Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 02-15-2024, 03:39 PM   #46
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by John F View Post
Jon, how often are you seeing your sideloaded ebooks deleted from your kindle(s)?
When Sunday comes around, I'll turn on WiFi. That will be two weeks with WiFi off. I'll report back what happens. The problem is that last time I had WiFi on, I had no idea what was on there so I had no idea if anything was deleted.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2024, 03:41 PM   #47
Mr. Goodbar
Wizard
Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.

Device: iPad Mini 4
Quote:
Jon, how often are you seeing your sideloaded ebooks deleted from your kindle(s)?
It's happening fairly consistently for me, but just seems to be ones I've side loaded since my last sync with Amazon, but not necessarily all of them. I typically don't keep wifi on all the time. It's very weird behavior which leads me to believe it's some sort of weird bug as opposed to malicious behavior by Amazon.
Mr. Goodbar is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-15-2024, 03:47 PM   #48
John F
Grand Sorcerer
John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Goodbar View Post
It's happening fairly consistently for me, but just seems to be ones I've side loaded since my last sync with Amazon, but not necessarily all of them. I typically don't keep wifi on all the time. It's very weird behavior which leads me to believe it's some sort of weird bug as opposed to malicious behavior by Amazon.
I've been following what's going on with the Kindle and sideloaded content.

I made my comment to Jon, since Jon likes to take big dumps in the cheerios of Kindle users.
John F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2024, 03:55 PM   #49
John F
Grand Sorcerer
John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
When Sunday comes around, I'll turn on WiFi. That will be two weeks with WiFi off. I'll report back what happens. The problem is that last time I had WiFi on, I had no idea what was on there so I had no idea if anything was deleted.
Strange, from the other thread:
Quote:
It's never happened to me. I don't use Whispersync.
John F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2024, 04:28 PM   #50
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Strange, from the other thread:
I decided to turn on WiFi the last time I charged it. But I didn't take note of what was on there. So I've put eBooks on there that I know are there. So if any of them go, I'll know.
Advert
Old 02-16-2024, 09:42 AM   #51
cgsmom
Addict
cgsmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cgsmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cgsmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cgsmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cgsmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cgsmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cgsmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cgsmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cgsmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cgsmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cgsmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook GL4+, Nook GL4e, Kindle Oasis 3, Kindle PW4, iPhone 14
Quote:
Do you keep WiFi on or turn WiFi on a lot?
I do keep wifi on all the time. I don't carry my Kindle (or Nook) with me. If I read away from home it is on my iPhone so I want my location to sync. I also like to keep all my software up to date. I don't seem to have too many problems that way.
cgsmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2024, 11:53 PM   #52
Paperbackstash
Wizard
Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 3, PW 3, 4, 5, Fire HD 2012, Fire HD 8 (8th Gen)
It is generally NOT a common bug. It has happened to me twice with two different devices but has been a few years now. I frequently leave Wi-fi off for months with some of my older models, and the sideloaded do not disappear when I turn Wi-Fi on. Not sure what causes it the rare times it happens, but it's not a common thing for most users.
Paperbackstash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2024, 12:15 AM   #53
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paperbackstash View Post
It is generally NOT a common bug. It has happened to me twice with two different devices but has been a few years now. I frequently leave Wi-fi off for months with some of my older models, and the sideloaded do not disappear when I turn Wi-Fi on. Not sure what causes it the rare times it happens, but it's not a common thing for most users.
I suspect that is why Amazon is so disinterested in it. Finding intermittent bugs is a total pain. Spending the time and effort to find an intermittent bug that affects users who are sideloading content very likely not purchased from Amazon is likely very far down the devs to-do list.
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2024, 12:09 PM   #54
j.p.s
Grand Sorcerer
j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: pb360
Quote:
Originally Posted by DNSB View Post
I suspect that is why Amazon is so disinterested in it. Finding intermittent bugs is a total pain. Spending the time and effort to find an intermittent bug that affects users who are sideloading content very likely not purchased from Amazon is likely very far down the devs to-do list.
Yeah, deliberately adding new misfeatures is a much higher priority.

But, for all we know, they haven't yet acknowledged that the bug exists, much less added fixing it to the to-do list.
j.p.s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2024, 07:11 PM   #55
Frogm4n
Zealot
Frogm4n ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frogm4n ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frogm4n ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frogm4n ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frogm4n ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frogm4n ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frogm4n ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frogm4n ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frogm4n ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frogm4n ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frogm4n ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Scribe
Now the Oasis only shows up in the 3-bar menu on the left of the main header. The navbar, as well as the main Kindle series product page have been scrubbed of links to it.
Frogm4n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2024, 11:06 PM   #56
DenS
Connoisseur
DenS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DenS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DenS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DenS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DenS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DenS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DenS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DenS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DenS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DenS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DenS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 5 SE
Well, if this really is the end of the Kindle Oasis, maybe they'll add buttons to the next version of the PW SE, perhaps later this year?
DenS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2024, 06:53 AM   #57
dublincheri
Zealot
dublincheri ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dublincheri ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dublincheri ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dublincheri ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dublincheri ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dublincheri ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dublincheri ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dublincheri ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dublincheri ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dublincheri ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dublincheri ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3, new Basic 2022
Quote:
Originally Posted by DenS View Post
Well, if this really is the end of the Kindle Oasis, maybe they'll add buttons to the next version of the PW SE, perhaps later this year?
If they don’t release something with page turn buttons I will be looking at Kobo when my Oasis dies (or the battery life gets too frustrating).
dublincheri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2024, 10:08 AM   #58
cgsmom
Addict
cgsmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cgsmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cgsmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cgsmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cgsmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cgsmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cgsmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cgsmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cgsmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cgsmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cgsmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook GL4+, Nook GL4e, Kindle Oasis 3, Kindle PW4, iPhone 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by dublincheri View Post
If they don’t release something with page turn buttons I will be looking at Kobo when my Oasis dies (or the battery life gets too frustrating).
I agree. I won't buy another reader without page turn buttons. I have the new Nook Glowlight 4 Plus and I have to say I am pleasantly surprised. I have had lots of Nooks and this is by far the best one I have owned, however it is out of stock until May according to the website. Of course, B&N discontinued the Nook for Windows app so I can no longer liberate my Nook books so I still buy from Amazon.

If I needed a new reader right now, I would buy a Kobo.
cgsmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2024, 04:52 PM   #59
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

I'd be happy to buy a new Kobo with no buttons. I've love an Aura H20 design with an 8 inch screen and a more hefty battery and faster processor.
Old 02-20-2024, 05:16 PM   #60
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer
Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage & Libra 2
I will also never buy a Kindle again if buttons don't make a reappearance. I hope Kobo will continue their current trend of devices with 7-8'' screens and buttons; if not, I'd probably have to look towards Pocketbooks. Nooks are not an option for me unless they completely rehaul their software (which majorly sucks as it is now, IMO).
Sirtel is online now   Reply With Quote