Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Conversion

Notices

Old 05-08-2011, 01:51 AM   #1
plumtoad
plumtoad began at the beginning.

Device: iphone 3gs
pdf input- all quotation marks missing

I'm using calibre 8.0

I'm trying to convert a .pdf file to .epub, but all of my quotation marks dissapear. I've tried .rtf, .txt, .lit, .epub, .zip - they are gone no matter what output I use.

I've been messing with it for about 3 hours now, and I've tried dozens of things. I've done a google search, read through the calibre help file, and I'm not finding anything that is my exact problem.

Here's an example of my problem:

.pdf input file:
"I wish I could still do cartwheels like I used too," said the old lady.
output file:
I wish I could still do cartwheels like I used too, said the old lady.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance!
plumtoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2011, 02:23 AM   #2
pchrist7
Addict
pchrist7 is kind to children and small, furry animalspchrist7 is kind to children and small, furry animalspchrist7 is kind to children and small, furry animalspchrist7 is kind to children and small, furry animalspchrist7 is kind to children and small, furry animalspchrist7 is kind to children and small, furry animalspchrist7 is kind to children and small, furry animalspchrist7 is kind to children and small, furry animalspchrist7 is kind to children and small, furry animalspchrist7 is kind to children and small, furry animalspchrist7 is kind to children and small, furry animals

Device: Kindle 3 3G+Wifi, Oasis
Hi there
When I have to convert pdf's, I use Mobipocket creator. Seems a lot better to me. First I use mobipocket to convert the pdf, then I add the converted books into calibre, and go from there. A bit more work, but better results for me.
You can get mobipocket creator here for free:
http://www.mobipocket.com/en/Downloa...sp?Language=EN
Some of the guru's might have better solutions, though.
pchrist7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-15-2011, 06:34 PM   #3
plumtoad

I tried Mobipocket creator, and that didn't work either. Thanks anyway though

I suppose there isn't an answer to this problem.
Old 05-15-2011, 06:37 PM   #4
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
There is only one way to convert PDF perfectly. That is to convert the PDF using whatever software you want. Then after the PDF is converted, you have to A/B compare the PDF to the conversion and fix everything gone wrong. That is a lot of work and (IMHO), not worth the hassle.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2011, 09:10 PM   #5
speakingtohe
Wizard
speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony PRS-T1 and T3, Kobo Mini and Aura HD, Tablet
Could be a non-standard " character. Try looking at the file in conversion search and replace and see what the character(s) is then replacing it.
speakingtohe is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-19-2011, 05:43 PM   #6
plumtoad

Yeah, I'm pretty much ready to delete the file. It's not worth this much time & effort

The only time I can get the " marks to show up is by opening the pdf file with OpenOffice, but then I have the trouble with broken lines, headers, and footers. I'm going to try a search and replace on the marks, then try a conversion with Calibre, using the heuristic process. uwrapping lines, and also the search & replace to remove the headers and footers.

Who knows, maybe it'll work. Or not... at this point, it doesn't really matter.

Thanks for the suggestions... even if they didn't work. Although they led me down different paths to try, so thats a plus!
Old 05-20-2011, 02:15 AM   #7
Manichean
Wizard
Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.

Device: Cybook Gen3
If you can open the file in OpenOffice (which I didn't know was even possible) try saving it as RTF or ODT and converting that.
Manichean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2011, 09:47 PM   #8
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
It's not worth the hassle.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote