Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 06-03-2023, 12:22 PM   #46
SomeSteve
Addict
SomeSteve ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SomeSteve ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SomeSteve ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SomeSteve ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SomeSteve ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SomeSteve ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SomeSteve ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SomeSteve ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SomeSteve ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SomeSteve ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SomeSteve ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-T2, Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmstruwe View Post
According to the support rep, most Kindle users have a library of maybe a dozen volumes and they permanently delete each book after reading it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by issybird View Post
Either this response was scripted or the CS was making it up on the spot, but I find it highly dubious. . . . I cannot imagine that virtually all don't do more than delete the download from their device or app.
Dubious is right. It set off my B.S. alarm. Judging by my own laziness, I can hardly imagine people even bothering to remove books from their device--unless the storage was full. And I don't really understand why something as potentially disastrous as "delete permanently" is even an option.

Last edited by SomeSteve; 06-03-2023 at 12:36 PM.
SomeSteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2023, 12:28 PM   #47
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sirtel View Post
Just from curiosity, is there a reason to keep all those tens of thousands on your Kindle? If you do it for back-up, that's useless. Kindle books are coded for the device they're downloaded to and you can never use those copies on any other device. For backing up the books must be downloaded from your Kindle account to your computer and the DRM removed.

I too like to keep a couple of thousand books on my ereaders. But not much more than that, or they'll become unmanageable. The rest are kept on my computer.
I have a lot of books on my Libra 2, but I do not keep all of my library, Why would I need to? It just seems silly to keep 500+ eBooks on my Reader.

After the 1984 debacle, I have not read of Amazon removing any eBooks from anyone's Kindle. This does not seem to be correct (to me) saying Amazon removed books from the OP's Kindle.

Last edited by JSWolf; 06-03-2023 at 12:30 PM.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-03-2023, 01:05 PM   #48
John F
Grand Sorcerer
John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo HD
I'm not a Kindle user, but can you permenetly delete a book from the reader (i.e., it would also be deleted from a person's Amazon cloud library).
John F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2023, 01:14 PM   #49
SomeSteve
Addict
SomeSteve ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SomeSteve ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SomeSteve ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SomeSteve ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SomeSteve ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SomeSteve ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SomeSteve ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SomeSteve ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SomeSteve ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SomeSteve ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SomeSteve ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by John F View Post
I'm not a Kindle user, but can you permenetly delete a book from the reader (i.e., it would also be deleted from a person's Amazon cloud library).
You can remove a book from your device, and it remains in your library and can be downloaded to your device again.

On the other hand, if you permanently delete a book, it disappears not just from your device but from your library as well. If you wanted to download it again you'd have to buy it again.
Old 06-03-2023, 01:44 PM   #50
issybird
o saeclum infacetum
issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: H2O, Aura One, PW5
Quote:
Originally Posted by SomeSteve View Post
And I don't really understand why something as potentially disastrous as "delete permanently" is even an option.
I like that option. Sometimes you just want to get rid of a book, so it's not cluttering up your library; eclutter is still clutter. You should only protect people from themselves so far, especially if it eliminates desirable options, and there is an "are you sure" failsafe in between choosing deletion and deletion.
issybird is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-03-2023, 01:55 PM   #51
John F
Grand Sorcerer
John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:

On the other hand, if you permanently delete a book, it disappears not just from your device but from your library as well. If you wanted to download it again you'd have to buy it again.
Are you saying you can permanently delete a book from the reader?
Old 06-03-2023, 02:04 PM   #52
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: All 4 Kinds: epub eink, Kindle, android eink, NxtPaper11
Quote:
Dubious is right. It set off my B.S. alarm. Judging by my own laziness, I can hardly imagine people even bothering to remove books from their device--unless the storage was full. And I don't really understand why something as potentially disastrous as "delete permanently" is even an option.
I backup.
I assume that it's possible even an hour after buying a digital good that the item might not any longer be available, or even the company is gone, or my Internet is dug up for a month.

I might delete something totally obnoxious. But mostly in the last 25 years I've deleted nothing. Storage gets bigger and cheaper faster than the amount I need to store.
Quoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2023, 02:06 PM   #53
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: All 4 Kinds: epub eink, Kindle, android eink, NxtPaper11
Quote:
Originally Posted by issybird View Post
I like that option. Sometimes you just want to get rid of a book, so it's not cluttering up your library; eclutter is still clutter. You should only protect people from themselves so far, especially if it eliminates desirable options, and there is an "are you sure" failsafe in between choosing deletion and deletion.
Yes. not being able to delete at all is as wrong as removal without permission.
Quoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2023, 04:02 PM   #54
SomeSteve
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by John F View Post
Are you saying you can permanently delete a book from the reader?
On the reader itself you have the options "Remove download" and "Permanently delete."
Old 06-03-2023, 04:50 PM   #55
John F
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
On the reader itself you have the options "Remove download" and "Permanently delete."
Thank you
Old 06-03-2023, 05:59 PM   #56
haertig
Wizard
haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW3, Fire HD8 Gen7, Moto G7, Sansa Clip v2, Ruizu X26
I don't permanently delete books that I have bought. However, I do permanently delete library loans after I have returned the book. I don't see any reason for Amazon to maintain a record of what I have borrowed from the library. It's not like you can re-download the loan from Amazon, and thus may want it listed in your Amazon account. You have to go check it out from the library again. I don't understand why Amazon doesn't just automatically permanently delete library loans. Well, I guess I do probably know why Amazon does this - the more they know about you (which includes knowing what library books you have previously checked out), the better they can specifically target you with marketing. They do it for Amazon's benefit, not yours.
haertig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2023, 04:21 PM   #57
NullNix
Guru
NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3, Kindle Oasis 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by haertig View Post
I don't permanently delete books that I have bought. However, I do permanently delete library loans after I have returned the book. I don't see any reason for Amazon to maintain a record of what I have borrowed from the library.
Your assumption that Amazon removes its records of what you borrowed just because you hit 'Permanently delete' is optimistic in the extreme. I would be frankly astonished if they did any such thing.
NullNix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2023, 06:43 PM   #58
haertig
Wizard
haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW3, Fire HD8 Gen7, Moto G7, Sansa Clip v2, Ruizu X26
Quote:
Originally Posted by NullNix View Post
Your assumption that Amazon removes its records of what you borrowed just because you hit 'Permanently delete' is optimistic in the extreme. I would be frankly astonished if they did any such thing.
I just stated what I do, and that I don't think Amazon has any business tracking library loans. I make no assumptions on what Amazon does after I click on "permanently delete". If I were to assume, I would assume the same thing you do - that Amazon probably ignores the request. For all I know, they remove the library loan from MY view, but not from THEIR view. That may be a cynical view, but it's probably a correct view.
haertig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2023, 07:09 PM   #59
jhowell
Grand Sorcerer
jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles
Quote:
For all I know, they remove the library loan from MY view, but not from THEIR view. That may be a cynical view, but it's probably a correct view.
That is likely true. If you “permanently delete” a purchased book by mistake you can contact Amazon customer service and have it reinstated.
jhowell is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2023, 02:55 AM   #60
odamizu
just an egg
odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, iOS
Quote:
... I do permanently delete library loans after I have returned the book. I don't see any reason for Amazon to maintain a record of what I have borrowed from the library. It's not like you can re-download the loan from Amazon, and thus may want it listed in your Amazon account. You have to go check it out from the library again. I don't understand why Amazon doesn't just automatically permanently delete library loans. Well, I guess I do probably know why Amazon does this - the more they know about you (which includes knowing what library books you have previously checked out), the better they can specifically target you with marketing. They do it for Amazon's benefit, not yours.
The reason (or one reason) Amazon does not automatically delete library loans is that any notes and highlights you make on a library loan are saved so that if you borrow the book again or decide to purchase it, the notes and highlights will still be there. However if you permanently delete the record of the loan, your notes and highlights will be lost.
odamizu is offline   Reply With Quote