with a Kindle that had a cover. I don't use them any more (except for Scribe, which at least needs something to keep the Pen from getting lost).
tomsem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2024, 07:07 AM   #128
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle: Oasis 3, Voyage WiFi; Kobo: Libra 2, Aura One
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
The the Libra 2 had no page buttons, there would be more room to hold it.
One one solution would be to have an extra finger. I know some surgeons who would be happy to assist you.

https://www.google.com.pe/search?q=c...W7F6VlQc8,st:0

Last edited by Dr. Drib; 03-04-2024 at 07:11 AM.
Dr. Drib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2024, 09:24 AM   #129
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: All 4 Kinds: epub eink, Kindle, android eink, NxtPaper11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Drib View Post
One one solution would be to have an extra finger. I know some surgeons who would be happy to assist you.
Surgery to remove an extra finger is more common, though the condition isn't common in humans in most countries. More common in cats, who don't seem to care.

I had an Oasis v2, It seemed OK, easy to hold in either hand. Buttons could easily be used or ignored But inferior to similar Libra and Libra 2. I tested various Amazon and locally converted ebooks and decided it was no advantage for testing azw3 or buying Kindle ebooks compared to my PW3, so gave it away.
I find the 8" better than 7" for font my eyes/glasses/reading distance needs, so use the Sage rather than either Libra. I use the original Libra when totally reliable page turns are needed.

I'd imagine any replacement for the Oasis will have USB-C, buttons, Pen & Notes and be 8" now that the Kindle Basic is like a PW3 and the current PW is like an Oasis without buttons.

The 8" is better for notes than 10.3" but 10" or larger better for PDFs, Manga etc.
Quoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2024, 12:39 PM   #130
JoeC
Addict
JoeC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2 and 3, Scribe
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sirtel View Post
I liked the Oasis display too... until I got the Kobo Libra 2. The display on my Libra is miles better, both contrast/sharpness and frontlight. Ofc the Oasis still has some advantages - it's lighter, faster, the buttons are better. But oh that screen on the Libra... I fell in love with it immediately.

Not all people were lucky with their Libras, though - apparently some devices have green-tinted frontlight. The light on mine is perfect, however. My Oasis 3 was yellower (when not using the warm light) and it bothered me in some environments.
I got my hands on a Paperwhite Signature (setting up for a family member). As JSWolf implies later in this this thread, the screen is comparable to my Oasis 3. The more I twiddled with it the more I liked it. I did miss the buttons when I used it in bed - I do a lot of reading there. I didn't miss the buttons as much when I read with the Paperwhite in a chair.

Your post makes me curious about the Kobos. When my Oasis declines further I'll be looking that way. Thanks!
JoeC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2024, 02:13 PM   #131
Paperbackstash
Wizard
Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 3, PW 3, 4, 5, Fire HD 2012, Fire HD 8 (8th Gen)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonnenfee View Post
I like the page turn buttons too, the material the Oasis 3 is made of and the design, which is very comfortable to hold the Oasis in my hand, better than the PocketBook Era. Additional I like the flush screen.
The screen has no greyish edges and no other things, like shadows on the left or right sides. The screen is perfect.

I can confirm the Paperwhite 5 is good too. I have them both.

The Oasis 3 is my favorite reader out of all.
You and I have the same views. The screen is amazing to me, I adore the feel, lightness, comfort, auto-rotate, page buttons, size, shape, pretty much everything. My battery was always great for Oasis 3 and holding up strong years later. Will be so sad when it goes.
Paperbackstash is offline   Reply With Quote