Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 10-18-2016, 06:09 PM   #1
mhodgin
mhodgin began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Aura h2o
Kobo Aura One - Buy Now or Wait?

Hi Mobilereaders and Kobo lovers,

I am mostly a frequent lurker here, but I regard you guys as experts in reading and devices, so I am kindly asking:

I currently have a Kobo Aura H2O and bought it when it came out and have loved reading on it.

Do I go ahead and buy the ONE or wait for a while? The issue that bothers me the most if if the battery does not last long. I mostly sideload a few epubs, do not turn on WIFI much, and only read books but with the light on about 20% mostly.

I do not use a cover (the covers seem to be a part of the battery problem?)

Have the battery issues been resolved? That is one of the features that I love on the H2O is that the device is always ready to go; I can schedule the charging of its battery when it is convenient for me, not when the device is constantly begging for another charge.

Looking forward to all responses, and I hope the ONE is getting the attention it deserves and the problems are being corrected by Kobo.

Thank you,

Mark
mhodgin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2016, 07:09 PM   #2
robko
Wizard
robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo
Aside from issues some are having with fast drain (which the firmware update seems to have fixed for most), the battery is smaller than the H2O and the screen is larger, so overall the battery life is never going to be as good as the H2O. It's not bad, but I probably charge the Aura 1 slightly less than once a week when the H2O would be 2 weeks or more. Having said that, I LOVE the screen size. I hated going back to the H2O (it just felt soooo small) when I went away for a weekend and didn't have a case built for transporting my KA1.
The nightlight isn't perfected yet (especially at higher settings), so if that was the attraction it might be disappointing.
robko is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-19-2016, 04:05 AM   #3
Zaroff
Connoisseur
Zaroff is faster than slow light.Zaroff is faster than slow light.Zaroff is faster than slow light.Zaroff is faster than slow light.Zaroff is faster than slow light.Zaroff is faster than slow light.Zaroff is faster than slow light.Zaroff is faster than slow light.Zaroff is faster than slow light.Zaroff is faster than slow light.Zaroff is faster than slow light.

Device: Kobo Aura One
The screen size is spot-on. Not too large, not too small, they nailed it, you feel like reading a real book page. Nightlight also seems vastly improved on newer batches (post 68xxx) and one keeps hoping that battery problems are firmware-related only, though that remains to be seen. Whether you're willing to take that bet or not is up to you.
The other production problems are relatively minor, such as the small gap on the front panel.
Just make sure that the place you buy it from has a good return policy in case they still have units from the apparently flawed first batch, or you end up with a lemon.
Zaroff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2016, 04:22 AM   #4
344a
Groupie
344a ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.344a ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.344a ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.344a ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.344a ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.344a ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.344a ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.344a ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.344a ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.344a ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.344a ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Hong Kong is done.
Some of my local users here said, the reading experience of H2O is better than One. But I don't have an One, so I can't tell.

I know how it feels like the itchy mind wanting to buy a new toy. If the money is not a problem, I would go for it.

Last edited by 344a; 10-19-2016 at 04:30 AM.
344a is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2016, 04:40 AM   #5
MrDrWatson
MrDrWatson began at the beginning.

Device: Sony prs-505, Kobo Aura HD, Kobo Aura One
I moved from the Aura HD to the One, I love the screen size, it just feels right.
I haven't had any problems as others reported. The battery needs charging every week while in the HD it could be a month before need to charge (but this is also due to the fact that I'm using the One much more than I used the HD, the ebook pages seem the perfect size for me now).
Also there is no Sudoku on the One, I miss it now that I don't have it.
MrDrWatson is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-19-2016, 05:08 AM   #6
simond
Fanatic
simond ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simond ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simond ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simond ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simond ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simond ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simond ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simond ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simond ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simond ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simond ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura One, iPad, iPhone
I moved from the H2O to the One and haven't regretted it at all now the most recent firmware is out. It does feel the battery runs out a bit quicker but it's still weeks, the size of the screen is great for me, I love that the screen is flush now and t doesn't feel like it weighs any more than the H2O did. So for me it was well worth the upgrade
simond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2016, 06:03 AM   #7
TheHazardsDuke
Connoisseur
TheHazardsDuke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TheHazardsDuke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TheHazardsDuke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TheHazardsDuke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TheHazardsDuke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TheHazardsDuke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TheHazardsDuke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TheHazardsDuke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TheHazardsDuke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TheHazardsDuke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TheHazardsDuke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch
@Zaroff - Was it only the first batch that the build quality problems? I've seen lots of posts about various issues (loose backplates, misaligned screens, wonky frontlights, big gaps around the casing).
TheHazardsDuke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2016, 08:09 AM   #8
Zaroff
Connoisseur
Zaroff is faster than slow light.Zaroff is faster than slow light.Zaroff is faster than slow light.Zaroff is faster than slow light.Zaroff is faster than slow light.Zaroff is faster than slow light.Zaroff is faster than slow light.Zaroff is faster than slow light.Zaroff is faster than slow light.Zaroff is faster than slow light.Zaroff is faster than slow light.

In my experience, both batches have problems, of various sorts. The first has an almost entirely orange screen when nightlight is used at higher settings, plus battery problems.
The second batch has a much less compromised screen, but does have misaligned front panel with gaps, and the same battery problems I had with the first one.
Neither, however, had a loose backplate.
Old 10-19-2016, 11:51 AM   #9
Stingo
Fanatic
Stingo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stingo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stingo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stingo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stingo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stingo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stingo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stingo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stingo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stingo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stingo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KH2O, KPW2, KDXG, KPW1, K3, S505
I would recommend waiting. The Aura 1 physical dimensions are fantastic. However, the problems with the device are very disappointing for a flagship reader. In particular the battery issues, the phantom touches with the sleep cover and the wonky light sensor can really leave a bad taste. The H2O is a very solid and satisfying performer and hopefully, with a little time, the Aura 1 will be even better.
Stingo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2016, 04:59 PM   #10
Zaroff
Connoisseur

+1 I forgot the autonomous life the KA1 acquires with the sleep cover...
Old 10-19-2016, 06:36 PM   #11
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zaroff View Post
+1 I forgot the autonomous life the KA1 acquires with the sleep cover...
Yeah, there are some 'interesting' quirks with the sleepcover.
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2016, 09:20 PM   #12
Cosimo
Groupie
Cosimo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cosimo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cosimo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cosimo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cosimo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cosimo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cosimo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cosimo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cosimo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cosimo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cosimo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo HD
I usually wait until the Christmas season just because Chapters Indigo usually has a sale where they include the cover / case for free. At least they have the past several years.

Sent from my LG-H631 using Tapatalk
Cosimo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2016, 12:14 AM   #13
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cosimo View Post
I usually wait until the Christmas season just because Chapters Indigo usually has a sale where they include the cover / case for free. At least they have the past several years.

Sent from my LG-H631 using Tapatalk
And by then, store stock may be more reliable. The Chapters/Indigo stores around here are have trouble keeping any KA1's in stock which doesn't encourage any sales.
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2016, 10:35 AM   #14
LuckyL
LuckyL , Klaatu Barada Niktu!LuckyL , Klaatu Barada Niktu!LuckyL , Klaatu Barada Niktu!LuckyL , Klaatu Barada Niktu!LuckyL , Klaatu Barada Niktu!LuckyL , Klaatu Barada Niktu!LuckyL , Klaatu Barada Niktu!LuckyL , Klaatu Barada Niktu!LuckyL , Klaatu Barada Niktu!LuckyL , Klaatu Barada Niktu!LuckyL , Klaatu Barada Niktu!

Device: Kobo Aura HD
In response to the original question:

after my personal experience I would definitely recommend to wait. The problems I have experienced:

- battery drain
- green blotches on the screen
- irregular backlighting
- touch not working/offset
- irregular gaps around the bezel
- not recognised under Windows 10

I replaced the item several times before finally returning it for a refund. The differences between the units I received were staggering, however, all units had the battery and touch problems.

The quality control is shocking and at this price point, it's unacceptable. I often read that it's only the disappointed ones being vocal while there is a silent, happy majority. But my personal experience matches the descriptions that some have branded horror stories.

I am now looking for non-Kobo alternatives but I can't seem to find an alternative (>7", 300dpi) so I will stick with my old reader until such time that something new comes up in the market.

As far as Kobo is concerned: never again.
LuckyL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2016, 12:18 PM   #15
frankrec
frankrec is less competitive than you.frankrec is less competitive than you.frankrec is less competitive than you.frankrec is less competitive than you.frankrec is less competitive than you.frankrec is less competitive than you.frankrec is less competitive than you.frankrec is less competitive than you.frankrec is less competitive than you.frankrec is less competitive than you.frankrec is less competitive than you.

I love my kobo aura One! I had some battery issue until I upgraded the fw. Now l've turned off WiFi, and I manually put it to sleep before I close the cover and I have no problem with the battery. I use it in full screen mode and it is great.
frankrec is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
aura one