Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 03-05-2024, 05:27 PM   #1
Siesel
Siesel began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle PW4
Unhappy KUAL and everything else from the library gone after registering the device

I decided to be stupid today and I appeared to have completely wiped the contents of my library including all of my installed tools like KUAL and KOReader by just doing one thing: I signed into my Amazon account.

I wanted to do it because the device was somehow de-registered on Amazon's website and the use of the "Download and transfer via USB" option is not possible if you don't have a registered Kindle reader.

After signing into my account the library reset itself as quickly as possible, everything was gone and it downloaded 42 freaking dictionaries in all sorts of languages. It then also downloaded the few books I have on my Amazon account.

All of my previous stuff including the KUAL launcher are gone

What is the best way to recover from this?

Luckily I was smart enough to turn on "block updates" in KUAL before turning on WiFi and I'm still on the same jail-broken firmware version 5.11.2

Sincerely,
Siesel

Siesel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2024, 04:45 PM   #2
Siesel
Siesel began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle PW4
Lightbulb A happy ending

I did some digging today and found out that only the top level "documents" folder was affected, everything inside it was wiped and replaced by the new stuff I mentioned in my previous post.

All the "extensions" seem to be fine and to get back KUAL I had to run the installation process again, make sure you get the "collate" package if you are running on firmware greater than 5.9 if I recall correctly.

I made the mistake of trying the official non-collate package and it did not work for me.

After doing the install I got back the beloved KUAL booklet in my library, my happiness knew no bounds!

At-least I was able to use this as an excuse to update all of my extensions as well as KOReader

Everything seems to be back to normal now, I restocked my library with my local copies of ebooks, thank god I was not relying solely on my kindle for safe keeping

I hope my experience helps someone out there

Happy reading
Siesel is offline   Reply With Quote