Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 09-09-2020, 03:58 PM   #1
A random blob
A random blob began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Glo HD
What color is your Kobo Glo HD screen?

Hi!

I have two Kobo Glo HD's and they're very different. One is very white and one is yellowish, as in the white one is 100% white (like really clean paper, almost RGB 255|255|255; and the other one, - slightly yellow, 249|248|236.

Here's a picture comparing those two colors:

I also asked my mom and dad to confirm that I'm not crazy and they said, indeed they're very different. Dad called it as "this one is LED, and this one is incandescent".

So, which colour is your Kobo Glo HD?

EDIT: (I didn't notice a difference when the LEDs are off. I think the leds are different color.

Last edited by A random blob; 09-09-2020 at 04:00 PM. Reason: adding info
A random blob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2020, 04:17 PM   #2
Deskisamess
Wizard
Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 7+, iPad mini, 2021 iPad Pro 12.9",Paperwhite 6.8"
I've used various Kindles and one Kobo since 2009. The "white/yellow" variations of the screens is normal IMO. The screens have all been different in how white or off white they looked. I have currently 2 new Paperwhite and one 2017 Oasis, and they are all different.

And there is no way incandescent lights are used. I no longer have my Kobo, I sold it, but it was yellowish when compared to my Oasis.

I should mention this difference never made reading uncomfortable. If I hadn't compared them side by side, I wouldn't have been bothered by it.
Deskisamess is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-09-2020, 04:27 PM   #3
A random blob

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deskisamess View Post
I've used various Kindles and one Kobo since 2009. The "white/yellow" variations of the screens is normal IMO. The screens have all been different in how white or off white they looked. I have currently 2 new Paperwhite and one 2017 Oasis, and they are all different.

And there is no way incandescent lights are used. I no longer have my Kobo, I sold it, but it was yellowish when compared to my Oasis.

I should mention this difference never made reading uncomfortable. If I hadn't compared them side by side, I wouldn't have been bothered by it.
That's exactly my problem.

I was perfectly fine, till I compared them. Now I just can't stand the yellow one. I HATE yellow color on ereaders.

My biggest problem is I can't remember if it was this way before, because I updated the software on it. Logically, light is hardware and fixex at a certain color and there's NO way updating the software could've changed anything.

But I'm still checking.

Looking forward to hear from GloHD users.

PS. Do you happen to know what's the whitest ereader on the market right now? I'm cool with all brands. From Kobo, to Amazon, to Nook.. Budget isn't a problem either.. I jsut want WHITE
Old 09-09-2020, 04:43 PM   #4
Ripplinger
350 Hoarder
Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-350, Kobo Glo & Glo HD, PW2
I have 3 Glo HDs. Two of them are nice pure white (which I prefer), and one definitely has a warmer yellowish tint to it, but not as bad as your picture. So there is some variation in color that comes from the screens. Changing firmware never made any difference in the colors for me either.
Ripplinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2020, 04:50 PM   #5
A random blob

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ripplinger View Post
I have 3 Glo HDs. Two of them are nice pure white (which I prefer), and one definitely has a warmer yellowish tint to it, but not as bad as your picture. So there is some variation in color that comes from the screens. Changing firmware never made any difference in the colors for me either.
Yep I think it's just that way.. They didn't make them fully equal. Damn! I really wish the second one was pure white too.
Advert
Old 09-09-2020, 05:12 PM   #6
Ripplinger
350 Hoarder
Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-350, Kobo Glo & Glo HD, PW2
It all depends on your taste though. There are people that prefer the warmer tint to the screen, that it's easier on their eyes. And it makes sense that could be true, I just prefer the white over yellow for the looks of it.
Ripplinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2020, 05:24 PM   #7
A random blob

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ripplinger View Post
It all depends on your taste though. There are people that prefer the warmer tint to the screen, that it's easier on their eyes. And it makes sense that could be true, I just prefer the white over yellow for the looks of it.
Time to buy a Clara HD. Then I can be happy about the colors and be unhappy about the light leaks

Ideal solution would be shilling out $300 for the Forma32GB, but you know, I'd rather keep my kidney
Old 09-09-2020, 05:30 PM   #8
jackie_w
Grand Sorcerer
jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo: KA1, ClaraHD, Forma, Libra2, Clara2E. PocketBook: TouchHD3
Quote:
Originally Posted by A random blob View Post
Ideal solution would be shilling out $300 for the Forma32GB, but you know, I'd rather keep my kidney
Well, yes, but then you'd need to obsess about the light strip down the right edge instead. All Kobo users are catered for, a flaw for everyone.
jackie_w is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2020, 07:08 PM   #9
A random blob

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackie_w View Post
Well, yes, but then you'd need to obsess about the light strip down the right edge instead. All Kobo users are catered for, a flaw for everyone.
Oh no! Light strip?

Guess the best way is to just buy used Clara HD in person without leaks
Old 09-09-2020, 07:39 PM   #10
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Oh no! Light strip?

Guess the best way is to just buy used Clara HD in person without leaks
That has been fixed. So there is no more light leak.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2020, 07:48 PM   #11
A random blob

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
That has been fixed. So there is no more light leak.
That's when you're buying new models though. Buying local here in Bosnia - doomed to buying used
Old 09-09-2020, 08:56 PM   #12
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

As for what color the screen is, it's the same color as every other Glo HD screen. So not the question is answered.

Now as for the LEDs, that's for another thread since this one is done.
Old 09-09-2020, 09:07 PM   #13
Deskisamess
Wizard
Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 7+, iPad mini, 2021 iPad Pro 12.9",Paperwhite 6.8"
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
As for what color the screen is, it's the same color as every other Glo HD screen. So not the question is answered.

Now as for the LEDs, that's for another thread since this one is done.
The op clearly mentioned the lights being the issue. I can only speak for myself in saying I know the variations in color are caused by the led lights.

"Dad called it as "this one is LED, and this one is incandescent".
Deskisamess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2020, 11:12 PM   #14
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Quote:
That's when you're buying new models though. Buying local here in Bosnia - doomed to buying used
It's been ages since I can remember anyone complaining about this, so hopefully the fixed stock has reached everywhere. But, the light leak in the Clara HD is very easy to fix.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2020, 10:22 AM   #15
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deskisamess View Post
The op clearly mentioned the lights being the issue. I can only speak for myself in saying I know the variations in color are caused by the led lights.

"Dad called it as "this one is LED, and this one is incandescent".
But the topic says screen, not LEDs. So I was correctly answering the question posed by this thread's topic. Now if the OP wants to go ahead and talk about the LEDs, tohen the OP should request the topic be changed to be correct for a discussion on the LEDs as the screens will be the same color.