Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Onyx Boox

Notices

Old 07-06-2017, 02:53 AM   #121
mdp
Wizard
mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
About TeamViewer: yes, apparently it could be possible to run it locally only. Since the article says «Note: If you choose Accept exclusively, TeamViewer will disconnect from the internet – that means it will no longer be possible to make or receive connections using the TeamViewer ID [...]», and given that the local addresses cannot be reached by the online TV servers, then the two local TV "client" and "server" should be autonomous. Good find.
The article: TV Knowledge-Base - Can-TeamViewer-be-used-within-a-local-network-LAN-only
mdp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2017, 08:59 AM   #122
eReader fan
Addict
eReader fan has top level security clearance to Area 51.eReader fan has top level security clearance to Area 51.eReader fan has top level security clearance to Area 51.eReader fan has top level security clearance to Area 51.eReader fan has top level security clearance to Area 51.eReader fan has top level security clearance to Area 51.eReader fan has top level security clearance to Area 51.eReader fan has top level security clearance to Area 51.eReader fan has top level security clearance to Area 51.eReader fan has top level security clearance to Area 51.eReader fan has top level security clearance to Area 51.

Device: Onyx Nova pro and Hisense A2 pro
About Teamviewer: Good find to you man! I have my raspberry pi · and both Onyx connected via the wifi I create from my mobile. Anyways, I need internet for most ot the things I do.

About the mouse pinter: Maybe I explained bad. What I mean is that is not confortable to use that draging-pointer. I am dreaming on a "touchable" pointer (like the normal touch screen. WHere you touch is where you click). In a 10" screen is not bad at all, but in a 6/7" is terrific. There are touch version for Teamviewer, but they are for Windows 8 and 10. Any for linux at this moment. I think your VNC runs much smoother than mine.

About memoryVScpu needs: Thanks for the info. And did you checked the memory consumption? Wich device do you have? I would want to try a bigger size RAM eReader like i86, N96 or Kobo Aura One. Also thinked maybe creating a swap partition or something would speed things up, buut this still don't help CPU. About what you didn't understood of my message I got of low memory, it was with Teamviewer in the C67ML,with 512MB ram, and then chnged the resolution to 800x600 instead of 1024x"something", also with the M96 with Vnc, 'cause sometimes becomes insane laggy.
eReader fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-08-2017, 10:23 AM   #123
Kumabjorn
Basculocolpic
Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3 WiFi, Kindle 4SO, Kindle for Android, Sony PRS-350 and PRS-T1
This is about the Max Carta, but except for the screen those two devices are the same in all other respects, so I've chosen to post this here in the hope that someone might be able to provide some suggestions.

I have an old HP Envy x2 that runs on a 1340 x 766 screen (or something in that neighborhood), I installed TightVNC on it and then Remote Ripple Pro on the Max Carta. After thinking a little I was finally able to connect the laptop with the e-ink device and just use it as a screen. Absolutely wonderful.

But I also recognize that there are a few problems that still need resolving. The laptop has a screen in landscape mode, but I'd like to use the Max Carta as a second screen in portrait mode.

So how do I go about having it recognized as a second screen for starters? The screen resolution utility (right click anywhere on screen background in Windows) does not list any resolutions higher than the HP screen, so on the Max Carta only part of the screen can be viewed, despite the native resolution being 2200 x 1650, and more importantly it doesn't recognize the Max Carta as a secondary screen since it isn't connected through HDMI.

Can I do anything in the registry or are there other utilities that will let me set the Max Carta as an extended secondary screen and run it at full resolution?

Last edited by Kumabjorn; 07-08-2017 at 10:26 AM.
Kumabjorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2017, 11:19 AM   #124
gbraad
gbraad began at the beginning.

Device: Boox (several)
Has anyone tried to use a Miracast Sink (Wifi Display receiver)?
gbraad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2017, 12:14 PM   #125
gbraad
gbraad began at the beginning.

Device: Boox (several)
Quote:
Can I do anything in the registry or are there other utilities that will let me set the Max Carta as an extended secondary screen and run it at full resolution?
A tool that could work is called VirtualMonitor, which creates a virtual screen and allows you to connect to it using VNC, and this screenspace can be used to extend your desktop. However, this does not work on Windows 10... but if you have Windows 7 or 8, you're in luck
gbraad is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-09-2017, 01:24 AM   #126
Kumabjorn
Basculocolpic
Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gbraad View Post
A tool that could work is called VirtualMonitor, which creates a virtual screen and allows you to connect to it using VNC, and this screenspace can be used to extend your desktop. However, this does not work on Windows 10... but if you have Windows 7 or 8, you're in luck
And... off course I upgraded it to ten and can no longer downgrade. Never thought I'd encounter this situation.
Old 07-09-2017, 01:50 AM   #127
mdp
Wizard
mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kumabjorn View Post
I installed TightVNC on it and then Remote Ripple Pro on the Max Carta. After thinking a little I was finally able to connect the laptop with the e-ink device and just use it as a screen. Absolutely wonderful.
(...And connecting them through Wi-Fi, I guess.) Have you tried TightVNC (server) with bVNC (client, either the original or the customized one I posted) instead of Remote Ripple Pro? What would be the difference in performance?

Quote:
The screen resolution utility (right click anywhere on screen background in Windows) does not list any resolutions higher than the HP screen, so on the Max Carta only part of the screen can be viewed, despite the native resolution being 2200 x 1650
You should find an option on the remote desktop client to enlarge the screen. (bVNC has it - use the tablet menu while the the remote desktop is running).
The only resolution setting you should impose to the laptop would be to keep a 4:3 ratio (e.g.: 1024x768, which is probably too small, or 1280x960, or 1440x1080). But if you wanted to use 2200x1650, then you should modify the DPI settings to make things readable - you should customize the appearance, because desktop OSs are normally set for 96 DPI, and the tablet is 200+ DPI.

Quote:
are there other utilities that will let me set the Max Carta as an extended secondary screen
I have not checked this directly, but I see that RealVNC 5.0.x server manages multiple displays - maybe this can be part of the solution...
Also: some VNC servers (actually, this should be the default) create a second screen, they do not mirror the main one (which is actually more complicated).

Quote:
I'd like to use the Max Carta as a second screen in portrait mode
Although this does not fulfil the "second screen" part, I wish to remind just in case - you can set your desktop OS to be portrait instead of landscape. Some MS-Windows configurations (graphics drivers etc.) rotated the screen with [CTRL]+[ALT]+[Arrows]

Last edited by mdp; 07-09-2017 at 02:01 AM. Reason: Addendum; fixed expression
Old 07-09-2017, 04:37 PM   #128
mdp
Wizard

I tried RemoteRipple (the free version, 2.5.1): it complained of "No internet connection" - which was substantially false in spite of the very hopefully bad phrasing, as the connection to the desktop machine was very much on.

I also tried TeamViewer ("for Remote Control" application), which would not start complaining that GL (or some diction related to hardware acceleration) was not available on the tablet.

Both of them on the Max Carta
Old 07-09-2017, 05:00 PM   #129
Kumabjorn
Basculocolpic

You need to be on the same network. I have run TightVNC with Remote Ripple Pro now through several sessions and it works just fine except that only part of the screen is used.
Also I'm a bit confused because the Max Carta is a 2200 x 1650 resolution, but the included PDF manual stated 1600 x 1200. So I don't know what kind of alternate resolutions I could try on the laptop.
Old 07-09-2017, 05:28 PM   #130
mdp
Wizard

Quote:
You need to be on the same network. I have run TightVNC with Remote Ripple Pro now through several sessions and it works just fine
It may be that I am using "free", while you are using "pro". It could also be that RemoteRipple only works with that specific TightVNC server - but this would be an abomination, hard to believe.

Quote:
except that only part of the screen is used.
Have you looked for an option to fit the remote screen to the local screen? EDIT: For example: if you press the "menu" button of the Max Carta during a session, what comes up?

Quote:
Also I'm a bit confused because the Max Carta is a 2200 x 1650 resolution, but the included PDF manual stated 1600 x 1200. So I don't know what kind of alternate resolutions I could try on the laptop.
The included PDF manual must be the one of the original Boox Max, lo-res. I would advise that you try 1280x960 with the 13'' (that makes for a virtual 120DPI; the natural resolution for a 13'' monitor would be 1024x768 - which would be the resolution of choice if you kept the tablet at a full stretched arm's distance). Of course, this assumes that you configure the VNC client to enlarge the remote screen to the full resolution of the Max Carta.

Last edited by mdp; 07-10-2017 at 01:56 PM.
Old 07-09-2017, 05:49 PM   #131
Kumabjorn
Basculocolpic

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdp View Post

Have you looked for an option to fit the remote screen to the local screen? EDIT: For example: if you press the "menu" button of the Max Carta during a session, what comes up?

The included PDF manual must be the one of the original Boox Max, lo-res. I would advise that you try 1280x960 with the 13'' (that makes for a virtual 120DPI; the natural resolution for a 13'' monitor would be 1024x768 - which would be the resolution of choice if you kept the tablet at at least a full arm's distance). Of course, this assumes that you configure the VNC client to enlarge the remote screen to the full resolution of the Max Carta.

On the menu is a fit to screen alternative, but then it gets kind of small since the resolution is higher on the Max Carta.

About the second part, if I understand you correctly I should change the resolution to 1024x768 on the laptop and then select fit to screen on the Max Carta?
Old 07-09-2017, 06:43 PM   #132
mdp
Wizard

Quote:
On the menu is a fit to screen alternative, but then it gets kind of small since the resolution is higher on the Max Carta.

About the second part, if I understand you correctly I should change the resolution to 1024x768 on the laptop and then select fit to screen on the Max Carta?
That "Fit to screen" should /enlarge/ the small resolution screen of the remote source, the laptop, to the high resolution screen of the Max Carta. You understand correctly: set the laptop screen you are mirroring to a 4:3 resolution (the Max Carta is 4:3) and to a resolution which is adequate for the 13'', such as 1280x960 (otherwise you should tweak other settings to make things readable); then the remote desktop client must fit that small resolution screen to the high resolution screen of the Max Carta.

If that "Fit to screen" of Remote Ripple does not work as expected, try bVNC. It works. Use the Menu button while in session, and among the first entries in the context menu there is one to select the alternatives of Screen Scaling - "Zoomable", "Fit to screen" and "1:1".
Old 07-09-2017, 11:30 PM   #133
Kumabjorn
Basculocolpic

@mdp, I finally realized that we are probably talking off two slightly different things, and the fault is entirely mine. I have the HP laptop in landscape mode, but I want to use the Onyx Boox Max Carta in portrait mode. I should have made that more obvious.
I can rotate the settings for the HP screen, but it becomes unstable, any physical contact that is the slightest severe and it jumps back to landscape and flickers?
Old 07-10-2017, 10:58 AM   #134
Kumabjorn
Basculocolpic

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdp View Post
That "Fit to screen" should /enlarge/ the small resolution screen of the remote source, the laptop, to the high resolution screen of the Max Carta. You understand correctly: set the laptop screen you are mirroring to a 4:3 resolution (the Max Carta is 4:3) and to a resolution which is adequate for the 13'', such as 1280x960 (otherwise you should tweak other settings to make things readable); then the remote desktop client must fit that small resolution screen to the high resolution screen of the Max Carta.

If that "Fit to screen" of Remote Ripple does not work as expected, try bVNC. It works. Use the Menu button while in session, and among the first entries in the context menu there is one to select the alternatives of Screen Scaling - "Zoomable", "Fit to screen" and "1:1".
By seeing the laptop screen to 1024x768 I was able to get the 4:3 ratio and then selecting fit to screen I did get a perfect fit. The next challenge was to reverse that over to portrait and since it is a touch screen it was kind of manageable. Mousing around when right is up and down is left makes you bonkers. The laptop screen is way too weak (low nits) to be used outdoors. Thanks to your diligent support I was able to make it. My usual appreciation for that involves a lollipop, so make sure you bring yours.
Old 07-10-2017, 01:50 PM   #135
mdp
Wizard

Quote:
Thanks to your diligent support I was able to make it. My usual appreciation for that involves a lollipop, so make sure you bring yours.
You are welcome, although I am not sure what I should bring! : D

Did you use RemoteRipple or bVNC? Did you notice any difference of performance between the two?

BTW: you could also try richer resolutions, such as 1440x1080. It really depends on how far you keep the tablet from the eyes. I do my tests on 1600x1200.