Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 03-08-2024, 12:53 PM   #61
NullNix
Guru
NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3, Kindle Oasis 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by DNSB View Post
The old Kindle Previewer used to have the capability to display an ebook as if it was being displayed on a specific model of Kindle. That capability is long gone and the only selections are generic (tablet, phone, Kindle E-reader).
Probably because it was sufficiently inaccurate as to be borderline useless for that purpose (I can confirm that its alleged reproduction of a Paperwhite could actually look quite different from the same book on an actual Paperwhite, different spacing, different pagination, different set of HTML elements handled etc etc).
NullNix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2024, 01:03 PM   #62
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: All 4 Kinds: epub eink, Kindle, android eink, NxtPaper11
Quote:
Originally Posted by NullNix View Post
Probably because it was sufficiently inaccurate as to be borderline useless for that purpose
I agree.
Quoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2024, 04:47 AM   #63
Ecosphere0620
Ecosphere0620 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 10th Generation
Smile Jailbreak for this version?

Any idea when we would get a jailbreak on this version?
Ecosphere0620 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2024, 11:22 AM   #64
Frogm4n
Zealot
Frogm4n ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frogm4n ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frogm4n ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frogm4n ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frogm4n ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frogm4n ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frogm4n ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frogm4n ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frogm4n ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frogm4n ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frogm4n ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Scribe
Jailbreaks are useless on anything 5.16.3 or above because (in short) Amazon changed how applications are run. You can still update a jailbroken device with a newer firmware and keep the jailbreak, but it won't run much of anything useful.

On top of that, jailbreaking is a game of chance. There is no timeline for anyone to find and implement a security bypass that leads to a jailbreak.
Frogm4n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2024, 12:56 PM   #65
tomsem
Grand Sorcerer
tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 15PM, Kindle Scribe, iPad mini 6, PocketBook InkPad Color 3
I had an interesting glitch since this update: I send Sudoku PDFs via Send to Kindle. I happen to have 2 Scribes and when I downloaded one I'd marked up on the other, one of the pages lacked the solution I'd worked out on the first. Markup I made on the 2nd Kindle on the same page did sync back to the first.

I did manual sync on both devices, still those annotations did not show up on second Scribe.

Then I removed download on the first and re-downloaded it. The 'solution' was gone.

So somehow that entire page of pen annotations failed to get backed up to cloud, even though local file had them in there (until I removed the download).

Both should be more or less continuously able to connect to WiFi as I never use Airplane mode.

So in reference to @jhowell's findings in post #9, there still seem to be some issues with syncing (at least of pen annotations).

It's been awhile since I experimented with sync between the two to see how well it worked, never saw any problems. Sync can be relatively slow (there's more data involved) but haven't seen it fail completely like this.

Of course it is troubling even if you only have one Scribe. How will you realize when some annotations haven't been backed up? You can view Notebooks and sticky notes with the Kindle app, but Print Replica pen annotations can only be viewed on Scribe.

Even if you can check it in theory, in practice the expectation is that annotations are backed up and in removing a download you cannot lose anything.

Last edited by tomsem; 03-18-2024 at 01:58 PM.
tomsem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2024, 10:44 AM   #66
tomsem
Grand Sorcerer
tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

5.16.8 imminant, apparently:

https://www.reddit.com/r/kindlescrib...s_coming_soon/
Old 03-28-2024, 12:29 PM   #67
BionicGecko
Addict
BionicGecko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BionicGecko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BionicGecko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BionicGecko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BionicGecko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BionicGecko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BionicGecko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BionicGecko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BionicGecko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BionicGecko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BionicGecko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Oasis 3 and Scribe
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomsem View Post
Why do the French always get the scoop on new firmware releases?
BionicGecko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2024, 07:14 PM   #68
tomsem
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by BionicGecko View Post
Why do the French always get the scoop on new firmware releases?
I do not know, maybe it is some obscure EU/France requirement.

In any case, these are 100% predictive.
Old 04-01-2024, 01:23 AM   #69
RequisiteAngle
RequisiteAngle began at the beginning.

Device: none
I currently have an unrooted kindle scribe at firmware 5.16.1 but it's forcing me to update before letting me use it. i.e. I'm sort of still in the tail end of the registration process, so I don't have access to most interfaces. Can I prevent the firmware update (I stopped it in the middle of an update) so I can root the device, and if I mess it up and accidentally go through with an update, is there a way for me to revert the device to 5.16.1? I'm a bit scared to do anything with this device at the moment just because I'm afraid of making a mistake.

I also posted about this here: https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...5&postcount=10
RequisiteAngle is offline   Reply With Quote