Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Onyx Boox

Notices

Old 03-21-2018, 01:58 AM   #1
pdfreaderguy
pdfreaderguy began at the beginning.

Device: none
Follow my Onyx Boox Note Purchase. I've probably been scammed by GoodeReader

I made an order from Goodereader. I wouldn't do it again.

I am in the USA. I was about to buy a remarkable tablet for an out of country trip at the end of the month. I saw the Onyx Boox note was available on March 19...

Says it right here...
https://goodereader.com/blog/electro...ble-march-19th

Their facebook says its available! They are shipping from Canada!
https://i.imgur.com/aOhNjr8.png

Well I can order from Germany or Canada. GoodeReader prices are NOT competitive. They have been called out on this but they explain that they get items to people that don't have a lot of access in their countries and pay a premium. Well I'm ready to pay a premium because of timing. Canada sounds like faster timing than Germany and GoodeReader (Canada) shows they have 20 in stock.

No I didn't know about GoodeReader history of bad service and questionable dealings.

So I message them to check that I can get the item on my timeline, it will go out "immediately" the next day (March 19!) if I pay right away. I pay right away. You can see the rest of the conversation where things obviously don't go that way:

My chat with them:
https://i.imgur.com/bRXtRtN.png

I don't believe that GoodeReader has any Onyx Boox in stock.
They are also misleading people about that and then going silent.

Notice the March 19th post above, people are starting to complain they aren't being clear. But I didn't know that. Buyer Beware!

Also note, "OURS IS IN THE US"...
https://i.imgur.com/krh1BaR.png

Here is the GoodeReader Onyx Boox Note website cached from google. This is how it appeared when I ordered. March 18, 10:00pm
THEY HAVE SINCE EDITED IT.

http://archive.is/W2wP9

Here it is today:
https://goodereader.com/blog/product...-10-3-e-reader
Archived: http://archive.is/IwdxS

Sloppy add on at the bottom:

Quote:
This item will be shipped from Asia

I believe GoodeReader is running a scam.
They have no evidence of having any Onyx Boox in stock. They refuse to respond and they have now edited their website silently to disclaim themselves.

Items are likely just shipping directly from Onyx and with all the delay and poor timing of items coming from China. Not at all what is being advertised for the markup.

P.S.
Why doesn't this forum have a vendor feedback section so we can protect others?

GOOD E READER
1505 RENFREW STREET
VANCOUVER, BC V5K 4C8
778-889-6476
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	facebookereader.png
Views:	339
Size:	95.2 KB
ID:	162940   Click image for larger version

Name:	goodereaderchat.png
Views:	381
Size:	73.8 KB
ID:	162941   Click image for larger version

Name:	goodereaderposts.png
Views:	337
Size:	63.4 KB
ID:	162942  

Last edited by pdfreaderguy; 03-21-2018 at 10:40 AM.
pdfreaderguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2018, 09:18 AM   #2
Randy11
Wizard
Randy11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Randy11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Randy11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Randy11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Randy11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Randy11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Randy11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Randy11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Randy11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Randy11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Randy11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung EB60, Onyx M92, Onyx Max2
Hello,

Take care to the picture's size, join (attachment) the picture and the required size is small, like 640 x 800.

About the "P.S. :Why doesn't this forum have a vendor feedback section so we can protect others", it's delicate because the forum must not be transformed as a place where the customers express their resentment, opinion or wrong (bad or untruth, pro/against) appreciation on a vendor.

You can see in the ONYX forum some different opinions about the site https://ereader.store/ (old name : https://ereader-store.de/) given, here Booxtor respond for this site. Currently, some users complain about the delays, you can see one of my replies here : https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...80&postcount=7

For GoodReader, many comments were done in this site and not very good, you can look here GOODEREADER announces crowd-funded 'ULTIMATE 6" EINK READER or Onyx Boox Max vs. GoodEreader 13.3" (no name).

An other example, some complaint was done about the accuracy of some descriptive on some sites and the device received.

I think it could be useful to kept this in device's thread where some other users/customers could explain, moderate, etc. the opinions given to obtain some thing more realistic, nearest from the truth.

The best way is to search all references for a vendor/site in Mobilearead.
Randy11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-21-2018, 10:41 AM   #3
pdfreaderguy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randy11 View Post
Hello,

Take care to the picture's size, join (attachment) the picture and the required size is small, like 640 x 800.
Dunno how to do that. Some bbcode not supported and I would have assumed the forum was responsive design.

I've removed img tag and left the links. Sorry!
Old 03-21-2018, 11:07 AM   #4
Randy11
Wizard
Randy11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Randy11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Randy11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Randy11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Randy11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Randy11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Randy11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Randy11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Randy11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Randy11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Randy11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung EB60, Onyx M92, Onyx Max2
Not a problem for me, but for the admin site The pictures are delete with a big message that said that you don't respect the forum's guidelines.

To convert the pictures, you can use ImageMagic.
Randy11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2018, 11:37 AM   #5
Question Mark
Wizard
Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: More than I need, but not as many as I would like.
Quote:
Originally Posted by pdfreaderguy View Post
I made an order from Goodereader. I wouldn't do it again.

I don't believe that GoodeReader has any Onyx Boox in stock.
They are also misleading people about that and then going silent.

They have no evidence of having any Onyx Boox in stock. They refuse to respond and they have now edited their website silently to disclaim themselves.

Items are likely just shipping directly from Onyx and with all the delay and poor timing of items coming from China. Not at all what is being advertised for the markup.
Sorry to hear that you were taken in by their deceptive practices. I very nearly was as well when they initially launched their 13.3" Indiegogo campaign. When contemplating an expensive purchase, it seemed comforting to know that they were operating in Canada. Luckily, I stumbled across some information on these forums which made me take a closer look at them.

Thank you for documenting your experience with them for others to see. This is important to do. It is what saved me from making a similar mistake two years ago.

Hope you paid by credit card. With your documentation, it should be relatively straightforward to get a refund. However, you should initiate any such refund request before the order is marked as "shipped" or there might be some delays.
Question Mark is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-21-2018, 12:44 PM   #6
pdfreaderguy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Question Mark View Post

Hope you paid by credit card. With your documentation, it should be relatively straightforward to get a refund. However, you should initiate any such refund request before the order is marked as "shipped" or there might be some delays.

I did pay by credit card. Because of the fact that We had an agreement to ship out the next day, I'm considering the agreement void. The rest of the evidence points towards the truth that they don't actually have any in stock. I have requested them to cancel my order and lots of fraud notice with my credit card company. Good point about doing so before they ship.

Because I have a statement from them that the item will ship out the next day, my credit card company states that is part of the agreed price. If they did not ship on the timeline that I paid for, that I did not receive the product that I paid for. I will refuse their packages and get a refund through dispute. It locks up my credit card charge for about 45 days but that's not the end of the world.
Old 03-21-2018, 01:56 PM   #7
pdfreaderguy

Update:

They got back to me and essentially blamed me for not giving them enough time. Called me "impatient".

Remember, the item was supposed to ship on Monday. They offered that upfront.
I gave it Monday and Tuesday.
It's still not shipped today (Wednesday). I am on a tight timeline, but again, they are the ones charging a premium and offering immediate shipping.

They blamed me for contacting than via social media instead of emailing. Their website has a contact form and I contacted via social media since that's how they first responded. And I wanted some evidence they were receiving my messages. They were. Then didn't respond when I asked if it shipped.

I'll post the chat logs for your own judgement when I'm not on mobile.

Again, I don't believe they have any in stock. They didn't ship as they offered and I believe that's because they can't. They don't have them. They are depending on the chronically delayed shipments from China.
Old 03-21-2018, 04:11 PM   #8
blazar
blazar began at the beginning.

Device: Onyx Boox Note - wanna be
Same situation here, pdfreaderguy.
I ordered on March 8th from Goodereader.com (from Canada), they said will ship the next Monday, March 12th. The March 9th they publish a blog saying shipping will start on March 19th. I considered was ok waiting another week.
After that they put this "Sipping from Asia" fine print on the product page.
Of course, never answered to my emails, or phone.
I can still wait to have the product shipped from China, the problem is I only have 30 days from the last bank statement to make a dispute claim with visa. So, I guess I'll open a case with visa Monday 26th the latest. I understand is a niche product, and we have to support them, and pay the big money and everything; but I can't encourage this kind of doing business based on lies.
blazar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2018, 04:24 PM   #9
Question Mark
Wizard
Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Although I live in Canada, I actually ordered my Note 10.3" device from the ereaderstore in Germany. It arrived today and shipped from Germany via UPS. There was tracking all the way.

I have followed Good Ereader's Indiegogo campaign very closely after very nearly getting sucked in by it to ever do business with the folks at Good Ereader. Just check out the thread in the Netronix forum and you will see:

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...69#post3665369

Having bought the Boox Max through Booxtor's store in Germany last year, I felt very confident placing a pre-order with him for the Note. Hence, mine is now currently charging as I type this.

I actually suspect that the folks at Good Ereader don't yet have a physical device themselves as they have not yet made any review videos of the Note that I am aware of.
Old 03-21-2018, 04:38 PM   #10
iFlak
Enthusiast
iFlak writes the songs that make the whole world sing.iFlak writes the songs that make the whole world sing.iFlak writes the songs that make the whole world sing.iFlak writes the songs that make the whole world sing.iFlak writes the songs that make the whole world sing.iFlak writes the songs that make the whole world sing.iFlak writes the songs that make the whole world sing.iFlak writes the songs that make the whole world sing.iFlak writes the songs that make the whole world sing.iFlak writes the songs that make the whole world sing.iFlak writes the songs that make the whole world sing.

Device: reMarkable
Quote:
Originally Posted by Question Mark View Post
Hence, mine is now currently charging as I type this.
I'm so jealous QMark! I can't wait to hear what you think.
iFlak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2018, 10:28 PM   #11
rpvreviews
Enthusiast
rpvreviews began at the beginning.

Device: Boox Note 10.3; Various Kindles in past
They are big scam, i got scammed by their horrible goodereader, it arrived damaged and they will never respond back i lost over $500
rpvreviews is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2018, 12:36 AM   #12
Question Mark
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by rpvreviews View Post
They are big scam, i got scammed by their horrible goodereader, it arrived damaged and they will never respond back i lost over $500
If you kept the emails which you sent them after receiving the faulty device, you may be able to get the money back if you paid by credit card.

If they sent you a faulty device, they did not send you the product that you paid for. And if they have not responded to emails requesting a replacement or a refund, you may be able to recover your money through filing a complaint with the credit card.

In addition to any emails which you have sent to Good Ereader, you can point the credit card agency to the comments section on the Indiegogo page where multiple people complain that they have not responded to emails and where they acknowledge that there have been defects in some of the devices sent out. You should also point out to the credit card agency that only genuine backers are able to post comments there.

The more people who actually report on such behaviour to relevant authorities, the more likely they will eventually be held accountable.
Old 03-23-2018, 12:50 AM   #13
pdfreaderguy

Quote:
Originally Posted by blazar View Post
Same situation here, pdfreaderguy.
I ordered on March 8th from Goodereader.com (from Canada), they said will ship the next Monday, March 12th. The March 9th they publish a blog saying shipping will start on March 19th. I considered was ok waiting another week.
After that they put this "Sipping from Asia" fine print on the product page.
Of course, never answered to my emails, or phone.
Of course. I tried calling the phone and even looked them up to find its just some dudes in a house in Canada playing a shell game with other people's money. They charge a premium but don't add any service. They lie about their inventory. Any delay trickles down to the customer and they've got your money the whole time.

Attached is my chat log with them where they suggest its my fault, why didn't I just call (I did) or email (haha, not a chance, I want proof they read it and they responded on facebook originally). Why didn't I give them longer (they said they would ship the next day!)?

Now I see the indiegogo goal. Either criminally or just inept business practices, their goal is to wait everyone out with delay after delay until its difficult to contest the charges. At some point, you either give up or can't contest. They still have your money.

No way am I doing down that route when they started showing signs of the same...again. The editing of the webpage silently, but no update on delays is what makes me believe this is all an intentional ruse.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	chatclip.png
Views:	336
Size:	306.9 KB
ID:	162965  

Last edited by pdfreaderguy; 03-23-2018 at 12:53 AM.
Old 03-24-2018, 10:27 PM   #14
blazar
blazar began at the beginning.

Device: Onyx Boox Note - wanna be
Update

I received this morning a notification from DHL. The tablet left Hong Kong. Now I received a new message saying was clearing customs in Cincinnati. Supposed to be delivered on Wednesday 28. I'm pretty sure DHL will charge customs duty fees. Is why I've ordered from a Canadian company in the first place, to avoid customs fees. Now, as you said pdfreader, they disclaim themselves with the new little note "will be shipped from Asia" which wasn't the case the time I placed my order.
blazar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2018, 11:38 PM   #15
pdfreaderguy

Quote:
Originally Posted by blazar View Post
I received this morning a notification from DHL. The tablet left Hong Kong. Now I received a new message saying was clearing customs in Cincinnati. Supposed to be delivered on Wednesday 28. I'm pretty sure DHL will charge customs duty fees. Is why I've ordered from a Canadian company in the first place, to avoid customs fees. Now, as you said pdfreader, they disclaim themselves with the new little note "will be shipped from Asia" which wasn't the case the time I placed my order.
They are scummy.
Built totally around sleight-of-hand and delays.

They take money and present themselves as one thing when in reality they are just taking your money to place an order with onyx.

I don't actually care if somebody has high prices that are not competitive. It's a fair market.
I care about the lies and how they sustain those high prices.

Last edited by pdfreaderguy; 03-30-2018 at 01:32 AM. Reason: Correct formatting