Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 03-25-2024, 03:45 PM   #1
Dale Cooper
Dale Cooper began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle DX 2nd Gen
Kindle DX 2nd Gen - Book Transfer Problem

Hello everyone!

This is my first post here. The problem I have today is a little bit of a strange one. I recently bought a white Kindle DX 2nd Gen 4GB one and when I'm trying to drag and drop a book file (pdf or EPUB for example) the Kindle folder window (the documents folder) simply disappears and Kindle itself restarts. I'm using a USB cable.

Now, when I'm trying Calibre (the latest version) it gives me such an error: Error Communicating with device

calibre, version 7.7.0
ERROR: Error: Error communicating with the device

[Errno 9] Bad file descriptor

Traceback (most recent call last):
File "calibre\gui2\device.py", line 104, in run
File "calibre\gui2\device.py", line 638, in _upload_books
File "calibre\devices\usbms\driver.py", line 337, in upload_books
File "calibre\devices\usbms\cli.py", line 61, in put_file
File "calibre\__init__.py", line 575, in fsync
OSError: [Errno 9] Bad file descriptor

Can anyone help me out, please?
Dale Cooper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2024, 04:43 PM   #2
j.p.s
Grand Sorcerer
j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: pb360
The kindle's flash memory might be worn out and can no longer be written to.

Also, kindles can not read EPUB unless the kindle has been jailbroken and koreader installed.
j.p.s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2024, 05:25 PM   #3
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: All 4 Kinds: epub eink, Kindle, android eink, NxtPaper11
The DX/DXG only reads PDF (badly) and original mobi. Maybe text. Certainly not epub.

Also if it's been flat the date resets to 1970 and nothing works.

type
;date
into search and it will show Date, time and timezone.

It's unlikely to work if it has 1970

Only two ways to set date:
1) Connect to cellular. It can use 2G GSM EDGE or 3G (if an International version). Takes up to a day. If you are in the USA it likely can't connect. Mostly finds 2G EDGE here in Ireland though there is still 3G.

2) Jail break and setup USB Networking. I did jail break (I have covers as sleep screen now) but I didn't get networking working, but didn't spend much time.

Or it could be the Flash memory.

Allegedly it's low on RAM so never got the azw3 backport firmware of the K3.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/help/custo...MQC26VQQMM8XSW
Quote:
Kindle DX (2nd Generation) 2.5.8

Your serial number starts with B004 download this file.
After your device has fully updated, download and install the Kindle Services Update.

Your serial number starts with B005 download this file.
After your device has fully updated, download and install the Kindle Services Update.

Your serial number starts with B009 download this file.

Last edited by Quoth; 03-25-2024 at 05:28 PM.
Quoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2024, 08:47 PM   #4
tomsem
Grand Sorcerer
tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 15PM, Kindle Scribe, iPad mini 6, PocketBook InkPad Color 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by j.p.s View Post
The kindle's flash memory might be worn out and can no longer be written to.

Also, kindles can not read EPUB unless the kindle has been jailbroken and koreader installed.
I think it's Duokan for these Kindles, not KOReader.
tomsem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2024, 08:46 AM   #5
Dale Cooper
Dale Cooper began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle DX 2nd Gen
Thanks a lot, guys! I've tried scanning the Kindle folder itself (not sure if that did the trick, "Repair" and such), and for some weird reason, I've tried using Calibre again, and lo and behold! It worked, all those books I wanted were transferred without a problem! Even 154 MB pdf comic b/w comic - "From Hell"! (although it's a little bit hard reading it, but it's doable nevertheless)
Dale Cooper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2024, 11:57 AM   #6
j.p.s
Grand Sorcerer
j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: pb360
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomsem View Post
I forgot that KOReader is touch screen only.
j.p.s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2024, 11:59 AM   #7
axu2
Connoisseur
axu2 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Scribe
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dale Cooper View Post
Thanks a lot, guys! I've tried scanning the Kindle folder itself (not sure if that did the trick, "Repair" and such), and for some weird reason, I've tried using Calibre again, and lo and behold! It worked, all those books I wanted were transferred without a problem! Even 154 MB pdf comic b/w comic - "From Hell"! (although it's a little bit hard reading it, but it's doable nevertheless)
For black and white comics look at kindle comic converter a few posts down. You make a pictures folder at kindle root and put converted cbz inside. Better quality and full screen unlike pdf. You may need to hit alt z to get the comic to appear.

Last edited by axu2; 03-26-2024 at 12:01 PM.
axu2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2024, 12:22 PM   #8
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: All 4 Kinds: epub eink, Kindle, android eink, NxtPaper11
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomsem View Post
Does Duokan really work with the limited RAM of K1 (last FW 1.2.1), K2, DX and DXG (all last FW 2.5.8)?
The four primitive models with no back ported azw3/KF8. One Gen1 and three gen2 (though there are various options on DX / DXG).
Quoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2024, 04:33 PM   #9
tomsem
Grand Sorcerer
tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 15PM, Kindle Scribe, iPad mini 6, PocketBook InkPad Color 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quoth View Post
Does Duokan really work with the limited RAM of K1 (last FW 1.2.1), K2, DX and DXG (all last FW 2.5.8)?
The four primitive models with no back ported azw3/KF8. One Gen1 and three gen2 (though there are various options on DX / DXG).
I think I had it on my K2 (which I no longer have).
tomsem is offline   Reply With Quote