Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 11-28-2022, 12:23 PM   #301
Aleron Ives
Wizard
Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2
There are no tools to trick the Kobo into using the good interface, the way you can use kepubify to force Kobo to use the WebKit renderer, instead of ADE?
Aleron Ives is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2022, 01:37 PM   #302
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aleron Ives View Post
There are no tools to trick the Kobo into using the good interface, the way you can use kepubify to force Kobo to use the WebKit renderer, instead of ADE?
When registered, there's only one interface on a Kobo. Wherever you got the idea there's another interface, is all wrong.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-28-2022, 01:47 PM   #303
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: All 4 Kinds: epub eink, Kindle, android eink, NxtPaper11
Quote:
The only options are the default home page or else in config have sideloadedMode=true which makes "My Books" the homepage.

Very old firmware had a different home page that was a mix of MRU titles and other things as tiles; you could dismiss all tiles except the books you'd opened. So the My Books can do similar to that but more. You really don't want to go back that far and probably only Aura HD H2O original and earlier work with that FW.
Quoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2022, 03:18 PM   #304
Nikoz
Enthusiast
Nikoz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nikoz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nikoz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nikoz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nikoz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nikoz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nikoz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nikoz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nikoz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nikoz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nikoz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
AFAIK there isn't, sideloaded audiobooks are read with the bad interface, which quite frankly is useless once you've toyed with it for a minute.
Nikoz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2022, 04:23 PM   #305
Aleron Ives
Wizard
Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nikoz View Post
AFAIK there isn't, sideloaded audiobooks are read with the bad interface, which quite frankly is useless once you've toyed with it for a minute.
That's a pity. Maybe there can be a firmware patch at some point that will force the good interface to always be used.
Aleron Ives is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-28-2022, 06:19 PM   #306
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
Sadly, no. From what I remember in a conversation a while back, the simple interface was put into place to allow some testing of the audio. It was never intended for the end user. The interface for the Kobo synced audiobooks requires more than just changing the file name.
DNSB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2022, 06:21 PM   #307
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
When registered, there's only one interface on a Kobo. Wherever you got the idea there's another interface, is all wrong.
Jon, I think he is referring to the simple audio controls for sideloaded MP3Z files compared to the better features used for synced from Kobo audiobooks.
DNSB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2022, 04:33 AM   #308
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DNSB View Post
Jon, I think he is referring to the simple audio controls for sideloaded MP3Z files compared to the better features used for synced from Kobo audiobooks.
Well, he should have said so. Oh well.
Old 11-29-2022, 09:00 AM   #309
Nikoz
Enthusiast
Nikoz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nikoz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nikoz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nikoz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nikoz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nikoz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nikoz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nikoz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nikoz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nikoz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nikoz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Well, he should have said so. Oh well.

Or you should have properly read and tried to understand the post you're replying to and, failing that, fought the urge to reply anyway.
Nikoz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2022, 09:10 AM   #310
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: All 4 Kinds: epub eink, Kindle, android eink, NxtPaper11
Ah audio books!
Pointless on an eInk ereader, especially a Kobo. My €45 Huawei has longer run time for audio and if there is no DRM I use Musicolet Android app. It can use all DRMed sources of music or audiobooks by installing the app, though some only install on my newer €100 Alcatel Android phone, which also will beat a Kobo for audio playback time.

Also seems a pain to even add 3rd party audio to a Sage.
Quoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2022, 11:12 PM   #311
Phobo
Phobo began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Clara 2E, Boox Nova Air
Hi,
When I open browser at Beta Features to download ebook via website, it is always google homepage so I have to type the address, is there anyway to change the homepage of the browser?
Phobo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2022, 04:40 PM   #312
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar
ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara HD; Nook ST w/Glowlight, (2015) Glowlight Plus, Paperwhite 3
Man, I just got a Clara 2E as a gift for my better half. I connected it to Calibre so when they open it, it will already have all the books currently on their Glowlight 3. I also copied fonts from my HD to the 2E.

Comparing the HD and the 2E side-by-side, there really is a noticeable improvement from the Carta to the Carta 1200. I was surprised, expecting it to be fractional if visible at all. But no, it is pretty clear.

Now I need to sneak their library card and sign the 2E in to Overdrive.
ZodWallop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2022, 01:00 PM   #313
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZodWallop View Post
Man, I just got a Clara 2E as a gift for my better half. I connected it to Calibre so when they open it, it will already have all the books currently on their Glowlight 3. I also copied fonts from my HD to the 2E.

Comparing the HD and the 2E side-by-side, there really is a noticeable improvement from the Carta to the Carta 1200. I was surprised, expecting it to be fractional if visible at all. But no, it is pretty clear.

Now I need to sneak their library card and sign the 2E in to Overdrive.
I'm giving a PW5 as a gift for Christmas. But I am not opening and setting it up. I already have enough info stored in Calibre to know what eBooks are on the existing Kindle. So it's easy enough to set it up on Christmas without taking much time.
Old 12-07-2022, 04:10 PM   #314
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar
ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
I'm giving a PW5 as a gift for Christmas. But I am not opening and setting it up. I already have enough info stored in Calibre to know what eBooks are on the existing Kindle. So it's easy enough to set it up on Christmas without taking much time.
I wouldn't set up a reader for anyone else either. But with this one, I am going to be the built-in IT guy and content provider. The Kobo's even logged in to my Kobo account, so they get my T.E.D. Klein horror books whether they want 'em or not!

I'll tell you, given the work on it, it was tempting to keep the 2E myself and just gift the older HD. Luckily, I decided not to be tacky.
Old 12-09-2022, 11:58 PM   #315
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar

It's $20 off right now. I posted in the Deals forum.