Amazon's $35 one 22 55.00%
mcover 2 5.00%
crazyondigital 4 10.00%
other 12 30.00%
Voters: 40. You may not vote on this poll

Old 12-01-2010, 12:56 AM   #1
texasnightowl
Guru
texasnightowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.texasnightowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.texasnightowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.texasnightowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.texasnightowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.texasnightowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.texasnightowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.texasnightowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.texasnightowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.texasnightowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.texasnightowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 3, K4B(NT), K3/KK
Buying a K3 for my dad...choosing a case

My dad has decided he would like an ereader...a Kindle 3...so I am buying him one for Christmas. I have a K1 which of course came with a case...which I am still using! But I do want to get him a case...he has big hands and I think having the K3 in a case would be easier to hold for him. But, the $35 price tag of the Amazon one is a little high! So I'm wondering what we think of the mcover and crazyondigital ones?

mcover (blue)

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...A2YKDKC0R8H76Z

crazyondigital

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...A1QGIDACEIIO9M

Amazon one (but would probably get it in green instead of black)

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...=ATVPDKIKX0DER

What do we think?
texasnightowl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2010, 02:12 AM   #2
Pushka
Wizard
Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle, Ipad, Iphone, Nexus and PPW
My husband loves the Amazon one. GREEN! And maybe buy him a light he can use if his sight isnt perfect. They are very good covers.
Pushka is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-01-2010, 02:44 AM   #3
GreenEyedLady
A Lover of Books
GreenEyedLady turned on, tuned in, and dropped out.GreenEyedLady turned on, tuned in, and dropped out.GreenEyedLady turned on, tuned in, and dropped out.GreenEyedLady turned on, tuned in, and dropped out.GreenEyedLady turned on, tuned in, and dropped out.GreenEyedLady turned on, tuned in, and dropped out.GreenEyedLady turned on, tuned in, and dropped out.GreenEyedLady turned on, tuned in, and dropped out.GreenEyedLady turned on, tuned in, and dropped out.GreenEyedLady turned on, tuned in, and dropped out.GreenEyedLady turned on, tuned in, and dropped out.

Device: Nook Classic, Ipad 2
I got my parents a Kindle3 for Christmas and went with the lighted cover. It's expensive, but I liked that the light was powerwd by the Kindle and not batteries. IMHO most of the covers are overpriced.

Deb
GreenEyedLady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2010, 02:55 AM   #4
rakulos
Connoisseur
rakulos began at the beginning.

Device: ipad, K3, acer aspire switch 10
Only tried the Amazon one but it really is one of the nicest covers for a mobile device I've come across. The cover fits the device perfectly, great quality and I cant recommend it enough.

Oh, and fully agree with GreenEyedLady - they are ALL pricey for what you get, device covers just seem to come with inflated price tags
rakulos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2010, 06:59 AM   #5
iamqueenkk
iamqueenkk began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 3
I'm agreeing with GreenEyedLady and rakulos. I have the Amazon cover with the inbuilt light and while it did cost $59.95, it's mighty purdy and the light is just great!
iamqueenkk is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-01-2010, 07:34 AM   #6
texasnightowl
Guru
texasnightowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.texasnightowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.texasnightowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.texasnightowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.texasnightowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.texasnightowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.texasnightowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.texasnightowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.texasnightowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.texasnightowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.texasnightowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Ok, so if I consider the lighted cover...is the light detachable? Or does it tuck out of sight? Guess I should go look on the Amazon web page :>
Old 12-01-2010, 07:58 AM   #7
speedlever
Fanatic
speedlever can fool all of the people all of the time.speedlever can fool all of the people all of the time.speedlever can fool all of the people all of the time.speedlever can fool all of the people all of the time.speedlever can fool all of the people all of the time.speedlever can fool all of the people all of the time.speedlever can fool all of the people all of the time.speedlever can fool all of the people all of the time.speedlever can fool all of the people all of the time.speedlever can fool all of the people all of the time.speedlever can fool all of the people all of the time.

Device: PW2014, PW2012, iPad Pro
Of the 3 covers you listed, I like the Amazon the best. The others look like they could interfere with the keypad. The Amazon case/cover leaves the K3 clean and unrestricted. Note the caution at the end of this post.

There are some other options you may wish to review on Amazon.com (or elsewhere). These are cheaper options and seem to leave the keypad unrestricted, best I can tell from the pics.
JAVOedge book style (~$17)
JAVOedge flip style (~$17)

TrendyDigital (~$32)
Marware (~$30)

I didn't provide links to the last two as I figure you can do your own search. But I ordered a Marware flip, a lighted Kindle case (gift), and a JAVOedge flip case to go along with a couple of K3s that are on order too.

One note, if you get a case that is secured by the spine (Amazon case, lighted or not), get some of the Smak-Dab clips to secure it to the back cover. Else you run the risk of cracking the K3 where it connects to the cover if you inadvertently try to open the cover from the back instead of the front.

Feature-wise I like the lighted K3 case as the built-in light will turn off when the K3 goes to sleep (if you go to sleep while reading). Plus, it draws power from the K3 and you don't need to deal with extra batteries or an extra device to tote around. I just personally didn't want to pay the price and for me, went with cheaper options. Hope I don't regret that!

Last edited by speedlever; 12-01-2010 at 10:28 AM. Reason: spelling!
speedlever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2010, 09:16 AM   #8
mewmartigan
Guru
mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis (2019)
Another vote for the Kindle lighted cover from Amazon. Very good case, very good light, no batteries needed! And yes, it tucks completely out of the way when not in use. You wouldn't even know it was there.
mewmartigan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2010, 11:07 AM   #9
Dave Wadsley
Dave Wadsley began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
I love the Amazon lighted case as well...it looks great, protects the Kindle, feels as if I am reading a book. The light is a great piece of design...you wouldn't know it was there until you use it..and then it works great. Way too expensive, of course, but I felt I would have regretted not having it...and I have never regretted having it. When my wife saw it she changed her mind about not wanting a book reader...so that solved my problem of what to get here for her Birthday!
Dave Wadsley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2010, 11:17 AM   #10
texasnightowl
Guru

OK, so I am leaning towards the Amazon cover (in green) but still unsure about lighted or not.

But, question about Speedlever's post about the hinges and possible damage and the Smak-dab clips...I guess the question is...could we just use a piece of velcro instead? My K1 of course you need access to the switches on the back. But if I understand correctly, the K3 no longer has switches on the back...everything is top or bottom, right? So a piece of velcro on the back would do the same job, right?
Old 12-01-2010, 11:29 AM   #11
FF2
Wizard
FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: WiFi Kindle3
Someone posted a link to a tech blog where his velcro suggestion was on the radio - can't find it now. So, yes, velcro on the back of the kindle and on the case can help secure against inadvertent "wrong way openings" - the issue is that if one grabs the back of the case and the kindle to open it that way, they put pressure on the hinge area. I THINK that the older cases were not as refined - the new k3 case has a groove and smooth leather one inch at the edge so that the front and back are now quite distinguishable. Of course, some 3rd party might be looking at the kindle and try opening it the wrong way. I just ordered the smak-dab as insurance. But 3rd parties are also always trying to use the K3's "touch screen" too - NO touch screen, I yell!
FF2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2010, 11:49 AM   #12
daffy4u
I'm Super Kindle-icious
daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KDXG, KT, Oasis
I have the lighted cover in green, so that's my vote!
daffy4u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2010, 12:48 PM   #13
twowheels
Wizard
twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara HD, iPad Pro 10", iPhone 15 Pro
Quote:
Originally Posted by FF2 View Post
Someone posted a link to a tech blog where his velcro suggestion was on the radio - can't find it now. So, yes, velcro on the back of the kindle and on the case can help secure against inadvertent "wrong way openings" - the issue is that if one grabs the back of the case and the kindle to open it that way, they put pressure on the hinge area. I THINK that the older cases were not as refined - the new k3 case has a groove and smooth leather one inch at the edge so that the front and back are now quite distinguishable. Of course, some 3rd party might be looking at the kindle and try opening it the wrong way. I just ordered the smak-dab as insurance. But 3rd parties are also always trying to use the K3's "touch screen" too - NO touch screen, I yell!
I'm always afraid to demo my Kindle for these very reasons. That, and they always mess up my current pages... I try to explain that it's as if I shuffled the stuff on their desk, and moved their bookmarks, but they still insist on exploring beyond the books that I open for them.
twowheels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2010, 01:59 PM   #14
ProfCrash
Tea Enthusiast
ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle1, Kindle DX Graphite, K3 3G, IPad 3, PW2
My choice is well over $35. I love the Oberons.
ProfCrash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2010, 03:35 PM   #15
FF2
Wizard
FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: WiFi Kindle3
Twoheels - I try remembering to set a bookmark if I hand the k3 to someone to look at.
FF2 is offline   Reply With Quote