Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 09-02-2014, 04:09 PM   #1
therealjoeblow
Zealot
therealjoeblow reads XML... blindfoldedtherealjoeblow reads XML... blindfoldedtherealjoeblow reads XML... blindfoldedtherealjoeblow reads XML... blindfoldedtherealjoeblow reads XML... blindfoldedtherealjoeblow reads XML... blindfoldedtherealjoeblow reads XML... blindfoldedtherealjoeblow reads XML... blindfoldedtherealjoeblow reads XML... blindfoldedtherealjoeblow reads XML... blindfoldedtherealjoeblow reads XML... blindfolded

Device: Samsung Android Tablet w/Moon+ Pro Reader
2.1 - Right Click (frequently) not working

I can't figure out why, but frequently the right-click in the calibre interface won't work, it does nothing. Once in a while it works just fine, but most often not. It works fine in all other programs and in the Windows interface itself, just not in calibre.

Cheers
TRJB
therealjoeblow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2014, 04:12 PM   #2
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by therealjoeblow View Post
I can't figure out why, but frequently the right-click in the calibre interface won't work, it does nothing. Once in a while it works just fine, but most often not. It works fine in all other programs and in the Windows interface itself, just not in calibre.

Cheers
TRJB
What OS, cuz it works 100% for me on W7.
BTW Knowing what context it failed under might help. (I might not use the feature that you are seeing failures with)
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-02-2014, 04:50 PM   #3
therealjoeblow
Zealot
therealjoeblow reads XML... blindfoldedtherealjoeblow reads XML... blindfoldedtherealjoeblow reads XML... blindfoldedtherealjoeblow reads XML... blindfoldedtherealjoeblow reads XML... blindfoldedtherealjoeblow reads XML... blindfoldedtherealjoeblow reads XML... blindfoldedtherealjoeblow reads XML... blindfoldedtherealjoeblow reads XML... blindfoldedtherealjoeblow reads XML... blindfoldedtherealjoeblow reads XML... blindfolded

Win7x64

It doesn't matter *where* in the interface - in the book list, when clicking on the book formats in the book details (like if I want to delete the epub version, etc), in the tag browser. It's not specific to any feature, just right clicking *anywhere* does nothing when it's not working.

Right now as I write this it's working fine... HOWEVER...

I then close calibre, check TaskManager to make sure its closed...

Then I relaunch calibre, wait till it loads... I can browse and navigate with the left-mouse button, but the right button does SFA now.

...At some point it will probably start working again, but I have no idea why it works sometimes and doesn't others.
Old 09-02-2014, 04:53 PM   #4
therealjoeblow
Zealot

...UPDATE...

I went to "Edit metadata" on one of my titles, right clicked anywhere on that form and it closed the form (just disappeared).

Then the right click worked for a few times on the main interface. But after a few clicks it stopped again.

I tried the same thing, and the Edit Metadata form disappeared again, but the right-click did NOT start working, so it seems to be random and not reproducable in a pattern like that.
Old 09-02-2014, 05:41 PM   #5
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
@therealjoeblow - is this specific to 2.1, did you try re-installing calibre 2.0 or installing the 32bit or portable edition ==>> Previous calibre releases

You could also try closing down all other programs including those in the tray/notify area, and/or try running in Safe Mode

If your keyboard has a menu key (normally it lives betwixt the right ctrl and alt keys), does it function as expected, the Shift/F10 is an alternative to the menu key.

BR

Last edited by BetterRed; 09-02-2014 at 05:44 PM.
BetterRed is online now   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-02-2014, 05:53 PM   #6
goldilocks
Addict
goldilocks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.goldilocks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.goldilocks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.goldilocks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.goldilocks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.goldilocks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.goldilocks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.goldilocks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.goldilocks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.goldilocks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.goldilocks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-505
Maybe try a different mouse...
goldilocks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2014, 06:44 AM   #7
Divingduck
Wizard
Divingduck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Divingduck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Divingduck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Divingduck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Divingduck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Divingduck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Divingduck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Divingduck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Divingduck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Divingduck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Divingduck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-650
No, I guess not.

I recognize sometimes a not correct behavior as well. Moreover, most time I thought, I did something wrong because it was a one-off and it happens infrequently. However, in the last two days I look a bit more carefully, what I am doing.

Some minutes ago, I open an EPUB in the viewer. The viewer window was on in front of the calibre main window (in background, maximized). Then I did a right click on the book list in the main window, because I want to change metadata for another book. Calibre opens instead of context menu a new ebook viewer window with the selected book. This happen three times after another (I select every time a different book from the list) and then next time I could open the right click menu. Once the context menu displays, the error wasn't repeatable.

Edit: System Windows Vista 64bit, Calibre 2.1

Last edited by Divingduck; 09-03-2014 at 06:50 AM.
Divingduck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2014, 07:17 AM   #8
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
I cant replicate any right click issues in my three windows test machines. Generally speaking, try upgrading your mouse driver or try a different mouse. Historically, Qt has had issues with products from Wacom on windows.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2014, 07:32 AM   #9
DrChiper
Bookish
DrChiper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrChiper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrChiper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrChiper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrChiper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrChiper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrChiper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrChiper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrChiper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrChiper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrChiper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PC, t1, t2, t3, aura 2 v1, clara HD, Libra 2, Nxtpaper 11
Not particularly a mouse problem, but I have noticed that while using some edit-book buttons, like find, replace, and such, sometimes nothing seems to happen (no visual feedback when it is expected). Clicking again solves this always thereafter and all works perfectly thereafter. It is like calibre is missing the click event.
I admit, I click fast, but I did not change my habits when I switched from 1.48 to 2.1, and I never encountered it in the past before.

All on Win 7 64 bit, using calibre 2.1
DrChiper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2014, 09:09 AM   #10
Divingduck
Wizard
Divingduck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Divingduck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Divingduck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Divingduck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Divingduck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Divingduck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Divingduck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Divingduck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Divingduck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Divingduck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Divingduck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I just had in the editor a similar thing. I did some changes in a book (deleting some lines in the code). After that I mark two words and did a right click because I want copy the words. The context menu didn't pop up but it deletes the words instead.

This looks like the last action won't released after it was processed. Once more a one-timer with no chance to repeat.

Kovid, If I remember well, there was long time ago a similar problem and you did a manual workaround to solve this. It was something with right click for going into a context menu. It happens sometimes that the right click remembers the last action so that the user was not able to open in the menu.
Old 09-03-2014, 09:29 AM   #11
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
2.0 on XP (yes, I know which was why I was not otherwise reporting)

2 things I "see":
1)Sometimes it takes a 2nd right click
2) The area of the click seems tighter. Must be on the text vs in the field
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2014, 09:59 AM   #12
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
@Divingduck: What that sounds like is not a right click not registering, but registering too fast. So what happens is when you press the right mouse button, the popup menu opens, if the mouse moves a little, the cursor goes over one of the entries in the menu, then when you release the button, that entry is activated. In your case this would likely have been the Cut text menu entry.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2014, 10:29 AM   #13
Divingduck
Wizard

Yes, this seems correct.

I have an additional observation. If I open a book via book list from the main window, the book will not stay highlighted blue in the book list (on the face of it) after it open in the ebook viewer. However, if I look on a yes/no column I can see that there is still a selection in a light gray. This behavior is different to Linux where it stays highlighted in blue. It happens only on my Windows system (Vista 64bit).

I just check this on an other system (Laptop Vista 32bit) - same problem but one difference, the highlighting came back after I close the viewer.

Last edited by Divingduck; 09-03-2014 at 10:37 AM.
Old 09-03-2014, 12:10 PM   #14
therealjoeblow
Zealot

Well, I'm fairly sure it's a problem with Calibre and not the mice...

I have tried:

-2 different genuine Microsoft bluetooth mice
-the built in touchpad on my Dell Inspiron
-A wired USB generic (Dynex) mouse

The BT/Touchpad/USB wired all use different drivers as far as I know, and I get *exactly* the same issues as reported above with all of them, including the behavior where right-clicking in "Edit metadata" closes the form.

I also get the behavior noted above by one of the other users in the editor, no right-click functionality.

It also doesn't make any difference if I right-click normally (fast) or if i hold down the button. When it doesn't respond it doesn't respond in either case.

I have no "menu" key, and Shift/F10 does nothing whatsoever in Calibre, but it does bring up the right-click interface as expected in: Explorer, Firefox, Word, etc...

There are no other issues whatsoever on this machine with any of these mice, only in Calibre.

TRJB

Last edited by therealjoeblow; 09-03-2014 at 12:14 PM.
Old 09-03-2014, 05:26 PM   #15
therealjoeblow
Zealot

SOLVED... (I think)

I noticed when using the mouse wheel in the editor to fast-scroll through a document that I got a popup from a program called "HandyAndy.exe" that said that there were several hundred hotkeys detected in the last 1200ms or something like that, and asked did I want to keep monitoring.

I checked what HandyAndy.exe is, it's a component of the Andy Android Emulator, I guess what HandyAndy does is look for mouse movements and translate them into touchscreen emulated gestures for the android emulator to work.

I task-killed HandyAndy and all seems to work fine in Calibre. Funny thing is that this does NOT affect anything else and never seemed to affect Calibre v1.xx either, only started when I upgraded to v2 this week.

Anyway, sorry for the false alarm, looks like my problem is solved.

Thanks
-TRJB